British Cache Containers

Brian~!

Hey folks,

I'm currently playing around with some container ideas in my head and wanted to know what was out there to be used in British markets.

Obviously the old 35mm canister is a popular one, as is the nano (ask anyone in London!). I've seen the usual tupperware from time to time and have three tupperware caches in my hallway at the moment waiting for me to find the right spots.

In particular, I spotted a location to possibly place an underwater cache today and was wondering if anyone else has placed one before, what if they could recommend a water tight cache as I'm not sure how long simple tupperware would hold up while being submerged.

Thoughts?

Brian/Miyagawa

Hey folks,

I'm currently playing around with some container ideas in my head and wanted to know what was out there to be used in British markets.

Obviously the old 35mm canister is a popular one, as is the nano (ask anyone in London!). I've seen the usual tupperware from time to time and have three tupperware caches in my hallway at the moment waiting for me to find the right spots.

In particular, I spotted a location to possibly place an underwater cache today and was wondering if anyone else has placed one before, what if they could recommend a water tight cache as I'm not sure how long simple tupperware would hold up while being submerged.

Thoughts?

Brian/Miyagawa

What about a screw-top tupperware pot? Or one of those metallic outdoors drinks bottles with the rubber seal top? Or a Kilner jam jar? Or a film developing tank? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developing_tank)

That's just off the top of my head, not having ever attempted (nor likely) to hide an underwater one.

:anitongue:

This question about what containers are suitable for using underwater comes up from time to time in these forums. One of the other problems (apart from making sure it's watertight) is how to keep it weighted under the water.

You might like to browse through these links to some previous discussions to consider what most suits your aims:

Discussions about underwater caches.

I don't think there are many underwater caches in UK - We passed by this one recently but the owner has now disabled it and I rather doubt that the co-ords info is still available:

"What's in your gullet?"

MrsB

Thoughts?

Brian/Miyagawa

I made some cache containers from PVC waste pipe, sourced from my local "Plumb Centre". The pipe was cut to the desired length and an 'inspection cap' (also from the Plumb Centre) glued onto the ends. The removable inspection cap cover is a sort of bayonet fitting and is sealed with an 'O' ring. It's designed to stop water leaking out so I expect it will also stop water leaking in. I have 15 of them out in various locations; all holding numerous sheets of A4/A5 print-out and none of them has ever leaked water in. OK.... they weren't actually submerged but it might be worth a try and it wasn't expensive.

I've done a few underwater caches and the least successful was one of those metal water bottles - even the smallest amount of silt in the water clogs up the rubber ring seal, clogging it up and making it seriously difficult to get the lid off. On top of that, this repeatedly happening grids that ring seal and it soon starts to leak.

I've done a few underwater caches and the least successful was one of those metal water bottles - even the smallest amount of silt in the water clogs up the rubber ring seal, clogging it up and making it seriously difficult to get the lid off. On top of that, this repeatedly happening grids that ring seal and it soon starts to leak.

I made some cache containers from PVC waste pipe, sourced from my local "Plumb Centre". The pipe was cut to the desired length and an 'inspection cap' (also from the Plumb Centre) glued onto the ends. The removable inspection cap cover is a sort of bayonet fitting and is sealed with an 'O' ring. It's designed to stop water leaking out so I expect it will also stop water leaking in.

Did a cache that was in the local canal, which was made out of a U bend!

Things were dry, and enough room for log book and small TB's!

It was submerged -had a weight attached- near to the cache owners boat, so got well looked after!

I've seen a few water containers and many work well. Including one of those money tubes designed for using on the beach, a regular old ammocan, a small pelican case, a plastic pipe with screw on ends, a waterproof match pot.....

All worked and the contents were dry. Think my favourite was the pelican case as it was also a nice size.

As Mrs B says, you also have to weight them to make sure they sink. Or you could leave them float - the ammo can I found was floating and just tethered to the bank.

I started searching about this and found the otterBox!

It say:The OtterBox is perfect for storing geocaches underwater. Its waterproof construction can withstand submersion up to 100 feet. The gray color exterior also blends in with the environment, which will provide a challenge for the geocacher. Its dimensions are 6.8” width x 4.5” length x 1.8” height. You can purchase this item for $16.95 through Shop4Swag.com.

Here it is .... but was is it?

14948755a40bcf47f0caffa199edd7494eca9e3c_large.jpg

I started searching about this and found the otterBox!

It says:The OtterBox is perfect for storing geocaches underwater. Its waterproof construction can withstand submersion up to 100 feet. The gray color exterior also blends in with the environment, which will provide a challenge for the geocacher. Its dimensions are 6.8” width x 4.5” length x 1.8” height. You can purchase this item for $16.95 through Shop4Swag.com.

Here it is .... but was is it?

Often used by TV/film crews to keep the equipment in. (Larger versions of the box, obviously!)

(Large ones would make great cache boxes... Providing you win the lottery to pay for it! :lol: )

Are you allowed an underwater cache that only divers can get to ? It would be fun to have a Geocache say at Stoney Cove, the inland dive site near me...

Yes! In fact there used to be a diving cache which started at Stoney Cove: "20,000 leagues under the Pub!".

By the way, you wouldn't like to go and check up on "What's in your gullet?", would you? :lol: (See link in post #3) I'd just like somebody to try and find it again...

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

How about submerging an object with the final co-ord stamped into it. I have seen dog tag like items stamped witha set of metal punches. The final cache can be somewhere nice and dry but you still have the fun with underwater bit.

I like it.......I like it a lot! ;) Hmmm......now, gotta think of somewhere where to hide it.......heh-heh!

How about submerging an object with the final co-ord stamped into it. I have seen dog tag like items stamped witha set of metal punches. The final cache can be somewhere nice and dry but you still have the fun with underwater bit.

I like it.......I like it a lot! ;) Hmmm......now, gotta think of somewhere where to hide it.......heh-heh!