Area 51 Series - UFO Geocoin

Team kizb

The UFO Geocoin would be the first product of my Area 51 series.

2" round

Up to 15mm thick

Unique pattern on the top and bottom

Solid platting in maybe a couple different versions.

Die-cast in either Pewter or zinc alloy base metal

Trackable with unique icon

Shooting for a price between $10-$13 depending on the order size.

I'm really excited about this project and just completed the artwork to forward to the mint. The next step would be creating a clay mold since its a think shaped "coin"

Before I spend $$$ on expensive molds I'd like to know there are others out there that would buy this coin.

I believe this would would be a really unique fun project and hope others think the same so I can proceed.

Please post if your interested in a UFO shaped Geocoin and how many you think you would buy.

Thanks

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster
Title update

Please take this for what it's worth....

You could easily make that coin 4mm thick, 14mm is a waste in my opinion but off course it is your design.

Having done this for 4 years now, please don't gauge whether to do a coin or not based on postings you get here. I can tell you that most people who purchase coins do not post to the forums. Many people who post here do not purchase at all, they just enjoy what the forums have to offer be it friendship, talking about coins/trackables, or just watching themselves post :D What I mean to say is you could get 100 people who post; "Love it!!!" and only 10 of them will buy it.

The geocoin crowd has varied tastes and it's tough to please all of them as you found out with your last design. Today's designs are getting more complex and fancier in design, a "cool" concept doesn't guarantee you make your $$$ back.

Very few people can come to the forums here and post a "simple" drawing and expect to find alot of interest. I don't say that to be discouraging but as someone who has watched people try to come here and do it.

Buyers want/need more than that. Mint artwork would work better if you want a more appropriate idea if your design will enage some buyers. Even then, again, it's really hard to get an honest idea of who will buy based on posts here.

Let's say I have 1,000 people who are on my newsletter list, that doesn't mean I have 1,000 buyers, it only means that 1,000 just want to know what I'm up to for some odd reason :laughing:

The only way to know how many coins you may need to mint is based on your past orders and by engaging with the community and earning a reputation.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, you should really do some research on what's "hot" amongst buyers and why. Learn the techniques and tricks that make certain designs really resonate with buyers. While every coin design will sell some versions, you're competing with some "sweet" designs and established designers. It's a tough coin world out there and people are pickier these days and it's even a tougher time during the holidays to put coins out.

To be very honest your previous design has been done before just a bit different and this design is somewhat simliar to a few other designs out there. I compliment your tenacity to jump in and design but I'd like to see your designs a bit more original and maybe a bit more detailed. Ask yourself "what could I do to really make this "jump" out to people". It's very basic as is but you could get really get creative with your design and appeal to more people.

Like I said, I'm just putting in my 2 cents and trying to be honest.

Best wishes to you in your designing :laughing:

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey
Having done this for 4 years now, please don't gauge whether to do a coin or not based on postings you get here. I can tell you that most people who purchase coins do not post to the forums. Many people who post here do not purchase at all, they just enjoy what the forums have to offer be it friendship, talking about coins/trackables, or just watching themselves post What I mean to say is you could get 100 people who post; "Love it!!!" and only 10 of them will buy it.

You mean I didn't have to buy coins this whole time :D ?

ILYK
Having done this for 4 years now, please don't gauge whether to do a coin or not based on postings you get here. I can tell you that most people who purchase coins do not post to the forums. Many people who post here do not purchase at all, they just enjoy what the forums have to offer be it friendship, talking about coins/trackables, or just watching themselves post What I mean to say is you could get 100 people who post; "Love it!!!" and only 10 of them will buy it.

You mean I didn't have to buy coins this whole time :D ?

ILYK

Yes. You were under an alien directive to buy new, shiny geocoins :laughing: It's nice when they don't remember the body probe and crainial implant :laughing:

If the buyers aren't in the forums, than were are they? As someone that is just getting into Geocoin designs its a little frustrating to have all these ideas but then find three is no interest out there.

As far as my last design apparently price doesn't help sell a coin either.

The last two posters asked for some artwork, so that's why I posted what I have. There might not even be any mint artwork for this project since its going to be done on clay.

For minting numbers its hard to base numbers on past orders when I have no past orders, :D and the only way to earn a reputation TO sell some coins is to produce some coins. Hmm, sounds like the chicken and the egg deal.

