New World Record - 1157 geocache finds in 24 hours

I know it's the desert and there probably aren't any roses around, but it seems like one should stop and smell the cactus and enjoy the moment of each find instead of racing off to the next.

It sounds exhausting to me, but I see how different people thrive on different goals, I guess.

and i was giving crap and denied publishing of 4 geocaches (2 ammo can, 1 small, and 1 micro ) all 3 tenths of a mile or greater of one another on a beautiful scenic hiking trail ( 2 miles long) because NYADMIN said i was power caching.....and yet you have other ADMINS approving this many caches next to one another.

LOL!

I can't wait to see the next new record.

I envision it now.

NEW WORLD RECORD - 3000 geocache finds in 24 hours

LOL!

Did you appeal the decision to TPTB?

Log Date: 10/7/2010

Our journey to the ET Highway began the 4th of October. Our plan was to travel from our home in California’s delta area via highway 120 over Tioga Pass. It seems Mother Nature had other plans as she gave the Sierras a beautiful white mantel of snow, which also closed the pass we intended to use. Our alternative choice was also closed, which meant we were going to have to back track and work our way South in order to get the Highway 395. 34 hour and 15 minutes later and a stay over in the town of Ridgecrest we celebrated our crossing of the state line. An unbelievable journey, but we did see country we have never seen and the beauty it had to offer. The surrounding mountains of the Bishop area were just as beautiful as my cousin, who had lived there, described.

We spent our second night in Tonopah, interesting little town, and cached that area and Goldfield the next day. I guess we may have been lucky to have had our long detour as we were just behind all the bad weather the area had had the day before. We traveled to Alamo to prepare for the trek back up the highway.

Our journey up the ET highway started on the 7th of October, cool weather , scattered showers and great fun finding all the caches we could. Visited the Alien Inn and its interesting people and enjoyed a decent Alien burger.

Our second day on the highway, was a bit more orderly as we had learned from the previous day what to expect. Again we enjoyed the scenery. We saw antelope, deer, lizards, toads, rabbits, mustangs and lots of range cattle….ooh…and a tarantula…ewe. Oh yes, and ducks, ducks in the desert..imagine that. NO Aliens though and we were watching. The final day we had an awesome experience as two beautiful fighter jets flew very low over the highway just in front of us. They came through a cut in the hills and flew over us and disappeared through another cut in the hills. A sight we won’t soon forget.

Our third day we finished up the with 221 on ET and one extra.

We met cachers from Arizona, Oklahoma and a family that was caching just ahead of us from Montana. The were kind enough to wait at that very special LAST ONE….we all celebrated our success and traded stories of the experience. Due to the previous days of rain, we were unable to do the alien head..but who knows maybe another day.

We thank those who went to all the effort to put out the great caching run. A once in a lifetime experience for geo-cachers.

We made this trip with friends, which as made the experience even more enjoyable. We also now know we can stand each others company in close quarters for more than a day and still come home friends.

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://coord.info/GL4J0ZCH

Visit Traditional Cache

E.T. 001

http://coord.info/GC2551A

Profile for PattyPre:

http://coord.info/PR346X6

Remove from watchlist:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/watchlist.asp...&ACTION=REM

On Sept 27th, 2010 we took a trip out to the Alien Highway in Nevada.

Our goal was to find all 1021 ET geocaches in 24 hours (they are numbered E.T. #001 thru E.T. #1021).

How many of these were really DNFs that you just counted anyway?

I have come across posted logs of Nevada caches on completely missing caches. The cacher just copied/pasted "TFTC" on the page and never even remembered that it should have been a DNF.

My brothe Millerdude lives in Vegas and he has done like 223 in one day or half a day maybe something like that in a few hours on the E.T. Hway. He plans on getting me out there this summer when I go visit him to try to break his record and definatly bust mine of 105 caches in 7.75 hrs in Colorado. I asked him if he planned on killing me on such a power run cause I loose fun after 40.

