New World Record - 1157 geocache finds in 24 hours

...When you make and extraordinary claim you need to provide extraordinary proof.

Actually you don't.

A signature in the cache log is all that this game relies on for proof of a find.

A speed run relies solely on trust as proof that the number of finds was made in that time period.

Ventura Kids has been geocaching since the game began and has established himself. He has held records for the highest number of caches found and now for the most in 24-hours. I don't know him but I trust his word based solely on watching him in these forums through the years.

For you to come in after 3 months of caching, 52 finds and 100 forum posts and question the veracity of any 'old-timer' is silly. Those of us who play in this community do care about our track record and reputation - I for example and I suspect VK as well don't much care if you like or agree with us but we've proven that if we say we've done something you can take it to the bank.

This entire game is built on and depends on trust. Those who can't be trusted pretty quickly identify themselves by their behavior. :unsure:

...1. There is no outside authority for geocaching records. Requiring such is futile....

If there is a recognized authority for the world record ball of string, I'm sure such can some along for Geocaching in time. Shortcuts do need to be disallowed and verification does need to happen.

We worked with Guinness before we did the Dallas Record Run in 2005. They stated after some research that the audience (participation) in geocaching records was too limited for them to create a category at that time.

That may have changed. Perhaps the next team which goes for the record will be able to get Guinness to open a category.

In hindsight I wish that we had made a video with a clock timer display showing each cache we found, that would have eliminated a lot of angst. Until we get some other method of verification that may well be the best way for a team to prove their claim.

If you don't like power caching, then don't do it. If you don't find this thread productive, don't comment.

How a power route in the middle of the freaking Nevada desert can get so many of you worked up is beyond me. Fragile ecosystems blah, blah, blah. No one is using that land and now they are.

Sure I could see someone getting upset if they did it in the middle of some lush forest and reasonably so. However, it is the desert, nothing is being damaged out there. True people ought to respect the requests of the cache owner and not drive to the final. However, I can't change their behavior only mine.

To all of you neigh sayers who doubt the Ventura Kids, find something else to do with your time. It is their record for them to enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, then don't worry about it.

Geocaching is my sport. I enjoy it for what I want to get out of it. Although the aspects of finding over a thousand caches in a day does slightly appeal to me, in the end, I might not do it. I would rather hike several miles one way to get single cache or drive from California to the Trinity sight for a virtual in a weekend. Geocaching is what you make out of it, not someone else.

I don't worry about bad cachers, I just try and be a positive influence on the cachers in my community. As such we don't have a lot of bad caches in our town, just quality.

If a cache comes out that doesn't interest me, I won't find it for a while. Eventually I might just to get a smiley.

Do your own thing. Unless in involves griping and complaining about someone else's enjoyment, then just keep it to yourself or make a complainers thread and the rest of you can all enjoy each other's company.

Good job Ventura Kids. I am proud of you.

...We worked with Guinness before we did the Dallas Record Run in 2005. They stated after some research that the audience (participation) in geocaching records was too limited for them to create a category at that time....

They want throngs of people lining the roads on the record setters cache route? Or enough people interested in the catagory to help sell the book? Some records are downright goofy and very solo in nature.

...We worked with Guinness before we did the Dallas Record Run in 2005. They stated after some research that the audience (participation) in geocaching records was too limited for them to create a category at that time....

They want throngs of people lining the roads on the record setters cache route? Or enough people interested in the catagory to help sell the book? Some records are downright goofy and very solo in nature.

I couldn't tell you. One of our team members was the contact with Guinness and I don't remember exactly what he told me they said as to why they would not create a category. My memory is that, as I said, they didn't see enough interest in such a record.

Hmmm-no one explained why it is not reasonable for there to be a cache type or atribute to filter out the mindless caches and power trails. Instead, the same old its easy to deal with.

Ok, if its so easy, here is your chance to prove it.

This is downtown St Louis: N38 37.119 W90 11.124

If dealing with this is so easy, it should be no problem for one of you in the next couple of hours send me two listings of caches: 1) Quality caches within 50 miles of these cords and 2) Powertrails, mindless caches within 50 miles of the cords.

Email me your gpx files and I will let everyone know how you did.

Well, just as I suspected, no one backed up what they kept claiming like a broken record. So people need to take these baseless rationalizations with a grain of salt. People can pretend these power trails, mindless caches, and a desire to self proclaim yourself a "word record" holder don't make it much harder for those who prefer quality to quantity, but we all know it does.

...When you make and extraordinary claim you need to provide extraordinary proof.

Actually you don't.

A signature in the cache log is all that this game relies on for proof of a find.

