Opinions on deleting Geocoin logs

Team kizb

I recently bought 30 Geocoins on ebay and found out when I received them that most were activated not the listed unactivated, but that's a whole other story. So I've taken out the ones I want to keep and plan to sell the rest either here or ebay. Four of them had two pages of discovery's from when two caches before me owned it and took it to events. In an effort to prep the said coins for sale, I stated deleting all the logs/history.

I received a nice e-mail from the said owner calling me some nice names and telling me hes been getting e-mails about me deleting the logs and that I should rethink what I'm doing.

I replied offering to stop deleting logs (which I have pending a response) in return for unactivated coins to replace my activated coins he had sold years ago or to buy the coins from me.

Now if I'm buying a coin on ebay I wouldn't want pages of logs/ attached to the coin.

What does everyone else think. Ok to delete Geocoin logs/history or not??

If I understand correctly, the people that are upset are people that have found these coin in the past correct?

Also I wonder why you are not the owner of the coin?

I know some people will go through and delete past logs in an attempt to make a coin "new again" however it is a travel item and if it has traveled and survived I think that is a good thing and don't really care if there is a log. Maybe you should ask the people you sell them to, or trade them with because they might feel the same way I do, esp if you let people know that they are activated coin. :laughing:

At the least though they are your coins and I guess you have the right as owner (as soon as you adopt them) to delete logs and they will just have to get over it. Sticks and stones and all. :D

I know you are upset that you bought all those coins and were mislead about their status, as I have read other post about it. I wonder if you can't return them to the ebay seller and get your $ back or file a complaint through ebay or paypal, if you used them about it. I have had a great deal of luck resolving issues to my satisfaction when I have involved them.

Best of luck to you in this matter.

I have deleted travel logs from coins that I have purchased that were already activated. However, I do not delete discovery logs. Doing so does not make the coin any newer, plus, it actually HAS been discovered by those folks, and a lot of them (myself included) really think highly of the icons they get for having seen them or moved them. I think it would be cool of you to let the discovery logs be, but in reality, it IS your coin, and your decision should be respected.

i thought the idea behind a coin traveling is to see where it has been and its "adventures." why even go to the bother of deleting logs? what does it matter if an activated coin has logs? to delete them doesn't make the coin more valuable and it seems to just piss people off.

i figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

rsg

My feeling is that the coins are yours, but how does deleting the logs make anything better? As I have stated many times before, I think that the history makes the coins more interesting and desirable. The coin is yours and no one is going to try to take it off of you. Why pretend that you were the first to own it?

I am sending a large number of coins on overseas missions with the hope that one or more will return to me someday. If I ever see any of them again, those will be some of my most valuable coins.

Gregson

personally, I think that deleting logs of any kind is rather rude

imagine that you decided to move away, and found someone in your current area who was willing to take care of your geocaches for you

so, you adopt the geocaches over to them, and they then proceed to delete all of the logs prior to the adoption date - rude

that said, the following points are worth taking into consideration

1. only the current owner (on GC.com) should be selling a trackable

anything else may well be an item owned by someone else, and taken from a geocache

most people would view this as theft

2. the buyer and seller should agree about what is going to happen after the sale is complete

most likely, there should be an adoption

but before that, decide what will happen with logs

if the buyer wants a "clean" item, they should have the current owner delete them prior to the adoption

that way, the person who shared it/them at events can explain why they are deleting logs

My feeling is that the coins are yours, but how does deleting the logs make anything better?

Gregson

For the coins he's going to trade or sell, sometimes the buyers want a "clean" geocoin history, with no previous logs.

Hmm, but the coins are activated. Will anyone believe that they are virgins?

When I say "clean", I mean "no logs", not "never activated". I've sold activated coins before and the buyers obviously didn't care that they were activated, but they didn't want any logs so they could start the coin like it was new.

My feeling is that the coins are yours, but how does deleting the logs make anything better?

Gregson

For the coins he's going to trade or sell, sometimes the buyers want a "clean" geocoin history, with no previous logs.

Hmm, but the coins are activated. Will anyone believe that they are virgins?

When I say "clean", I mean "no logs", not "never activated". I've sold activated coins before and the buyers obviously didn't care that they were activated, but they didn't want any logs so they could start the coin like it was new.

Yes that is what I was doing to said coins. Giving them a fresh start on life with no logs. That's what I'd expect if I bought an activated coin.

now that I have thought about it a little more . . .

the right thing to have done in this circumstance is probably to have demanded a refund from the seller as soon as it was discovered that the items sold were not as advertised

if the seller did not cooperate, reporting the situation to eBay would most likely get the buyer a refund

I would say that if one wants "clean" trackable items, they should buy ones that have not been activated

and if someone knowingly buys activated trackable items, they should probably leave the logs in place, as a courtesy to the people who made the logs

now that I have thought about it a little more . . .

the right thing to have done in this circumstance is probably to have demanded a refund from the seller as soon as it was discovered that the items sold were not as advertised

if the seller did not cooperate, reporting the situation to eBay would most likely get the buyer a refund

I would say that if one wants "clean" trackable items, they should buy ones that have not been activated

and if someone knowingly buys activated trackable items, they should probably leave the logs in place, as a courtesy to the people who made the logs

I've bought activated coins before and had them adopted over to me. I like these coins because they tend to be cheaper. The logs on all of the activated coins that I have bought have been the usual logs for collection coins and not logs for released coins. If I ever bought an activated coin that could not be adopted over and thus the seller was not the owner, I would be furious. I would contact, ebay and Groundspeak and try to have the person tarred and feathered.