Congrats to all the record busters and happy caching

We were out there today and ran into 4 other groups between 01 and 300. We only did 300

because my knee was acting up, it started at about 150 by 250 I was about ready to cut it off, by

the time we hit 300 on the west side of coyote pass I just couldn't take it any more.

Anyway we started about 7:00 am and finished a little after 3:00 pm,

From all the logs there are a lot of cachers doing this run :lol:

So, you never even left the car, right?

Incorrect - we didn't always spot the cache from the car, and in those cases we both jumped out and searched...some of them took longer than others, and it wasn't the exact same container or hide throughout -- there were probably 5-6 different variants throughout the 130 or so of them. I'd say we spotted it from the car about 1/3 of the time, in which case I would pull the car right up to it. The rest of them we had to search for. A few of them were tricky and took us 5-10 minutes to locate.

But I do get what you're insinuating! :P I assure you, we had a blast and it was one of the highlights of our trip down there.

Actually it's more interesting what you're insinuating.

Someone else said the math was something like, you had to do each in 1 min 36 seconds, yet you are saying you took 5-10 minutes to locate some, you took time to fill the gas tank, even if just from jugs.

I suppose one person could pee while one slapped the sticker on, but still the math is tough.

Acceleration and deceleration, exactly how fast can a tenth of a mile be driven anyway?

Well I don't really care anyway.

If you had fun doing it, good for you.

If you are having fun telling us all you did it, then glad you are having fun.

That's what this game is about, having fun, so what the heck!

The caches that were right at the roadside were easy to spot. On most of those, we kept our time down to less than 45 seconds....unless we dropped the logsheet, or the cover.

One thing I am seeing.... missing caches. We found and logged all the caches. They were there.

As I follow the logs....I see that cachers are replacing missing caches. Where did they go?

My friend says that cows like to chew on things that have the human scent on them. That would explain things. There were lots of cows wandering around at the roadside..... even one upside down one :P

I'm surprised at how many don't believe that pace is possible. I did the ET Highway SOLO and got 55 the 1st hour and more than 60 during a couple hours, til I got tired and slowed down. I think later in the evening I was taking short naps between caches. Still found 672 in just 16hrs of caching, plus 2 lizard rescues and stopping for several pictures and a couple benchmarks. You think it was challenging with a team, try it by yourself. It was at least 108 deg. for a high temp that day. Trying to stay hydrated and nourished cost quite a bit of time too but the caches were so quick it was crazy.

I'm surprised at how many don't believe that pace is possible. I did the ET Highway SOLO and got 55 the 1st hour and more than 60 during a couple hours, til I got tired and slowed down. I think later in the evening I was taking short naps between caches.

If you were still driving at the time that might explain the upside down cow.

I'm surprised that the more plausible explanation for the missing caches wasn't offered. Cache eating cows? The more obvious explanation is that they were abducted.

Congrats on making yet another formerly fun challenge irrelevant and meaningless. Not sure who gets the bigger bronx cheer - those who chase these things or those who place them.

I'll take the 234 legit, unique, diverse, HIDDEN caches we found over 1000+ of whatever these were every day of the week.

Ugh.

Congrats on making yet another formerly fun challenge irrelevant and meaningless. Not sure who gets the bigger bronx cheer - those who chase these things or those who place them.

I'll take the 234 legit, unique, diverse, HIDDEN caches we found over 1000+ of whatever these were every day of the week.

Ugh.

And the good news is that you have that choice! Isn't life good?

Congrats on the record, ventura_kids! Sounds like an incredible day. Keep on cachin'!

Ugh.

And the good news is that you have that choice!

Not if you want to go geocaching along the road where the E.T. trail is located. Since they're all about the minimum distance apparent, there is an area 100 miles long or so, .2 of a mile wide that is entirely saturated.

Not if you want to go geocaching along the road where the E.T. trail is located. Since they're all about the minimum distance apparent, there is an area 100 miles long or so, .2 of a mile wide that is entirely saturated.

Which differs only slightly from the area I live in, except the swath here is much wider. :P

OK.... then give me 15 seconds to drive there. We were in a V8 Hemi Jeep. . . and we ran out of gas twice.