A speed run relies solely on trust as proof that the number of finds was made in that time period.

Ventura Kids has been geocaching since the game began and has established himself. He has held records for the highest number of caches found and now for the most in 24-hours. I don't know him but I trust his word based solely on watching him in these forums through the years.

For you to come in after 3 months of caching, 52 finds and 100 forum posts and question the veracity of any 'old-timer' is silly. Those of us who play in this community do care about our track record and reputation - I for example and I suspect VK as well don't much care if you like or agree with us but we've proven that if we say we've done something you can take it to the bank.

This entire game is built on and depends on trust. Those who can't be trusted pretty quickly identify themselves by their behavior. :unsure:

With these standards, I can now officially claim the new world record: 3.500 finds in less than 1 hour! I've been caching for almost 10 years and have previously held the record for most hides in the world. So under those standards, it has to be legit. I found the cache, closed my eyes, found it again, closed my eyes found it again, and did this 3,500 times. I was able to accomplish this in less that 1 hour!!!!!!

For the old "world record" there were 4 of them and many of the finds they are counting were ones someone else in their group found. So for their self proclaimed record they are including caches someone else found and counting it as their own find. I think that is cheating so I decided I would have integrity and only count my own finds in my record run.

To the naysayers who say but that's not fair because mindlessly driving down a road finding caches any idiot could find is much harder than opening and closing your eyes, I say you are just jealous that you did not think of a way to make it easier to get numbers first!

With these standards, I can now officially claim the new world record: 3.500 finds in less than 1 hour! I've been caching for almost 10 years and have previously held the record for most hides in the world. So under those standards, it has to be legit. I found the cache, closed my eyes, found it again, closed my eyes found it again, and did this 3,500 times. I was able to accomplish this in less that 1 hour!!!!!!

Yep, you could make that claim. You just did, but I think that most readers will see it as a sarcastic joke and not take it seriously.

Making that kind of extreme claim, stating that it is legitimate and expecting us to believe you, putting your reputation on the line, however, would result in a bit of well-deserved criticism and skepticism toward any further statements! :) We're trusting, but not stupid! ;) Ergo when I see anyone with a claim which appears at all possible then I am happy to take their word for it.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me! :unsure:

...1. There is no outside authority for geocaching records. Requiring such is futile....

If there is a recognized authority for the world record ball of string, I'm sure such can some along for Geocaching in time. Shortcuts do need to be disallowed and verification does need to happen.

We worked with Guinness before we did the Dallas Record Run in 2005. They stated after some research that the audience (participation) in geocaching records was too limited for them to create a category at that time.

That may have changed. Perhaps the next team which goes for the record will be able to get Guinness to open a category.

In hindsight I wish that we had made a video with a clock timer display showing each cache we found, that would have eliminated a lot of angst. Until we get some other method of verification that may well be the best way for a team to prove their claim.

So what it boils down to is that the Guinness people require proof that the record was made without cheating. I must say I side with the Guinness people.

People can pretend these power trails, mindless caches, and a desire to self proclaim yourself a "word record" holder don't make it much harder for those who prefer quality to quantity, but we all know it does.

So I have been pretending this whole entire time because I havent had a hard time figuring out what a quality cache is?

Oh man, thank god you were here with that does of reality.

Yep, you could make that claim. You just did, but I think that most readers will see it as a sarcastic joke and not take it seriously.

Making that kind of extreme claim, stating that it is legitimate and expecting us to believe you, putting your reputation on the line, however, would result in a bit of well-deserved criticism and skepticism toward any further statements! :) We're trusting, but not stupid! ;) Ergo when I see anyone with a claim which appears at all possible then I am happy to take their word for it.

By any chance did you try to see how fast you can "find" a cache using the method I used? Many people doubt the so called "world record" based on the math of how fast they would have to find them. With how fast they claimed to find them, I can understand people not believing them and wanting proof. But for my record, any idiot can open and close their eyes 3,500 times in less than an hour. But you seem to be implying I did not open and close my eyes 3,500 times in less than an hour.

I know I am not the only one who does not think 4 people finding caches any idiot can find is a legitimate world record. How is their self proclaimed "world record" any more legitimate than my self proclaimed world record? I actually did all the finds and did not count anyone else's finds. I actually signed the logbook instead of counting someone else putting something with their name on the log book as signing the logbook. If they can set ridiculous standards to self proclaim themselves the world record holder, so can I.

Making that kind of extreme claim, stating that it is legitimate and expecting us to believe you, putting your reputation on the line, however, would result in a bit of well-deserved criticism and skepticism toward any further statements! :huh: We're trusting, but not stupid! :) Ergo when I see anyone with a claim which appears at all possible then I am happy to take their word for it.

