Nano's (?)

ayrbrain

I am reading up as much as my little brain will take in on geocaching, before my GPS arrives.

Is a nano a magnectic cach? I helped a friend with one last week, well in fact 2 and they were magnectic.

She let me place the cach back once it she had logged in. I felt quite spy like :D making sure no one was looking etc.

I am reading up as much as my little brain will take in on geocaching, before my GPS arrives.
Often, nanos are tiny metal tubes a bit larger than a pencil eraser, with a magnet to stick them on a metal object. The log sheet is rolled up inside, with enough room for your initials. They might also be the somewhat larger "bison tubes", and hung by a string or attached by velcro. Edited by kunarion

Generally, "nano" refers to a very small container. Essentially, it's an unofficial cache size that is smaller than "micro". (Officially, the definition of a micro is "35 mm film canister or smaller" so it covers nanos.)

As the others have said, they're often blinkers or smaller Bison tubes, but I've seen an assortment of other containers as well (including some unique hand-crafted containers).

Generally, "nano" refers to a very small container. Essentially, it's an unofficial cache size that is smaller than "micro". (Officially, the definition of a micro is "35 mm film canister or smaller" so it covers nanos.)

As the others have said, they're often blinkers or smaller Bison tubes, but I've seen an assortment of other containers as well (including some unique hand-crafted containers).

Many thanks everyone. :laughing:

Yes they were little film canisters covered in black tape which in turn covered the magnet. :laughing:

I am slowly learning :D

Yes they were little film canisters covered in black tape which in turn covered the magnet. :laughing:

I don't think many people would consider a film canister to be a nano.

I don't think many people would consider a film canister to be a nano.

I agree,the film canister is more of a micro.rather then a nano.

Groundspeak needs to add a "nano" catagory

I am completely new to all of this and just ordered 5 nanos to be hidden. I can't wait. I am going to love watching what happens with them!!!!! I love those nanos. They are soooo small and can be tucked away easily into anything metal!

I'm not a fan. My fat fingers have a terrible time re-rolling and replacing those tiny little logs.

I am completely new to all of this and just ordered 5 nanos to be hidden. I can't wait. I am going to love watching what happens with them!!!!! I love those nanos. They are soooo small and can be tucked away easily into anything metal!
Keep in mind that the log of a nano-cache will fill up quickly. I have heard from someone who has placed a lot of blinkers that it's a lot of work replacing the full logs, and that he's decided to stop hiding them for that reason. (When he started hiding them, they were unique and had to be hand-crafted from blinking LED jewelry; now they're common and can be purchased from any geocaching supply store.)
Keep in mind that the log of a nano-cache will fill up quickly. I have heard from someone who has placed a lot of blinkers that it's a lot of work replacing the full logs, and that he's decided to stop hiding them for that reason. (When he started hiding them, they were unique and had to be hand-crafted from blinking LED jewelry; now they're common and can be purchased from any geocaching supply store.)

Okay, well I also ordered 5 large transparent tubes with what look like 2 liter soda bottletops from EBay. They kinda look like the tubes used with Bunsen burners! :anitongue: I found one and loved the concept of having something so sturdy and yet totally transparent for small contents and enough space for a decent logbook. :anitongue:

I'm not a fan. My fat fingers have a terrible time re-rolling and replacing those tiny little logs.

Ah-ha. That didn't even occur to me. Point well taken. They are cute, though. But I may not order any more of them out of respect for those having a tough time with them, and because you can only really initial the logbook. It's so tiny that it won't allow for much else and probably fills up fast. BTW, what is the proper protocol for a full logbook? Notifying the owner on geocaching.com, placing a new logbook somewhere around it, or something else?

Okay, well I also ordered 5 large transparent tubes with what look like 2 liter soda bottletops from EBay. They kinda look like the tubes used with Bunsen burners! :lol: I found one and loved the concept of having something so sturdy and yet totally transparent for small contents and enough space for a decent logbook. :lol:

Sounds like a preform. They're good.