I also don't have any Fancy software and tablets to be able to produce super detailed close to mint artwork as some do. So that's why some of my early artwork isn't the best. More of ideas then I work with a mint to create the mint artwork for me.

If other coins have been done similar to the ones I'm working on I wasn't aware of that. Do you know what they are called or were they can be seen. After all my looking I hadn't found anything like mentioned so that's why I went ahead and moved forward with the ideas.

Sounds like I'm in for an uphill battle in the coin world up against all the established designers with much bigger resources available to them. I'm not trying to get rich off my coins, just looking to join in on the fun of producing them and watching them come to life.

I do have one trick up my sleeve on an upcoming coin that I'm pretty sure hasn't been done yet. Maybe it will be enough to sell a couple coins and get my get my name out there.

Edited by Team kizb

If the buyers aren't in the forums, than were are they? As someone that is just getting into Geocoin designs its a little frustrating to have all these ideas but then find three is no interest out there.

The last two posters asked for some artwork, so that's why I posted what I have. There might not even be any mint artwork for this project since its going to be done on clay.

For minting numbers its hard to base numbers on past orders when I have no past orders, :D and the only way to earn a reputation TO sell some coins is to produce some coins. Hmm, sounds like the chicken and the egg deal.

I also don't have any Fancy software and tablets to be able to produce super detailed close to mint artwork as some do. So that's why some of my early artwork isn't the best. More of ideas then I work with a mint to create the mint artwork for me.

If other coins have been done similar to the ones I'm working on I wasn't aware of that. Do you know what they are called or were they can be seen. After all my looking I hadn't found anything like mentioned so that's why I went ahead and moved forward with the ideas.

Sounds like I'm in for an uphill battle in the coin world up against all the established designers with much bigger resources available to them. I'm not trying to get rich off my coins, just looking to join in on the fun of producing them and watching them come to life.

I do have one trick up my sleeve on an upcoming coin that I'm pretty sure hasn't been done yet. Maybe it will be enough to sell a couple coins and get my get my name out there.

Oh, I thought you meant you were going to use the dies for clay coins down the road.

You don't need fancy software or tablets, I don't use them, I do only pencil and paper stuff and I get pretty detailed :laughing:

You can earn a reputation by going through a larger vendor (for your metal coin designs). I did it that way and many others started out or are still doing it that way. YOu get Artist Editions in exchange for your design. It's very expensive to produce coins as you're finding out so unless you have $$$ to burn right out of the gate, just take baby steps. Do 1 design with a vendor, get your coins and trade/sell them. Save your profits and down the road you will have built your reputation and your "resources" :laughing: You have to be willing to bend a little to get to the end result. Like I said before, do your research on the designers, read the old threads, see how they did it. Study designs and learn, I did it and others did it. Sometimes this looks alot more glamorous and easy than it really is. There's alot that goes into all of this. If you're willing to put in the time and effort, you'll probably do well down the road but again, it take patience and perseverance.

Tiki is a great example when it comes to clay coins, you should look up some of his threads :anicute:

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

Oh, I thought you meant you were going to use the dies for clay coins down the road.

You don't need fancy software or tablets, I don't use them, I do only pencil and paper stuff and I get pretty detailed :laughing:

You can earn a reputation by going through a larger vendor (for your metal coin designs). I did it that way and many others started out or are still doing it that way. YOu get Artist Editions in exchange for your design. It's very expensive to produce coins as you're finding out so unless you have $$$ to burn right out of the gate, just take baby steps. Do 1 design with a vendor, get your coins and trade/sell them. Save your profits and down the road you will have built your reputation and your "resources" :laughing: You have to be willing to bend a little to get to the end result. Like I said before, do your research on the designers, read the old threads, see how they did it. Study designs and learn, I did it and others did it. Sometimes this looks alot more glamorous and easy than it really is. There's alot that goes into all of this. If you're willing to put in the time and effort, you'll probably do well down the road but again, it take patience and perseverance.

Tiki is a great example when it comes to clay coins, you should look up some of his threads :anicute:

tsun

No, the clay mold would be created first then used to create the die-cast mold. The coin would be metal.

Thanks for the input so far. Lots of different options to think about.