By any chance did you try to see how fast you can "find" a cache using the method I used? Many people doubt the so called "world record" based on the math of how fast they would have to find them. With how fast they claimed to find them, I can understand people not believing them and wanting proof. But for my record, any idiot can open and close their eyes 3,500 times in less than an hour. But you seem to be implying I did not open and close my eyes 3,500 times in less than an hour.

I know I am not the only one who does not think 4 people finding caches any idiot can find is a legitimate world record. How is their self proclaimed "world record" any more legitimate than my self proclaimed world record? I actually did all the finds and did not count anyone else's finds. I actually signed the logbook instead of counting someone else putting something with their name on the log book as signing the logbook. If they can set ridiculous standards to self proclaim themselves the world record holder, so can I.

Get out of your house, navigate your way to a cache using a GPS, sign the log and then you can claim a find. Do that more often in a 24-hour period than anyone else in the world has and you can claim the 'Most Finds in 24 Hours' record.

I agree that for anyone to claim a record based on a line of easy caches specifically put out for this purpose is a bit lame. Before power trails were allowed the previous contenders made our attempts using existing caches - carefully selecting caches and figuring out an optimized route was a large part of the attempt.

Still, there is no 'rule' which says that you can't make a record using this power trail, so their record stands.

Perhaps two records will develop... one for speed caching on power trails and one for 'normal' caches, because you surely cannot compare the two efforts.

And fluttering your eyes may get the boys at the gym het up but it isn't geocaching. ;)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I'll accept your claim (Though blinking 3500 times in 1 hour seems a bit far fetched, that's 58.3 blinks a minute or one every 1.03 seconds. I would think that you would get RSI in your eyelids and that it could result in temporary damage to your vision). Thanks for telling us exactly the guidelines you followed for setting your record. I'm glad you had fun doing it. :unsure:

And that's the difference. I believe that Ventura_Kids, f0t0m0m, and foomanjoo had a great time finding caches together. While they probably would have had fun whether or not they set a record, the record was a goal that motivated them to keep going for 24 hours straight and provided a challenge where they would probably agree with you that the individual caches they found were not very challenging. You may enjoy finding a individual challenging cache, or getting to see new places because of one or two cache that bring you there. Others might enjoy a trip in a car with good friends with a chance to see the desert at all hours and a challenge of finding a huge number of caches. I've talk to Ventura_Kids about this run and they had a great time and saw many neat things during their run. For example, they told me about how different the night sky looks out in the desert than what we usually see here in the city. (With all your blinking you might have missed that).

Another thing that bothers me is calling this a "world record." I think a better way to describe it would be the most caches any idiot could find without any skill or planning in a 24 hour period by a group of 4 cachers. I grant them it takes endurance to find that many, but declaring themselves world record holders seems arrogant and disrespectful of feats that required skill and planning.
I'm thinking that you have never perused the guiness book. Most every record in there is inane.
I remember BruceS (I think he was the first cacher to make 5K) and I would say most of his trips were a much greater accomplishment than this so-called "world record." Notwithstanding the issue of how easy the caches were, if this would be considered a record, should not they be required to divide 1157 by 4 or only count the caches they actually "found" instead of taking credit for a cache someone in the group found? I've got nothing against logging a find on a group hunt, but counting caches you did not actually find toward a self proclaimed world record seems inappropriate.
I don't know about that.

I had the fortune to cache with BruceS once, several years ago. He has some sort of extra sense that allows him to find a cache MUCH quicker than I can. That being said, I found a few before he did. I did log a smiley for the ones that he found first. He did the same on the ones that I found first. Had we found a few hundred that day, I have little doubt that we would have declared ourselves 'world record' holders.

Go Grader Go!!!!!! Anyway we can encourage the grader to keep on going?

Would not a responsible cache placer think about things like road graders before placing caches in a place like that. I think this is just another example of why these power trails should be banned. I wonder if the cache placer is going to go out and find out the destroyed containers and remove them or just let them be litter.

I think that you need to make up your mind. Are these cache bad because they are causing environmental damage or are they bad because they are placed in locations that may be graded? It can't be both.
In the early days of caching, in almost all cases there was thought and consideration in placing a cache. I've done some of these smaller power trails and I got so fed up with mindlessness and carelessness of the cache placement, I did not cache for a while, There is so much garbage out there (like this power trail), I cache much less than I used to. In the early days, we competed, but it was not mindless numbers. When you did a cache, you left with a good experience besides having another find. In the early days, I did not think I could ever catch the cachers with 500 finds. So I competed in the number of hides and had more hides than anyone else in the world for quite a while. Even though I was trying to maintain my lead as the most hides in the world, I always took the time for high quality hides and I would never had placed a cache like most of the caches you find nowadays. Caching needs to get back to what it started out as.
You are overromanticizing the early days of caching. Did you have to walk to all the caches uphill and barefoot, also?
A geocacher was replacing them until the grader guy stopped him.
Why isn't the owner doing their own maintenance? I thought it was generally frowned upon to practice "Throw Down" caching?

