Geocaching logo kayakers.

kleetus

Nice.

I have a kayak and wish I did more geocaching in it. I feel I should always kayak with another person for safety's sake and with friends work schedules (or moving away), I have done very little kayaking since I started geocaching a year ago.

Hence why I drove almost 4 hours for an awesome geo-event at Juniper Springs, FL in August.

(Hope you've had no further bad gator encounters lately, kleetus. :laughing:)

Edited by joshism

That is so cool....I have always wanted to do kayaking but... don't laugh... I am a large woman and always think I will just sink one so have not yet bothered.

But it does look like fun and would be a perfect thing to add to 4x4ing and Caching.

Nah, kayaks are super buoyant! We have kayaked to several caches and absolutely loved it. We hid a cache last year that required a kayak to get to it, or so we thought! Turns out no one wanted to take us up on the offer to use our kayaks, and they found other ways to get to the cache (loooong hike or swimming!). I would really like to find some more kayak-accessible caches this summer.

Kleetus....Way cool pic!

Skeezicks....Old Town Dirigo, perhaps? Looks just like the bow tip of my boat!

CPM2440....don't worry about something like that. Go to a real paddler's shop, one that has demos. Discuss with the outfitter your concerns & they'll help you out. Somebody like this; http://belhavenpaddlesports.com In the meantime, read up over at www.paddling.net. There, you can read boat reviews, trip reports for your area, gear, etc.!

Cache on Paddle People!

thanks for the encouragement guys, very kind of you. I also have a little one who is only 4 and hubby as well so we would need like a super buoyant one or more then one I guess.

When my daughter was about 10 she begged for a kayak for her birthday. They weren't unreasonably priced, so we decided to get her one. After we bought it and planned for her first outing, it dawned on us that she couldn't go out by herself. We had to buy another one! She tricked us! We only have two, but really need 3 more now that my kids are older and bigger. What I REALLY want is a kayak trailer so we don't have to lift the kayaks on top of the van when we transport them.

Great call MuckSavage, that's exactly what I have.It is a Dirigo 106. I am lucky enough to live just a few minutes from the lake and the river...and within 20 minutes of several more lakes and other river access. I also enjoy using my kayak to get to some great secluded areas where I like to camp that are only accesable by boat. It's nice to run into other geocachers who kayak as well on here.

are the inflatable ones any good?

We have a SeaEagle 330 and a SeaEagle PaddleSki and have enjoyed them both - complete with young kids and large dogs, Newfoundlands, on board

The 330 is more compact and ideal for 1 or 1 + child

The Paddleski is much larger and hugely versatile - I can't count how many kids have been on this and it's never tipped on us - and we've used it off the coast with two adults and a big Newfoundland aboard for water training - we also sail it occasionally :)

Our experience is that you get the quality you pay for, we use these all year and in 5 years have only repaired one tiny hole in the 330 (totally my fault) and the PS has reinforced hull material.

Now that our son is 9, we have had to buy him his own, kid sized, plastic boat so that he can be more independent and we found choosing a child specific Dagger Dynamo is like buying their first bike - pick the right size and they enjoy it rather than getting frustrated as they wait to grow into it.

Check your storage, check your transport options and ideally go try one out

Have fun & stay safe

Edited by SaltercreaseRangers

Nice pic, indeed, Kleetus! Hey, that picture wasn't taken up here in Jersey was it? Sure looks like cedar water and one of those kayakers looks familiar...

I agree with my friend Muck that your best bet, TeamCassie, is to find a reputable dealer and try some out. The one Muck mentioned allows test paddles and even has their own lake. Many shops take used boats on consigment so you may be able to stretch your dollars that way. If you are concerned about your "body habitus" as we say in my profession, you may want to look at "sit upons" rather than "sit-ins" as they may be more comfortable for you.

Hey Muck: I think this pick, taken day after New Year's, may be on the same body of water as yours. Game Creek?d9c27511-7a68-4189-a4d4-ec8258ea37b4.jpg

Edited by Michaelcycle

Here' a few cachers who got together for some kayaking. It wasn't an event but fourteen cachers came. We saw that the color of these kayaks were close to the colors of the geocaching logo.

1b3c51d9-039b-43ae-b82c-52af7d618486.jpg

Kool kayakers!that was a great idea gettin yer yaks in order as the logo!-I found our first while kayaking,the water level was up high so we got to pull up next to it tied to a tree,and so began our search for more!