So... it will actually be more a UFO model than a flat coin! Hmm... I like it!

sorry, I do not understand all the things in the plans etc... will something be movable? I mean the spaceship's bridge (upper tower) or the bottom of the ship... ??? I believe it would be cool! :) and... if you put some glow on the top (bridge) or around like lights... it will be fantastic... what do you think? B)

Edited by GATOULIS

Here is the 3-D artwork for this project. Should give a better idea on what it would look like. Not sure on finishes yet except a chrome one. Any other suggestions?

ae1126a6-fe95-4aca-8ff1-09d1d15cfdce.jpg

I can't tell if you'd planned any enamels here, but as for finishes, this design looks ready made for a two-tone approach (without enamel), either by different finishes for the parts, or even different finishes on a single part.

Some examples of what I mean:

Base/Top: Gold

Middle Disk: Chrome

or:

Use a chrome for all of it, except the recessed areas on the front of the piece shown in the first row of the blueprint. In those recessed areas, use a gold or even possibly a copper to set it off.

The other option here (and this would require counting that I haven't done) would be to alternate metal finishes on the fins of the center disk, if that is possible for the mint.

The outer ring will be the part that spins around the rest.

My theory on how UFOs fly is the motion of the magnetically charged outer right spinning at a very high rate of speed around the oppositely charged body creates lift and directional propulsion.

Enamel can't be used since all three parts are 3-D.

Thanks for the great ideas so far. Two tone platting of some sort is something I'm talking to my vendor about. I also think the panels are a prime spot since some are raised and some recessed.

Edited by Team kizb

The outer ring will be the part that spins around the rest.

My theory on how UFOs fly is the motion of the magnetically charged outer right spinning at a very high rate of speed around the oppositely charged body creates lift and directional propulsion.

Enamel can't be used since all three parts are 3-D.

Thanks for the great ideas so far. Two tone platting of some sort is something I'm talking to my vendor about. I also think the panels are a prime spot since some are raised and some recessed.

Hmm.... In a second thought... if the "bridge" was spining... who would be on it as a captain?? :blink:

It wouldn't be a spaceship but a luna park! :mad:

Yes... it will be better the outer ring to spin! :mad:

Since no enamels (colors, right?) can be placed (too bad... the small glow parts would had been so cool), you can "play" with metal varietes... like Satin silver and polished silver (or antique), or with different metals as 2 tones... like polised gold and black nickel, satin silver and polished copper... (? I have no idea how this will look like).....

avroair is right - if you don't want to work with a vendor, you can take reservations after you have samples made. This is how I did my first personal coin and it worked really well for me. It was a lot of work and money up front to do it, but what a fun process!

From my perspective, I have had one coin design made but I have participated in a few group projects as well. I am working with an artist on another coin and have some designs in the idea stage only. So I am not an "established" designer. However, I am doing this for fun and every time I start a project, I do so knowing that the goal is not to make money. I am prepared to pay for the whole kitandkaboodle out of my pocket -- if people buy it, great! If not, that's ok too. So that's why I took reservations for my coin then added more on the top for trading and that's how many I ordered.

I have zero resources plus I can't draw to save my soul! So I research, I learn, I read and try different things...all with zero expectations.

I don't see it as competing with the big designers...that's not why I am doing this. It seems even when I don't know what I am doing, I am loving it!!!

Enjoy the process!

Well as you can see my the first drawings that I posted, I'm not mush of an artist either. I get my ideas in my head, get something together on paper or digital then start working with my vendor. There the ones that do an amazing job working with me to have mint artwork created based on my ideas.

This will be an expensive coin to produce, looks like 6 dies and 4 of them are 3D. this is really 3 coins in one and speaking from experience, that makes the cost of the coin very high unless the sales are very high. Not sure I would even make samples unless I had a good number of reservations to cover the cost.

Good Luck!

Yes, your correct in that it is 3 separate 3-D molds. Due to this the setup fee would be high. I'm currently exploring my options and if I will be able to find a way to bring the coin to mint.

This will be an expensive coin to produce, looks like 6 dies and 4 of them are 3D. this is really 3 coins in one and speaking from experience, that makes the cost of the coin very high unless the sales are very high. Not sure I would even make samples unless I had a good number of reservations to cover the cost.

Good Luck!

What would you consider reasonable?

I got my quote for the coin coin and its not looking good right now. The dies alone would cost almost $1000. I'm still looking at my options, and am considering dropping the spinning outer ring to drop cost and maybe going it to production still. More information to come next week.

That looks pretty cool...I like it! :wub:

If you can keep the price reasonable, I would be interested in one or two. :grin:

I can understand the complex nature of a geocoin like this. The SCGA (Space Coast Geocachers Association) had a 3D Space Shuttle coin produced last Spring. The bay opens to reveal the tracking number inside.