Are power trails being given a pass on this simply because they are so difficult to maintain?

Wouldn't that be a great reason against allowing them in the first place? :unsure:

Since when are we not allowed to help other cachers with maintenance issues?

mindless garbage=a cache placed to provide number hounds another find. It would not include a cache that takes you someplace to show you something interesting or to challenge you. Once you have seen one lamppost, guard rail, cornfield, Walmart, etc. you have seen them all. If the cache is not taking you to an interesting location, on a nice walk, or a cleverly hidden cache, there should be a way to filter it out.
You know, some people have stated that the landscape surrounding this power trail is quite lovely. Clearly, these caches must not be 'mindless garbage, huh?
The problem with your argument is these power trails and mindless caches (lampposts, guardrails, etc) have overwhelmed the quality caches. There is no way to filter out the garbage.
I haven't noticed that. Usually a quick glance at the cache page, especially the map on the cache page, gives me enough information to know that I'm not going to enjoy finding a particular cache.

No one can FORCE you to go out in the desert and find all the caches on the E.T. trail. And it's certainly easy to spot the parking-lot skirt-lifters without actually driving up to them.

Right, if you want to go to an new area and do some quality caches, it is reasonable to expect you to spend days going through the thousands of cache pages to try to figure out what are the quality caches and what are the mindless caches. Or it is reasoble to expect you to spend all day driving around and finding something that is not a lamppost.
Oh come on, your a premium member how long is it going to take you to set up a PQ with the types of caches you want, unless you like looking for 1D 1T or you just like to complain
Please explain how one can filter out all the mindless garbage in your PQ (or even GSAK).
The majority of as you call them mindless garbage caches are going to be 1d 1t or 1 1/2d 1 1/2t

don't look for anything less then a 2d 2t or 2 1/2d 2 1/2t

That should take care almost all the carp you don't care to look for. True you may lose a few good ones but look at all the garbage you get rid of in your pq

It would appear you are acknowldging there is no way to filter out the garbage/mindless caches. Some of the neatest caches I have ever done would be eliminated by your suggested filtering. Unless someone can show a way to filter out all the mindless garbage, the numbers hounds should not be acting like they are not messing up caching for those who care avbout something other than numbers.
I can think of one easy peasy way to filter these.

So in 2001 the forum didn't have a quote feature?

There was not a forum in those days. Locally we had a cache called the "Local News" that was not a findable cache. It was the means of keeping locals informed. There was also a listserve. We also used walkie talkies on the trips to talk from car to car.

When you started caching, the forums were alive and well.

Be careful what you wish for you mite just get it :unsure:

And on that note extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Do you have documented proof from and out side source that you did in fact set a new record ?

You made the claim so it falls to you to provide the proof. We shouldn't have to check the logs.

So until you can its just a claim is it not?

The way this game works is that caches are logged online. If the cache owner (or anyone else, really) doesn't believe taht the logs are kosher, then he/she is welcome to go out in the field and verify them. You might also note that subsequent cachers have stated taht the OP's sig was in these cache logs.
As it stand now GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS doesn't even have a listing for geocaching.

So whose world record are you claiming to have broken?

Prior to making this run (or the previous one, perhaps), the OP started a thread that discussed what he would consider criteria for such a run. While not everyone likely agrees with this criteria, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Here's a simpler answer to your question. His group beat the record held by the previous record holder. There's a thread around here that listed them all. (Was that THIS thread?)

Regarding the bolded bit: I can go online and find their associated logs. I can't find yours. Also, people have stated that their physical logs exist. No one has posted in support of yours.

Making that kind of extreme claim, stating that it is legitimate and expecting us to believe you, putting your reputation on the line, however, would result in a bit of well-deserved criticism and skepticism toward any further statements! :huh: We're trusting, but not stupid! :) Ergo when I see anyone with a claim which appears at all possible then I am happy to take their word for it.

Get out of your house, navigate your way to a cache using a GPS, sign the log and then you can claim a find. Do that more often in a 24-hour period than anyone else in the world has and you can claim the 'Most Finds in 24 Hours' record.