Generally it is considered rude to delete logs on coins.

Says who? :D

It is not rude, it may be disappointing to those that collect icons, it may not make sense to some who don't know the background to the decision.....it doesn't make it unacceptable though to do what they want with the coins they bought thinking they were unactivated (this may be there reason for the purchase and we should also respect their decision either way).

I say keep the logs if you don't mind the history of the geocoin, otherwise do as you see fit. If i was buying an activated coin, i would not mind having it with history as i would expect it may have in this case.

mm

Edited by Map Monkey

Gregson

then maybe the new buyer should be the one to delete the logs. he wants to sell some of the ones he doesn't want - it is entirely possible the new buyer would like to keep the logs. he could leave it up to the new owner.

To my opinion it IS rude.

I have deleted travel logs from coins that I have purchased that were already activated. However, I do not delete discovery logs.

That sounds really bad for me. For you coins are collectable items. Than you should buy unactivated coins or coins that didn't travel. But coins travelling are taken from and to other caches. People try to fulfill missions, to help with races or something similar. Maybe they take their time to take pictures and write a nice log.

The coin is yours - that's true. But the logs? In this special case it might be easier for you to delete the logs but the problem is your seller. Not the people having moved the coin. Thats my opinion.

I recently bought 30 Geocoins on ebay and found out when I received them that most were activated not the listed unactivated, but that's a whole other story. So I've taken out the ones I want to keep and plan to sell the rest either here or ebay. Four of them had two pages of discovery's from when two caches before me owned it and took it to events. In an effort to prep the said coins for sale, I stated deleting all the logs/history.

I received a nice e-mail from the said owner calling me some nice names and telling me hes been getting e-mails about me deleting the logs and that I should rethink what I'm doing.

I replied offering to stop deleting logs (which I have pending a response) in return for unactivated coins to replace my activated coins he had sold years ago or to buy the coins from me.

Now if I'm buying a coin on ebay I wouldn't want pages of logs/ attached to the coin.

What does everyone else think. Ok to delete Geocoin logs/history or not??

Looks like you're not adverse to a little deceit as well.

My opinion:

If the geocoins were sold to you as unactivated and you then discovered they were activated and had histories they should have gone back to the seller for a refund.

I don't think logs should be deleted on any trackable items (assuming they're legitimate logs).

To me it's like buying a car: You can fork out the extra dosh and buy a brand new car or you buy a second-hand car for a cheaper price.

If you have a second-hand car and want to sell it on then don't try and roll-back the odometer and kid people that it's newer than it is.

MrsB

I like history and I love books. I think that deleting logs for a geocoin is akin to ripping pages out of a family album. I would not do it, not ever. Ever ever ever ever ever. Ever ever. Even if I were annoyed with the seller for being dishonest. Ever.

That's just how I feel, though. Your mileage may vary.

With regard to this particular situation. I'm with the Blorenges: if the seller listed them as unactivated, and you discovered that they were activated, I would recommend asking for a refund. I also think that BelKen has a good point. If you're going to sell them, why not sell them as activated and with their history intact? Use the coins' histories as selling points (naturally, this is easier if the coins have good logs, rather than just cut & paste "discovered at xity-y event").

Anyway, that's my take. Take it or leave it. ; )

I move a coin in a timely manner, enjoy the look and feel of the thing, maybe upload a photo, add another icon to my list and then blammo it's gone. "Too bad it's my new coin."

I'd put you on a list to never assist one of your travelers again, but you'll just adopt another coin I assisted and then I'll lose that find too. :anitongue:

Edited by BlueDeuce

I move a coin in a timely manner, enjoy the look and feel of the thing, maybe upload a photo, add another icon to my list and then blammo it's gone. "Too bad it's my new coin."

I'd put you on a list to never assist one of your travelers again, but you'll just adopt another coin I assisted and then I'll lose that find too. :anitongue:

The coins in question had only been discovered. Zero miles traveled.

The coins in question had only been discovered. Zero miles traveled.

Usually, when I adopt coins, I don't delete the previous logs...but...there are different circumstances here. You were taken advantage of in the sale.

Discoveries are a bit of a "false" history to me. :anitongue: I see so many lists of geocoins to discover at events. The real logs are the moved logs.

I have no problem with my logs being deleted from a coin. It has happened a couple of times when owners changed on coins I had discovered.

Gregson

Then they should do the deleting for themselves, to me it looks like the current owner is trying to make the coin "look" clean. I think it's pretty rude, but it's your call.

Discoveries are a bit of a "false" history to me. ;) I see so many lists of geocoins to discover at events. The real logs are the moved logs.

When I go caching with a friend and we find coins, which he moves, I do discover them, because I like the icons. I also try to write a nice log for it. I don't see what's false about that? (I discover coins, not take over lists to discover. I must have seen the coin)

I would not cry about it, when some new owner would delete a log so I would lose a icon, but I don't like it either. I buy activated coins too, but never delete logs. I even like to see them, who saw the coin, where has it been. A piece of history wich makes it more attractive to me.