269f3d3d-9bdb-4712-b1ac-110925feb8a5.jpg

So, what would I consider reasonable for a coin like yours...under $18.

I can understand the complex nature of a geocoin like this. The SCGA (Space Coast Geocachers Association) had a 3D Space Shuttle coin produced last Spring. The bay opens to reveal the tracking number inside.

269f3d3d-9bdb-4712-b1ac-110925feb8a5.jpg

So, what would I consider reasonable for a coin like yours...under $18.

very cool.

Still in talks with my vendor to hopefully bring the UFO to life. Its been decided that using two different finishes on one die will increase the price to much.

What does look possible is having a different finish for the center ring and top and bottom.

For example:

Top and bottom - Silver

Ring - Gold

Top and bottom - Gold

Ring - Silver

What other combination's would people be interested in seeing?

Edited by Team kizb

Still in talks with my vendor to hopefully bring the UFO to life. Its been decided that using two different finishes on one die will increase the price to much.

What does look possible is having a different finish for the center ring and top and bottom.

For example:

Top and bottom - Silver

Ring - Gold

Top and bottom - Gold

Ring - Silver

What other combination's would people be interested in seeing?

Why do the different finishes between the top and bottom cost more?

TMA

Personally, I think this coin is stellar!! It goes well with my other large 3D coins (airplane, trojan helmet, firetruck with spinning wheels).

Ugh $1000 in molds...is there any way they could do it in 2? I'm not seeing why they need 4 unless something is spinning. I'd ask.

Personally, I think this coin is stellar!! It goes well with my other large 3D coins (airplane, trojan helmet, firetruck with spinning wheels).

Ugh $1000 in molds...is there any way they could do it in 2? I'm not seeing why they need 4 unless something is spinning. I'd ask.

It's 3 parts so that the center ring can spin. I'm also thinking about having the center a different finish from the other two parts.

It's 3 parts so that the center ring can spin. I'm also thinking about having the center a different finish from the other two parts.

This coin is genius. Don't let anything stop you from making it!!!

I really like the idea. It's a pity that it's going to be expensive to set up, but I love the whole spinning idea. I'd definitely buy one!

As for it not being geocoin-ish, I know that several vendors specialize in coins that can no longer properly be called coins, really (quivers with arrows, six-shooters in holsters, viking helmets, nocturnals, etc etc etc) and, well, I love that stuff. I don't care if it doesn't look like a /coin/. I guess I'm just into cool and interesting widgets, which your coin certainly would be.

I hope it gets made!

i think its awesome and congrats on pushing the geocoin industry even further,, ppl flipped out when the fear no cache was made,, then again on the moga pistol,, then again and again,, i think youll have no problem selling these once a few are out there ,i dont think youll have made enuff!. if i could.... id buy one,, but if i cant then it WILL be on my trading seeking list!!! gr8 job!

I would definitely buy one or two, even at $18. I really LOVE the "DIFFERENT" geocoins. Please DON'T take the spinning center out. That is so cool. So is the two-tone color. Personally, I wonder what black Nickel and Gold would look like together, both shiny.

Maybe reservations is the best way to go. You may still lose some after mint, but you may pick up some that see it in someone else's hand!

Here's an update to this project:

After a few setbacks with the artwork we're back on track and getting closer to finalizing.

I've decided that this project would work better as a 1.75" vs. 2" as far as cost goes.

I'm currently looking at minting in 4 versions.

51 RE Antique Silver

51 RE Chrome

30 LE Chrome w/Gold Ring

18 AE Black Nickel w/Gold Ring

RE's would be $15, LE's $16 and a complete set of both RE's and one LE $45

Of course the versions are dependent on how the samples turn out.

Would you be interested in this UFO Geocoin w/spinning ring?

Opinions Welcome

Here's an update to this project:

After a few setbacks with the artwork we're back on track and getting closer to finalizing.

I've decided that this project would work better as a 1.75" vs. 2" as far as cost goes.

I'm currently looking at minting in 4 versions.

51 RE Antique Silver

51 RE Chrome

30 LE Chrome w/Gold Ring

18 AE Black Nickel w/Gold Ring

RE's would be $15, LE's $16 and a complete set of both RE's and one LE $45

Of course the versions are dependent on how the samples turn out.

Would you be interested in this UFO Geocoin w/spinning ring?

Opinions Welcome

I want a whole set and also the AE!!!

Edited by papandratsch