I agree that for anyone to claim a record based on a line of easy caches specifically put out for this purpose is a bit lame. Before power trails were allowed the previous contenders made our attempts using existing caches - carefully selecting caches and figuring out an optimized route was a large part of the attempt.

Still, there is no 'rule' which says that you can't make a record using this power trail, so their record stands.

Perhaps two records will develop... one for speed caching on power trails and one for 'normal' caches, because you surely cannot compare the two efforts.

And fluttering your eyes may get the boys at the gym het up but it isn't geocaching. ;)

I got out of the house, used my GPS and found GC2GZAX and signed the log:

e1e6108c-7699-4fd4-b8de-fb5e6d4e5779.jpg

There is no rule against finding the cache more than once. Where is the rule that says you cannot make a record finding the cache over and over again? I signed the log book and I am not counting someone else's finds in the record. My record is MORE legit than thiers!

Regarding the bolded bit: I can go online and find their associated logs. I can't find yours. Also, people have stated that their physical logs exist. No one has posted in support of yours.

I just posted a picture of my log, feel free to go out and check.

I actually signed the log and made the finds myself. Are you or anyone else claiming they each actually found all of the finds they are counting in their old world record? Having something on the cache log with thier name on it only proves one person in thier group found the cahe. Does anyone beleive all four of them actually found that many caches and signed the log instead of counting finds someone else made while they sat in the car?

Myotis

World Record Holder for most finds in a single day!

Go Grader Go!!!!!! Anyway we can encourage the grader to keep on going?

Would not a responsible cache placer think about things like road graders before placing caches in a place like that. I think this is just another example of why these power trails should be banned. I wonder if the cache placer is going to go out and find out the destroyed containers and remove them or just let them be litter.

I think that you need to make up your mind. Are these cache bad because they are causing environmental damage or are they bad because they are placed in locations that may be graded? It can't be both.
In the early days of caching, in almost all cases there was thought and consideration in placing a cache. I've done some of these smaller power trails and I got so fed up with mindlessness and carelessness of the cache placement, I did not cache for a while, There is so much garbage out there (like this power trail), I cache much less than I used to. In the early days, we competed, but it was not mindless numbers. When you did a cache, you left with a good experience besides having another find. In the early days, I did not think I could ever catch the cachers with 500 finds. So I competed in the number of hides and had more hides than anyone else in the world for quite a while. Even though I was trying to maintain my lead as the most hides in the world, I always took the time for high quality hides and I would never had placed a cache like most of the caches you find nowadays. Caching needs to get back to what it started out as.
You are overromanticizing the early days of caching. Did you have to walk to all the caches uphill and barefoot, also?

Uphill > BOTH WAYS < in snow drifts 20 feet deep as it was relayed to me

Its silly to think there was a world record.

This is true! It's a silly bit of fun we participate in just for our own enjoyment. There is no competition inherent in geocaching - FTF or Challenges or Records are all stuff that those of us who enjoy them make up.

Absent any formal competition or sanctioning body a record is only a record to those who choose to accept and recognize it.

I hope geocaching always remains free of any competitive element! :unsure:

You are overromanticizing the early days of caching.

True. To get something of an idea of what early geocaching was like, check out navicaching or terracaching. I didn't start caching until 2008 but I recall the "wild wild West" days back in 2000 and searching for nearby caches and coming up with a handful that was within 60 miles of me. Now, there are more new caches published in one week within 50 miles of me than there were in the entire STATE back then. And not all of those old grandfather caches were exceptional. Some were just as mindless as caches we have now.

I still hold to my belief that power trails are boring but they exist because other cachers want them. Do they block "quality" caches from being placed? I doubt it. We don't have the behemoth power trails in Wisconsin that they have out west but the trails we do have are almost exclusively placed along walking/biking trails. The strip of land that these trails are built on is barely wider than a four-lane highway and beyond that is private property, so if someone shotguns a cache every .10 of a mile, it only blocks other caches along the trail. If you're saying these "mindless" caches are blocking you from placing The Greatest Cache Ever, then you're not trying hard enough.

This is true! It's a silly bit of fun we participate in just for our own enjoyment. There is no competition inherent in geocaching - FTF or Challenges or Records are all stuff that those of us who enjoy them make up.

Nothing wrong with that! I don't care for speed caching myself and have no desire to set a World Record, but spending a day zooming around in the desert with friends/family sounds like a blast. I couldn't do that for 24 hours, mind you, but 6-8 hours would be plenty.

Anyone can claim a world record, why not? But, because there is no outside authority, anyone can also call "hogwash" on the claims. All an outside authority does is reduce the arguments, nothing more, nothing less.