Actually... I think we hit 40 mph each time before stomping on the brakes. Near the end of the run, when we were low on gas, I tried to stay under 25mph on acceleration.

Poor Jeep. I hope you changed its oil when you were done. And BTW, I understand why you did it (even though I probably wouldn't), so congratulations on the effort and your success.

Ugh.

If you desire, you could skip the ET caches and find the twenty or so regular sized caches that have been out there for years. The fact of the matter is, no one has been in a real rush to place caches along this very lonely highway. While it's true that currently, no one could place a cache, I don't think that the local cachers are really that concerned.

Actually, all of the folks that run these routes have been to 234 legit, unique, diverse, hidden caches too. They just add this element on top of all the other types of caches they enjoy searching for. This isn't the only kind of caching they do.

Ugh.

If you desire, you could skip the ET caches and find the twenty or so regular sized caches that have been out there for years. The fact of the matter is, no one has been in a real rush to place caches along this very lonely highway. While it's true that currently, no one could place a cache, I don't think that the local cachers are really that concerned.

I've wondered a bit about what the impact of the trail has had on those 20 something caches that pre-existed the trail. Are they being found more or less frequently? I've heard reports that many of those caches are getting cut-n-paste logs as if they were just another cache on the trail? Frankly, if I were a cache owner of one of those caches, and it was being treated as if it were just one of another 1000 caches along the road I'd be concerned.

This sort of reminds of me of when I took a 3 hours drive one day last year to find "The Spot", one of the oldest active caches in the world. I was sitting on 899 finds when I left my house so needed to find just one in order for The Spot to be my 900th find. When I found one about 5 miles or so from The Spot I read the previous logs and almost every one said something about they were on their way to find "The Spot" and found this one along the way. I read some online logs for several of the other caches in the general area and they also had similar logs. I had to wonder how a cache owner felt about most of the logs on their cache mentioning another cache. In that case, however, The Spot pre-existed all the other caches but what I could see there was a pretty good collections of caches in the high desert area (which looks like it would be a pretty cool area to visit) that will probably never be treated the same due to the existence of the E.T. trail.

Ugh.

I've wondered a bit about what the impact of the trail has had on those 20 something caches that pre-existed the trail. Are they being found more or less frequently? I've heard reports that many of those caches are getting cut-n-paste logs as if they were just another cache on the trail? Frankly, if I were a cache owner of one of those caches, and it was being treated as if it were just one of another 1000 caches along the road I'd be concerned.

This sort of reminds of me of when I took a 3 hours drive one day last year to find "The Spot", one of the oldest active caches in the world. I was sitting on 899 finds when I left my house so needed to find just one in order for The Spot to be my 900th find. When I found one about 5 miles or so from The Spot I read the previous logs and almost every one said something about they were on their way to find "The Spot" and found this one along the way. I read some online logs for several of the other caches in the general area and they also had similar logs. I had to wonder how a cache owner felt about most of the logs on their cache mentioning another cache. In that case, however, The Spot pre-existed all the other caches but what I could see there was a pretty good collections of caches in the high desert area (which looks like it would be a pretty cool area to visit) that will probably never be treated the same due to the existence of the E.T. trail.

I only watch one of those caches. GCQ07G. Mike's Memorial Cache. This is a memorial cache for man that was killed when his Jeep hit a cow at 70 MPH. I would say that roughly 90% of the cachers break from the cut n' paste and write a personalized message. I'll also say that it REALLY bothers me when I read something like "Thanks for all the ET caches" posted to this cache. Unfortunitly, it is happeneing. In a lot of cases, it looks like the cachers have actually read the description before hitting the road. Several logs indicate that they left a rock or stone at the cache. This is suggested as Mike was a geologist.

You've got me curious though. When I get time I'll look at some of the other caches and see if they have managed to stand out from the crowd.

No, you did not. Unless you physicaly signed each log--basic requirement. Impossibility for the time frame you claim. However, it's obvious that you make these posts just to get a rise. You know no one acknowledges your "finds" as legit.

