All african geocach

koudis

Hi,

I'm planning to make a really big trip on Africa. But, I don't know how can I see all caches in Africa. It's almost impossible to find them using geocaching google map.

Do you really NEED to see all the caches in Africa - I doubt it as no matter how big your trip is you are not going to be coming near to that many I suspect. Do you really mean South Africa?

Why don't you define the areas where you will be caching and then use google maps with sufficient zoom to plan your routes - its always worked for me.

Alternative start making pocket queries and using something like GSAK to list caches in your own predefined polygons or by country.

Hope this helps

Trev

Added

I should have mentioned if you are coming to South Africa I am sure you will find the local cachers friendly and helpful and I am sure there would be some who could go caching with you or guide you to caches of excellence and likewise advise you to avoid really dull ones. You have come to the right place to ask these questions!

Edited by trevorh7000
Hi,

I'm planning to make a really big trip on Africa. But, I don't know how can I see all caches in Africa. It's almost impossible to find them using geocaching google map.

Do you really NEED to see all the caches in Africa - I doubt it as no matter how big your trip is you are not going to be coming near to that many I suspect. Do you really mean South Africa?

Why don't you define the areas where you will be caching and then use google maps with sufficient zoom to plan your routes - its always worked for me.

Alternative start making pocket queries and using something like GSAK to list caches in your own predefined polygons or by country.

Hope this helps

Trev

This the trip, that I'm planning. http://www.geekspedition.com/

WOW -what a trip!! Would love to do something like this. :D

You can join us. No problem. But, currently after last thinking, it's big probability that I'll abandon it. But, I'm not the leader of expedition. So it's still possible to join it. I think that I have to do something smaller before this.

Thanks for your help.

You are welcome to ask about African caching experience. I have done a few countries.

Hennie in Polokwane has also traveled and cached extensively across Africa.

Caches are few and far between - and many off the beaten track.

I encourage you to leave caches (especially Earthcaches) behind as you travel around.

Ok that REALLY is a trip to Africa - sorry if i sounded patronising - just that so often people refer to Arica when they really mean just to refer to a single country. Much like if I said I was going to Europe when I really was just going to England!

If you have a fairly predefine route - which WILL change in Africa I am sure - you could try a whole series of Caches along a route - but I think you are limited to 500 mile per route

So if you started getting all the African caches of countries you will be passing through downloaded via pocket queries you could filter along a route in GSAK and get ALL caches within a predefined distance from your route.

Why not think of organising and event or two along the way - especially in South Africa then you can get to meet the local caches and get firsthand details of where to go caching while in South Africa. There will be locals who will help you pick venues for the event caches.......

Looks fantastic - wish I were going along!

Trev