What Should I be using?

I am brand new to the world of Geocaching and have a handheld Magellan Xplorist 200. From what I am seeing, my best bet would be to upgrade to a GPS with a computer interface to make it easier to plan caching road trips. Money is limited, so I was hoping someone out there could give me some names of GPS units that qualify to download and have done a good job for them. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Rainy

Rainy-

I was in a similar boat that you are in, but I started out with an app on my phone. This allowed me to see if I enjoyed it enough to actually go and spend the money and buy a real GPS. Well, needless to say, I'm hooked. I did about a months research, because I'm a weirdo who reads every review out here about GPSR, at some of the following links. I finally broke-down and purchased a Garmin Oregon 450 that was half-off during a Memorial Day sale.

Guide to Buying a GPS Device

http://geocaching.com/about/buying.aspx

Helpful sites that gives reviews and tutorials

http://www.gpsinformation.net/

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

I hope this helps and I hope to hear from you on what you decided on getting and welcome to caching!!

ESeurat

I'm old school, poor & not very smart so this is how I get by.... :wub:

I pull up all caches in whatever area I'm gonna be in & "copy/paste" the coords & info I need to "Notepad".

After printing it out I manually (gasp) enter all coords in my Explorist, Meridian or 330. Not as bad as you'd think.

I'd like to have all info in one unit but no more than I've ever cached this works great. I kinda like having paper info with me anyways.

I've got a new Triton 500 that's supposed to do all this but I've never figured out how the freakin' thing works. :grin:

I am brand new to the world of Geocaching and have a handheld Magellan Xplorist 200. From what I am seeing, my best bet would be to upgrade to a GPS with a computer interface to make it easier to plan caching road trips. Money is limited, so I was hoping someone out there could give me some names of GPS units that qualify to download and have done a good job for them. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Rainy

Hi folks;

I'd say from my experience that for most recreational caching any of the MAP 60 series units would be good. There seem to be several available here and the pricing is good. Get reviews of units from GPSreview.net it's probably the best review site.

Enjoy!

-Indiangrass

:anitongue:

Thanks!

Rainy

Hey Rainy,

I too am brand new to Geocaching. I just bought a Maggelan Explorist GC at Gander Mountain for $150. To me, it seems that the Explorist GC makes getting started practically idiot proof. I have yet to try it out for a real cache...I'm near Pittsburgh, PA and we're having a bit of a cold spell. GOOD LUCK and ENJOY THE WORLD OF GEOCACHING...I KNOW I WILL.

Goldenbabies