You should learn to speak for yourself, and only yourself. I accept all of VKs finds as legit. And, there is no basic requirement that says that each log has to be physicaly (sic) signed.

No, you did not. Unless you physicaly signed each log--basic requirement. Impossibility for the time frame you claim. However, it's obvious that you make these posts just to get a rise. You know no one acknowledges your "finds" as legit.

You should learn to speak for yourself, and only yourself. I accept all of VKs finds as legit. And, there is no basic requirement that says that each log has to be physicaly (sic) signed.

Yes, there is, per Groundspeak. No GC police to enforce it, however. To quote--"If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad." I'm only participating in this for the debate. Have fun how you want. :)

Yes, there is, per Groundspeak. No GC police to enforce it, however. To quote--"If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad." I'm only participating in this for the debate. Have fun however you want to. :)

AND--still doesn't mean many of us outside of your own GC peer group do take you all seriously in our circles.

Edited by MindyRN6

Our goal was to find all 1021 ET geocaches in 24 hours (they are numbered E.T. #001 thru E.T. #1021).

I have come across posted logs of Nevada caches on completely missing caches. The cacher just copied/pasted "TFTC" on the page and never even remembered that it should have been a DNF.

I highly doubt there is ever a dnf on one of those caches. From what I read/hear people go out there with pre signed film cans ready to drop/swap. One is missing, no problem just drop one from your pocket.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone went out there and sign every 20th cache and log them all as found. I doubt anyone would be the wizer or would anyone care.

Don't forget they're all having fun and that's what counts :)

Edited by Klondike Mike

Legit. I can find a cache, and sign my name in 1 minute(I have had someone time it). They're 0.1miles apart, it could be done. Very tiring I imagine though.

Driving a short distance, spot the cache, stick on a sticker and your gone. Not something I would necessarily spend the time to do. I've got better, more enjoyable caches to find. Just my opinion, if you have a goal you try and accomplish it... That's what VK did, good for them! :)

Ugh.

I only watch one of those caches. GCQ07G. Mike's Memorial Cache. This is a memorial cache for man that was killed when his Jeep hit a cow at 70 MPH. I would say that roughly 90% of the cachers break from the cut n' paste and write a personalized message. I'll also say that it REALLY bothers me when I read something like "Thanks for all the ET caches" posted to this cache. Unfortunitly, it is happeneing. In a lot of cases, it looks like the cachers have actually read the description before hitting the road. Several logs indicate that they left a rock or stone at the cache. This is suggested as Mike was a geologist.

You've got me curious though. When I get time I'll look at some of the other caches and see if they have managed to stand out from the crowd.

It also chips my concrete when folks apply cut and paste E.T. Trail logs to caches such as Mike's Memorial and In Memory of Sgt. Stevenson. ( truly bugs me )

As to the caches which existed along the route sometimes they are not visited because the E.T.Trail caches have a scuba attribute. I suspect that the lower visitations to the non-E.T. Caches are because they have been filtered out of the route.

From what I read/hear people go out there with pre signed film cans ready to drop/swap. One is missing, no problem just drop one from your pocket.

Don't forget they're all having fun and that's what counts :blink:

To be certain folks carry spare containers and logs and from time to time do replace missing caches. ( perhaps some containers had been erroneously replaced) , however, I do not believe there is devious / malicious intent. My feeling is that such activity is done in order to assist in the maintenance of the trail.

But hey, I am an old goat who probably needs to get a clue.

Edited by humboldt flier

FWIW: Here I sit in Alamo, Nevada ready to tackle the trail in the morning. I want to finish this puppy up because it has been poking me and I want to lay claim to the LONGEST TIME start to finish. I have admiration for those folks who set quick times. The planning, execution and ability to resist throwing the towel in. I came via Yosemite and the Tioga Pass, hit the western end of The E.T. Hwy at dusk and experienced the daunting task of dodging cattle for 111 miles. ( Ever mindful of Michael David Adams who is memorialized by cache GCQO7G ).

and i was giving crap and denied publishing of 4 geocaches (2 ammo can, 1 small, and 1 micro ) all 3 tenths of a mile or greater of one another on a beautiful scenic hiking trail ( 2 miles long) because NYADMIN said i was power caching.....and yet you have other ADMINS approving this many caches next to one another.