In the future, someone WILL beat this record. Speaking for myself, I'll accept it if:

1. I believe it was actually done.

2. The signatures/stamp/sticker was applied to the log and NOT to the outside of the cache.

3. No leapfrogging. The entire group stays together as they move from cache to cache.

4. The cache is returned to the appropriate location.

5. They don't leave a trail of destruction behind them as they go.

6. No false claims of "finds" in the run.

Those are MY requirements. Others here have different requirements and don't accept this run as a record and THAT'S OK as there is no set standard. The OP can claim a record and each reader can choose to accept it or not.

Edited by moderator

Edited by Skippermark

The OP by posting here opened up the avenue to either praise or criticism. Referring to someone as vain is not name calling. There would be those who praise and there would be those who criticize. And there would be those, myself among them, who really don't care as it in no way affects me, except that it caused me to question my own apparent incomplete attachment to the game that prevents my level of obsessiveness from rising beyond that which is normal. :D

Making that kind of extreme claim, stating that it is legitimate and expecting us to believe you, putting your reputation on the line, however, would result in a bit of well-deserved criticism and skepticism toward any further statements! :D We're trusting, but not stupid! :D Ergo when I see anyone with a claim which appears at all possible then I am happy to take their word for it.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me! :D

I actually signed the log and made the finds myself. Are you or anyone else claiming they each actually found all of the finds they are counting in their old world record? Having something on the cache log with thier name on it only proves one person in thier group found the cahe. Does anyone beleive all four of them actually found that many caches and signed the log instead of counting finds someone else made while they sat in the car?

Myotis

I'm still not finding the referenced 3500 finds in your stats.

Making that kind of extreme claim, stating that it is legitimate and expecting us to believe you, putting your reputation on the line, however, would result in a bit of well-deserved criticism and skepticism toward any further statements! :D We're trusting, but not stupid! :D Ergo when I see anyone with a claim which appears at all possible then I am happy to take their word for it.

Myotis

Where do the rules state you have to log it on gc.com for it to count as a find or a world record? I outsmarted the numberhounds and beat them in their race to the bottom. I now have the world record. Some people care about something other than numbers. While I can understand how some would want to get their numbers up by doing a power trail like ET that takes no planning or skill, I am not that vain. I am not going to stoop to their level and add all those finds to my stats. While I think my "finds" were more legitimate than finding caches on the ET Trail and counting finds someone else made while you sat in the car as part of your "world record", I am not going to add them to my stats.

As everyone should know by now, I despise these kinds of power trails and mindless caches. These kinds of caches have overwhelmed quality caches. As was proved yesterday, there is currently no reasonable way to filter out the powertrails and mindless caches. The rules do not prohibit finding caches multiple times. I have a moving cache that specifically allows you to find it more than once. So why would not some reasonable middle ground be doing the same caches over and over again instead of continuing to overwhelm quality caches and making it less fun for those who enjoy quality? Can anyone seriously argue there is any difference in difficulty in doing the entire ET Trail and doing the first 25 over and over again? Even if there was a difference-so what? Is not the purpose of this power trail to make it as easiest as possible to get finds. If someone can self proclaim the old world record on this powertrail, why would not it be legitimate for someone to find an easier way to get numbers and self proclaim a record?

Myotis

World Record holder for most finds in a day

Where do the rules state you have to log it on gc.com for it to count as a find or a world record? I outsmarted the numberhounds and beat them in their race to the bottom. I now have the world record. Some people care about something other than numbers. While I can understand how some would want to get their numbers up by doing a power trail like ET that takes no planning or skill, I am not that vain. I am not going to stoop to their level and add all those finds to my stats. While I think my "finds" were more legitimate than finding caches on the ET Trail and counting finds someone else made while you sat in the car as part of your "world record", I am not going to add them to my stats.

As everyone should know by now, I despise these kinds of power trails and mindless caches. These kinds of caches have overwhelmed quality caches. As was proved yesterday, there is currently no reasonable way to filter out the powertrails and mindless caches. The rules do not prohibit finding caches multiple times. I have a moving cache that specifically allows you to find it more than once. So why would not some reasonable middle ground be doing the same caches over and over again instead of continuing to overwhelm quality caches and making it less fun for those who enjoy quality? Can anyone seriously argue there is any difference in difficulty in doing the entire ET Trail and doing the first 25 over and over again? Even if there was a difference-so what? Is not the purpose of this power trail to make it as easiest as possible to get finds. If someone can self proclaim the old world record on this powertrail, why would not it be legitimate for someone to find an easier way to get numbers and self proclaim a record?

Myotis

World Record holder for most finds in a day

Congratulations. I hope you had as much fun with your accomplishment as others appear to have had.

