JSF

dukeofurl01

About a week ago, a friend and I were out for a friendly caching trip through the forest, and came upon the item pictured, in an obscure road in the forest. I don't know it's meaning, but obviously JSF that is stamped on it means Jackson State Forest which we were in. It's obviously a survey marker of some kind, and it looks old. It's location as best my HH2 could get in the forest is: N39 20.490 W123 31.904

Not really much to say about it I guess, just neat to look at.

DSCN2424.jpg

Edited by DukeOfURL01

Did you read anything on the bronze disk in the top of the post? That would tell us a lot. You said "JSF stamped on it", but did you mean that was stamped on the disk, or are you referring to the cast letters on the post?

The topo maps show some kind of symbol at about this location, lying near the top of a small hill, on a (red) section line, along a 4wd road, and along a dash-dot boundary line of some kind.

map link (zoom to maximum without moving)

Would you believe that I didn't notice the disc on top until you just pointed it out? Well, it's not the last time I'll be there I guess. :-)

Wouldnt it be nice if mytopo would drop a pin on the spot?

On the mytopo, are you talking about what looks like a tiny square with a dot in it?

You can hover the mouse over a point and read coordinates below the map. Hard to tell exactly what you are pointing at but close enough to pick this marker.

My guide to topo map symbols says a dash-dot line is "Reservation, national or state". A square with dot is "Boundary monument: other than land grant".

So you found a boundary marker for the State Forest. The disk is probably stamped with some additional identification.

Now can someone tell me what 1181T written nearby means?

A spot elevation is a label on a topographic map that measures the vertical position of a point at less than third order accuracy. There is usually at least one spot elevation shown per square mile. You may see them at prominent tops, saddles, or depressions, intersection of trails and road, sharp turns in linear features, boundary marks, PLSS corners etc. The T indicates that this spot elevation was determined using photogrammetric methods...meaning it was not determined in the field but from aerial photography.