September statistics

holograph

The September statistics are available on the statistics page. The maps and counts by county have been updated also.

There were 605 datasheets updated with GEOCAC recovery logs. The most recent recovery added to the datasheets was dated June 24, so there is still a backlog of updates remaining at the NGS.

It looks like TheBeanTeam bagged the five westernmost stations in the 48 contiguous states in June. Congratulations!

delta_map_t.gif geocac_map_t.gif

Edited by holograph

How do you find the updated ones? (I see the ones that I am responsible for...)

Is there a way to download just the updated ones?

Yes and no. Is there an easy way? Not that I know of. A number of years ago, the NGS FTP site used to have a download of all datasheets updated in the past month, but that hasn't been supported for quite a while. I haven't looked lately to see if a simple download is available again. The FTP site does have downloads of updated states, but I don't think they create all the state files at the same time, and the downloads seem to have a lag -- they are not immediately available at the beginning of each month.

I wrote a 'bot that simply uses the datasheet retrieval by date page and walks through all the states looking for all datasheets updated in the last month. There are complications related to the limits on the number of datasheets that can be retrieved in one request, and of course, 'bots should try to avoid overloading the server. The process sometimes takes a few hours, which is why I only do it once a month.

Edited by holograph

Would you let me get them from you, since you've already done the hard part?

This once, yes. You can obtain a 3 Mb ZIP file of the datasheets at http://www.holoscenes.com/dsarchive/Sep10.zip.

The reason I say "just this once" is this: from past experience, providing stuff for free encourages people to expect it, and it soon becomes a burden on me. I don't want to feel obligated to add extra work to my monthly process, and I don't like to hear complaints if I forget to do something or don't have time to do it as quickly or as often as people would like.

Also, the more data I provide, the less freedom I have to modify the process or the format. So yes, you can have the datasheets I just obtained this month, but in general for the future, probably not.

Would you let me get them from you, since you've already done the hard part?

This once, yes. You can obtain a 3 Mb ZIP file of the datasheets at http://www.holoscenes.com/dsarchive/Sep10.zip.

The reason I say "just this once" is this: from past experience, providing stuff for free encourages people to expect it, and it soon becomes a burden on me. I don't want to feel obligated to add extra work to my monthly process, and I don't like to hear complaints if I forget to do something or don't have time to do it as quickly or as often as people would like.

Also, the more data I provide, the less freedom I have to modify the process or the format. So yes, you can have the datasheets I just obtained this month, but in general for the future, probably not.

Ah, ok. Makes sense. Thank you.

So there's no easy way to do it. Darn.

It looks like TheBeanTeam bagged the five westernmost stations in the 48 contiguous states in June. Congratulations!

Thanks for the nod. These were sought out only because I was made aware of them by your site and efforts here. I will echo the others and say again how much your site and work is appreciated.

I was a bit bummed that other marks which are a bit further west were off limits around Cape Blanco. I didn't give it much attention after reading the limitations so just enjoyed the sites and view instead of benchmarking (it was a 15th anniversary trip after all). There was a CORS Station that I found further west and the lighthouse is an Intersection Station but neither are really reportable.

I thought the others were all beyond the perimeter of accessibility. I was wrong. A geocacher stumbled over one that is accessible and logged a geocaching find (with a photo) on one right at the edge of the no trespass area. :lol: I probably walked within a few feet of it.

So its there for anyone who wants to locate and report to the NGS. The next Western Most Point ois available. After that there are a few others but you would have to trespass (not advisable) or obtain permission to locate and log them. :lol:

holo,

the 6 unidentified finds with initials JA....they didn't happen to be in Kentucky, Indiana, or the greater washington, DC area? I was in those areas in May and June, and did get a few BM's on those trips.

If you can PM me with the PID numbers, I can see if they are mine or not.

holo,

the 6 unidentified finds with initials JA....they didn't happen to be in Kentucky, Indiana, or the greater washington, DC area? I was in those areas in May and June, and did get a few BM's on those trips.

Ah, you know, part of my process generates a list of unidentified reports, but in order to prevent seeing the same long list month after month, I have a filter that only lists the recent ones. I occurs to me that because of the large backlog, all the unidentified reports got filtered out because they were all more than 3 months old. I remember thinking "huh, funny there was nothing new in that list", but didn't give it any more thought.

For safety's sake, I never automatically identify reports filed under two-letter initials unless there have been other reports under the same initials in the same county.

Usually I can manually identify the majority of the new ones, but I only do that if I see them! I'll rerun that part of the process so that I see all the reports from May forward.

edit: The statistics have now been updated.

Edited by holograph

holo,

Ah, you know, part of my process generates a list of unidentified reports, but in order to prevent seeing the same long list month after month, I have a filter that only lists the recent ones. I occurs to me that because of the large backlog, all the unidentified reports got filtered out because they were all more than 3 months old. I remember thinking "huh, funny there was nothing new in that list", but didn't give it any more thought.

For safety's sake, I never automatically identify reports filed under two-letter initials unless there have been other reports under the same initials in the same county.

Usually I can manually identify the majority of the new ones, but I only do that if I see them! I'll rerun that part of the process so that I see all the reports from May forward.

edit: The statistics have now been updated.

I'd like to identify myself for the statistics, I am AG, sometimes I use my middle initial, which would be APG.

Please tell me how all this works.

I'd like to identify myself for the statistics, I am AG, sometimes I use my middle initial, which would be APG.

Please tell me how all this works.

Ok, you're in. Usually, it works without any effort on your part. I'm not quite sure why you weren't included already, because I try to identify the initials on GEOCAC recovery reports without being asked. Usually I see a new unidentified recovery report, and look at the corresponding log on Geocaching.com. If I can uniquely identify someone who logged on the same date as the recovery report, I assume it is the same person and I cross-reference the initials to the geocacher.

I don't automatically include geocachers in the statistics list unless they also report to the NGS, because (a) I have no way of knowing who they are, and (B) the list would be too long, and it would include many people who probably don't care about the statistics anyway.