As everyone should know by now, I despise these kinds of power trails and mindless caches. These kinds of caches have overwhelmed quality caches. As was proved yesterday, there is currently no reasonable way to filter out the powertrails and mindless caches.

That wasnt proved yesterday. Because somebody didnt want to waste their time doing a stupid challange, that doesnt prove your point.

I have no problem filtering out mindless caches and power trails. If you cant figure it out, thats your bad. But it doesnt prove a thing.

You want to filter out mindless caches? Click on the cache page, read about it. Look at the map. Read logs.

Want to filter out power trails? Look at the map, click on the cache pages. Its really that simple.

As everyone should know by now, I despise these kinds of power trails and mindless caches. These kinds of caches have overwhelmed quality caches. As was proved yesterday, there is currently no reasonable way to filter out the powertrails and mindless caches.

That wasnt proved yesterday. Because somebody didnt want to waste their time doing a stupid challange, that doesnt prove your point.

I have no problem filtering out mindless caches and power trails. If you cant figure it out, thats your bad. But it doesnt prove a thing.

You want to filter out mindless caches? Click on the cache page, read about it. Look at the map. Read logs.

Want to filter out power trails? Look at the map, click on the cache pages. Its really that simple.

PROVE IT!!!! Anyone can make wild claims. You are entitled to your opinion but not your own facts. PROVE IT!!!!!! If it is so easy, it would not take that long to prove your claim.

After I set the world record yesterday, I continued on to the end of the bike trail where there was another cache. I had looked at the map and read the cache page and logs before I headed out to set the world record. It looked like a nice cache. When I got to the end of the bike trail, the cache was on a telephone pole with a bunch of electrical boxes with wording like danger on them and was directly in front of a business window. The cache hiding guidelines state:

Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types

For all physical caches and waypoints, think carefully about how your container and the actions of geocachers will be perceived by the public. * * * For example, a cache hidden in full view of office or apartment building windows exposes a geocacher to being seen by someone who may think the cache search looks suspicious. Your cache may be hidden on public property with permission, but there may be concerned residents on the other side of that property line.

But there was nothing in any of the logs (before mine) pointing out how messing around on the electrical boxes could look suspicious to someone in the business.

I have proved it. After I started caching and did some local "mindless" cache find, I decided to take my time and read the logs, study the map and figured out what I consider to be quality caches. Now I have plenty of quality cache finds. I have never done a power trail. My profile page is all the proof I need. You are right, it doesnt take long to prove it. Just a few clicks.

There is nothing wild about "click on the cache page, look at the map and read the logs". It what you should be doing in the first place. And its something that clearly you dont do:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f7-8c8d693d4566

Cache name - Sparky

Hint - If you've seen one, you've seen them all!

The hint alone tells me that its a common urban type cache. Then I took a look at the map. On a urban street right infront of a building and next to a parking lot. That sure screams "quality cache" to me.

Thanks for proving my point.

Edited by EhFhQ

PROVE IT!!!! Anyone can make wild claims. You are entitled to your opinion but not your own facts. PROVE IT!!!!!! If it is so easy, it would not take that long to prove your claim.

What EhFhQ stated is something that he, I and many others reading this do ALL the time. It's not hard, it's not complicated and, for me, is part of the process that I actually enjoy.

It's obvious that you have a visceral dislike to power trails and there is nothing that anyone can say that will sway your opinion.

Unfortunately, it appears you no longer like geocaching, as the day-to-day reality of geocaching now seems to annoy you. That's too bad, and I'm sorry to see that, but there is nothing anybody here can say or write that is going to make it enjoyable for you.

And, as much you'd like to see the elimination of these power trails, their elimination is not going to change your experience as a geocacher. There will still be all those caches out there that you hate, but others enjoy. Yes, there are people who enjoy the caches you dislike and to take away their choice makes the sport smaller and cliquish.

This is a broad sport with elements that can appeal to a wide variety of people. I'm happy that Ventura_Kids and the others who try the E.T. power trail ENJOY the experience. I would not enjoy caching for 24 hours straight, but I can appreciate their enjoyment and applaud their effort.

From reading the logs of that trail, I see a lot of comments from cachers who enjoyed the experience of going through the Nevada desert picking up finds. A few logs show a new appreciation to the beauty of the Nevada desert. Family and friends have bonded over the experience. I think thats wonderful and more power to them. It may not have value for you, but it has value for them.

I have proved it. After I started caching and did some local "mindless" cache find, I decided to take my time and read the logs, study the map and figured out what I consider to be quality caches. Now I have plenty of quality cache finds. I have never done a power trail. My profile page is all the proof I need. You are right, it doesnt take long to prove it. Just a few clicks.