LOL!

I envision it now.

LOL!

No, no, no, silly. I don't know this guy personally, but he's from my State. He was absolutely told he was "saturating" the Adirondacks with caches. This of course was way back when the please don't hide a cache every 600 feet because you can clause was actually enforced. :mad:

So too was the so-called Bruce Trail Project stopped dead in it's tracks, with no further caches allowed by the mastermind of the series.

I also remember some poor old Granny was told she couldn't place any more parking lot micros along a commercial strip in Youngstown, Ohio. :blink: I'm sure there are many more tales of woe from people who were denied placing "power trails", whom are probably very confused by the current free-for-all on power trails.

FWIW: Here I sit in Alamo, Nevada ready to tackle the trail in the morning. I want to finish this puppy up because it has been poking me and I want to lay claim to the LONGEST TIME start to finish. I have admiration for those folks who set quick times. The planning, execution and ability to resist throwing the towel in. I came via Yosemite and the Tioga Pass, hit the western end of The E.T. Hwy at dusk and experienced the daunting task of dodging cattle for 111 miles. ( Ever mindful of Michael David Adams who is memorialized by cache GCQO7G ).

In one sense, this trail is the adult version of " Are We There Yet " A particular phrase that parents of young children might be able relate to.

No, no, no, silly. I don't know this guy personally, but he's from my State. He was absolutely told he was "saturating" the Adirondacks with caches. This of course was way back when the please don't hide a cache every 600 feet because you can clause was actually enforced. :mad:

So too was the so-called Bruce Trail Project stopped dead in it's tracks, with no further caches allowed by the mastermind of the series.

I also remember some poor old Granny was told she couldn't place any more parking lot micros along a commercial strip in Youngstown, Ohio. :blink: I'm sure there are many more tales of woe from people who were denied placing "power trails", whom are probably very confused by the current free-for-all on power trails.

A couple years ago power trails were not allowed, but they seem to be now. I would take an educated guess and say that Groundspeak started allowing powertrails in the past year so that they could reach the 1 million active caches by their 10 year anniversary as to say that there are that many caches hidden around the world is quite remarkable.

As for the Bruce Trail project you mentioned, although it may have looked like a power trail when zoomed out on a map, I have done those caches and it was far from a power trail. Caches were about 500meters apart on mostly rugged terrain. A far cry from anything resembling a power trail or anything that people can do easily for numbers. The little bit that TheCarterFamily was able to put out was successful is getting cachers out onto the Bruce Trail where they might not normally have gone if it wasn't for his series of caches.

LOL!

I envision it now.

LOL!

It's equally confusing to dredge up these old examples from before the Guidelines were modified to remove the power trail language. Dissatisfaction with the application of the guideline, and the difficulty in defining a power trail, led to the change. So, consider those examples as martyrs who made it possible to have an Alien Highway series today. Let's keep the thread focused on the one day record and experiences with this cache series.

Ugh.

So what you're saying is that if someone wanted to place a cache in this area, they would have to walk something like 460 feet. I wouldn't call that saturated. Edited by sbell111

I highly doubt there is ever a dnf on one of those caches. From what I read/hear people go out there with pre signed film cans ready to drop/swap. One is missing, no problem just drop one from your pocket.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone went out there and sign every 20th cache and log them all as found. I doubt anyone would be the wizer or would anyone care.

you might want to read my post for ET 289

And yes one of the groups we ran into monday was droppng and swapping the other three were not

Those finds are legit. I havent been caching that long, but I have found some great caches. Mostly in park and on trails. And almost every single one of those caches have a VK sticker.

And the ET trail caches count just as much as those. Its just a different way to cache.

LOL!

I envision it now.

LOL!

