Free Premium Membership; (For Garmin Owners)

BCNorwich

Thanks for the link.

Since I purchased and installed my Garmin a few days ago, I followed only the instructions to "verify the installation", which sent me to the Garmin page, where I received this message "Communicator successfully installed! You have the current version".

However, the "Activate your 30-day trial" button stayed greyed out. <_<

Chantal living in Myrtle Beach

Edited by jon.hemlock.Chantal

Thanks for the link.

Since I purchased and installed my Garmin a few days ago, I followed only the instructions to "verify the installation", which sent me to the Garmin page, where I received this message "Communicator successfully installed! You have the current version".

Which browser are you using? For some reason it works better with Firefox than IE.

Thanks for the link.

Which browser are you using? For some reason it works better with Firefox than IE.

I am using IE; my husband tried on his Apple too using Safari. None of them worked.

Thanks for the link.

I am using IE; my husband tried on his Apple too using Safari. None of them worked.

I may be asking the obvious, but are you logged into Geocaching.com when you try to get the 30 day freebie? This caught me out, as I was using my work pc, which was set NOT to log me on automatically, unlike my home pc.

As soon as I logged in, connected my 2 Garmin gpsr's, all was good to go.

I think the plugin is useable only by the browser that installed it, so if you have FF and IE, you'll need to install it on both!

Thanks for the link.

I may be asking the obvious, but are you logged into Geocaching.com when you try to get the 30 day freebie? This caught me out, as I was using my work pc, which was set NOT to log me on automatically, unlike my home pc.

I think the plugin is useable only by the browser that installed it, so if you have FF and IE, you'll need to install it on both!

Thanks for trying to help. :smile:

Yes I was logged in when I went through the process with my own GPS. Then I logged out to verify and the membership had not been extended.

Then my husband did the same on his Apple, with both our GPS'. He logged off too, and no change.

We did it so many times, we are getting dizzy. :sad:

I e-mailed support about it, we will see what happens.

Edited by jon.hemlock.Chantal

Thanks for the link.

Thanks for trying to help. :smile:

Yes I was logged in when I went through the process with my own GPS. Then I logged out to verify and the membership had not been extended.

Then my husband did the same on his Apple, with both our GPS'. He logged off too, and no change.

We did it so many times, we are getting dizzy. :sad:

I e-mailed support about it, we will see what happens.

If you install Firefox then you will be able to register for the free 30 days per Garmin GPS device, I couldn't get IE or Opera to work on either 2000,XP,or Win7, so I put a copy of FF on the 2000 machine and Roberts your Father's Brother as they say! All 3 of my Garmin devices were excepted. You can always take FF off once you have got you extra days. I know that it should work with IE or Safari but at the end of the day life's to short for that!

Regards

IT WORKS!! :D :D :D :D :D

Just registered my 18 month old Colorado 300 and shiny new 62ST.. Got an additional 2 months on my membership... :D :D :D

Just for giggles, I tried to register my 3 year old 60Csx and my 2 1/2 year old Nuvi 250W..

I now have an extra 4 months in total! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

IT WORKS!! :D :D :D :D :D

Just registered my 18 month old Colorado 300 and shiny new 62ST.. Got an additional 2 months on my membership... :D :D :D

Just for giggles, I tried to register my 3 year old 60Csx and my 2 1/2 year old Nuvi 250W..

I now have an extra 4 months in total!

And as a bonus, I get a free full European map update for the Nuvi too! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If you install Firefox then you will be able to register for the free 30 days per Garmin GPS device, I couldn't get IE or Opera to work on either 2000,XP,or Win7, so I put a copy of FF on the 2000 machine and Roberts your Father's Brother as they say! All 3 of my Garmin devices were excepted. You can always take FF off once you have got you extra days. I know that it should work with IE or Safari but at the end of the day life's to short for that!

Regards

I just realized ... you guys are not in United States.

Maybe it works only in your country.

Hello Everyone,

Sorry about the corrupted link in the first post. It was working OK but it seems the latest changes to the forum have messed it up. I can't find a way to edit the post so please use the links others have posted above or copy and paste text from initial post.

Regards

Bernard

D'you know what? It's always the way!! :lol:

Last night I spent ages looking for this thread, and eventually found it, although it DID take a while!! :ph34r:

Managed to register my new Oregon 450, and a friend's old Legend. He managed to get a month's free premium membership, and I got mine extended by another month.... well worth doing if you're a newbie and wondering whether Pocket Queries etc would be useful for you.

Well worth a bump of the thread with the number of newbies about at the moment!

I tried this, IE7 sort of worked, said my membership had been upgraded and expired 01/01/0001. My main profile page still says basic member and of course cannot do gpx files:(

Log out and back into your account and you should see the change.

I have a few times, but no change :( I wonder if it could be because it would not be a 30 day extension but a full upgrade as I have not been here or paid in quite a while?

I tried this, IE7 sort of worked, said my membership had been upgraded and expired 01/01/0001. My main profile page still says basic member and of course cannot do gpx files:(

Log out and back into your account and you should see the change.

I have a few times, but no change :( I wonder if it could be because it would not be a 30 day extension but a full upgrade as I have not been here or paid in quite a while?

I know its an old thread, but this same thing happened to me, was a premium a few years ago...

Code worked and said expiration was in xx/xx/0001, however it still says basic on everything

edit: My group says premium on the forum, does that revert once your premium account lapses? or are the sites just out of sync

edit2: Just read on that page: "Only Groundspeak Basic Members who have not previously been a Premium Member are eligible to redeem a Free Premium Membership Trial." When I try to use another account, it says the code has already been used.

Edited by mrwulff

edit2: Just read on that page: "Only Groundspeak Basic Members who have not previously been a Premium Member are eligible to redeem a Free Premium Membership Trial." When I try to use another account, it says the code has already been used.

Where's the incentive to upgrade to a new Garmin? :blink:

(I think GS and Garmin may have thrown a few dolly's out of the pram... :rolleyes: )

I have managed to get 30 days of Free Premium membership from my new GPSMAP recently. It simply recognised the unit and gave me the 30 days. I was never a premuim member before that.

I have now decided to sign up for 12 months and as I have 3 other Garmin GPSrs I thought I would use those to extend the membership. Two of them worked fine but the third came back with an end date of 01/01.0001 and I noticed that in my account details that the end date had not been extended by 30 days. When I tried to go through the process again it told me that the unit had already been used :sad:? So I wrote to GS and they very kindly extended the end date manually. :)