Do travel bugs have to be attached to something?

cruiser

Just getting ready to start some bugs of my own - and I've had two in my possesion at different times. When you readthis post by Jeremy Irish announcing the creation of travel bugs - it seems that numerous creative uses are encouraged. I'm waiting for someone (maybe it's been done) to attach one to their dog and keep track of their travels. icon_biggrin.gif

Have fun - they're a blast. There have been lots of people in previous forum strings suggesting that bug owners should attach specific goals and directions for newbies to their bugs. I'm following this advice and attaching a laminated intstruction card to my bugs - so people know what to do with them - even before they get home and log on.

36021_400.JPG Terra?Indaga, "Earth Searcher"

Just getting ready to start some bugs of my own - and I've had two in my possesion at different times. When you readthis post by Jeremy Irish announcing the creation of travel bugs - it seems that numerous creative uses are encouraged. I'm waiting for someone (maybe it's been done) to attach one to their dog and keep track of their travels. icon_biggrin.gif

Have fun - they're a blast. There have been lots of people in previous forum strings suggesting that bug owners should attach specific goals and directions for newbies to their bugs. I'm following this advice and attaching a laminated intstruction card to my bugs - so people know what to do with them - even before they get home and log on.

36021_400.JPG Terra?Indaga, "Earth Searcher"

no, a TB can be just the tag, but many ppl attache them to another item and creat a story for it and example of this would be Geoffrey, the Ultimate Geocacher, by markwell

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=232

theres pictures, a mission, sound, and a storyline for the lil' guy.

some ppl dont go quite that far just attache it to something and make its mission to travel, and example:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=1634

the winter cycle tour- V Max TB has a less defined mission, no sound, fewer pics, and theres really not a storyline, hes just out spreading the word...

the Come see NYC- Lucien has no mission, no pic, and when it started out it was just a tag and the chain thingy. http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=87

i think the better the story the more fun the bug is, but this doesnt mean the bug will travel farther, faster, or even be found more....

good luck

We created the "Geo Joe Platoon" travel bugs in the hopes that after we spread them out over America, they would return to the "Command Post Cache" we hid for them.

Basically, toy soldiers with a mission to get back here to us.

Go check out our web page for details, and links to the Travel bugs! www.geocities.com/team_wolverine

A travel bug without a theme seems to be a waste of a travel bug. (not to mention a couple $$) icon_rolleyes.gif

We created the "Geo Joe Platoon" travel bugs in the hopes that after we spread them out over America, they would return to the "Command Post Cache" we hid for them.

Basically, toy soldiers with a mission to get back here to us.

Go check out our web page for details, and links to the Travel bugs! www.geocities.com/team_wolverine

A travel bug without a theme seems to be a waste of a travel bug. (not to mention a couple $$) icon_rolleyes.gif