I also remember some poor old Granny was told she couldn't place any more parking lot micros along a commercial strip in Youngstown, Ohio. :mad: I'm sure there are many more tales of woe from people who were denied placing "power trails", whom are probably very confused by the current free-for-all on power trails.

It's equally confusing to dredge up these old examples from before the Guidelines were modified to remove the power trail language. Dissatisfaction with the application of the guideline, and the difficulty in defining a power trail, led to the change. So, consider those examples as martyrs who made it possible to have an Alien Highway series today. Let's keep the thread focused on the one day record and experiences with this cache series.

Well, OK then. But you see one of the 3 Martyr's mentioned didn't even know he was a Martyr, as I was quoting him, in addition to Sbell111. :blink:

On topic, I have no doubt VK set a record, with no leapfrogging, or drop-n-swap, whatever the heck that is.

It also chips my concrete when folks apply cut and paste E.T. Trail logs to caches such as Mike's Memorial and In Memory of Sgt. Stevenson. ( truly bugs me )

As to the caches which existed along the route sometimes they are not visited because the E.T.Trail caches have a scuba attribute. I suspect that the lower visitations to the non-E.T. Caches are because they have been filtered out of the route.

Fly half way around the world, rent a van. Hit the ET trail and then just drive past a cache because it doesn't have ET in the title. Stupid.

I watch the HWY 93 (Alien Jerkey) cache, ET001 and Mike's cache. When I see a log on 001, I expect to see a log on Mike's. It doesn't always happen.

LOL!

I envision it now.

LOL!

I'd say, "sorry Granny, but things change".

I'd like to hide a Virtual. Others have, why can't I? Because things change.

That's some of my favorite type of terrain. I certainly consider it beautiful...thanks for the pics!

There are two places on the Earth that I am constantly drawn to. One is the Redwoods State Park campground in Northern California. The other is the high desert of Nevada. I think that it is great that these people are coming from all over the world to do this power trail, but I also think that they are cheating themselves by skipping Cathedral Gorge and Valley of Fire State Parks.

Ugh.

So what you're saying is that if someone wanted to place a cache in this area, they would have to walk something like 460 feet. I wouldn't call that saturated.

Actually, you can park at most of the ET caches, walk 528 feet into the desert and drop your ammo can. You wouldn't even need to hide it. Only Geocachers and cows would find it.

you might want to read my post for ET 289

And yes one of the groups we ran into monday was droppng and swapping the other three were not

Dropping and Swapping? I saw a log that admitted that they were leap frogging with two Vehicles. At that point, why bother. I have full faith that if you were to do any of the ET caches, you WILL see the VK's sticker.

Actually, all of the folks that run these routes have been to 234 legit, unique, diverse, hidden caches too. They just add this element on top of all the other types of caches they enjoy searching for. This isn't the only kind of caching they do.

Nice Reply!! +1

We've done this silly marathon 24 hour run thing at least 3 times now. :grin:

Plus, we've done many 100 + cache days.

Each time we say it's the last one we do....and then we do another. :wub:

This Alien highway was a fun epic journey thru the desert. :blink:B)B)

It had many different types of terrain.

It had many different types of animals.

It had many different types of weather too !

This type of crazy marathon caching may not be your cup of tea, ...but it looks like there have already been hundreds of geocachers that have enjoyed this Alien highway.

We should thank those crazy geocache hiders that made this epic journey available to cachers from all over the world. :D

These so called records for caches found in 24 hours are bogus-

Do the math. Take the number 1157. That is about one cache every 45 seconds, some of which had to have been done at night with a falshlight. THe claim is 24 hours. There is not way four people can find that many cache's that fast if theyu are all getting of the car to find the cache. Even if only one person got out whith a rubber stamp with all of the cachers names on the stamp, one person could not maintain a rate of 45 seconds percache. Think about it, It take so much time to get out of the car, then the time to find the cache, then the time to open the container, then the time to stamp the four names onto the log with the rubber stamp, then the time to put the log baci into the container, then the time to replace the cache, then the time to get back into the car, then the time to drive to the next cache. It can not be done, these world record 24 hours searches are fake.

1157 (24 hrs)