There is nothing wild about "click on the cache page, look at the map and read the logs". It what you should be doing in the first place. And its something that clearly you dont do:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f7-8c8d693d4566

Cache name - Sparky

Hint - If you've seen one, you've seen them all!

The hint alone tells me that its a common urban type cache. Then I took a look at the map. On a urban street right infront of a building and next to a parking lot. That sure screams "quality cache" to me.

Thanks for proving my point.

PROVE IT!!!!!!

PROVE IT!!!!!!

if you can sort through thousands of caches with a few mouse clicks, please show me. What you described USED to be reasonably possible. But when the quality caches have been overwhelmed by thousands of mindless caches, what you describe is not reasonable. It is also not possible with a few mouse clicks.

Furthermore, it does not work many times. You stated "On a urban street right in front of a building and next to a parking lot." While that is true, it is also about 75 feet from a bike trail (if you do as I did, it is a real nice bike ride to the cache from the other end of the trail). It is also about 25 feet from the trail information structure. Many of these trail information structures along Madison County's bike trails have caches hidden in them. Some of them have been evil hides that I went back multiple times trying to find. While you can see the trail structure from the business, looking at it would not raise suspicion of someone in the nearby business. Additionally, did you notice the photos you looked at did not show the trail or trail information structure? That's because it is a brand new extenstion of the trail.

First of all I NEVER said I can sort through thousands of cache pages with only a few clicks. I mentioned that you can find my cache page with a few clicks. Making things up doesnt really help your cause.

I already proved it. My cache page proves it all. Ive sorted through hundreds of caches to find the ones on my page. My last caching trip was amazing. I probably went through about one hundred cache pages and worked out a great route to find them. It was a great day in Hollywood. Our best caching trip yet.

You just want to sit there with your hands over your ears and not listen to what I just said while screaming "PROVE IT". Notice that plenty of other people agree with me. Theres one right above your post. But it doesnt matter to you. You have made your mind up.

How you ever thought a cache called 'sparky' with a hint that says "If you've seen one, you've seen them all!" was a quality cache is beyond me. And it proves my point.

I've got another challenge for those who say you can figure out the good ones from the bad ones by looking at the cache page, maps, and logs. Sometimes the cache page will not say anything meaningful about the cache and many cachers will not say a word when there is a major problem with the cache.

Point A: N38 41.452 W90 11.173

Point B: N38 41.403 W90 11.178

They are about 300 feet apart. A cache at one of the points would be reasonably considered a quality cache. The other one is a location similar to a cache Groundspeak shut down-the cache page did not have any meaningful description of the cache and the found log failed to mention the major problem that resulted in Groundspeak shutting it down.

If it's so easy to figure this stuff out by reading cache pages, logs, and looking at photos, I am sure it will be easy to tell me which is the quality spot and what the problem with the other spot is.

First of all I NEVER said I can sort through thousands of cache pages with only a few clicks. I mentioned that you can find my cache page with a few clicks. Making things up doesnt really help your cause.

I already proved it. My cache page proves it all. Ive sorted through hundreds of caches to find the ones on my page. My last caching trip was amazing. I probably went through about one hundred cache pages and worked out a great route to find them. It was a great day in Hollywood. Our best caching trip yet.

You just want to sit there with your hands over your ears and not listen to what I just said while screaming "PROVE IT". Notice that plenty of other people agree with me. Theres one right above your post. But it doesnt matter to you. You have made your mind up.

How you ever thought a cache called 'sparky' with a hint that says "If you've seen one, you've seen them all!" was a quality cache is beyond me. And it proves my point.

It looks like the problem is that you have created a strawman instead of addressing the issue I have raised. If there was an attribute or cache type (and cache owers would use them) for power trails and mindless caches (i.e., caches that sole purpose is numbers and as such does not show you an interesting place or present a challenge to find) and you have to deal with thousands of caches it would be easy to filter out these kinds of caches. Some are claiming it is already easy and reasonable to do this. So if you are not addressing dealing with thousands of caches, then you have created a strawman.

I really dont care about your attribute nonsense. I was merely replying to your absurd notion that since nobody took your challange, that you proved that its impossible to filter out mindless caches and power trails. And that its a wild claim that people are able to do so.

And I proved my point.

There is no strawman.

Myotis

If even you don't think your finds were legitimate enough to put in your stats, why should anyone else care about them? Further, your 'record' is not going to affect the OP because you used different standards than he did. Therefore, you didn't overcome his achievement. You just made a record doing something else, apparently.
When was that proven? You appear to have a different memory of yesterday than the record shows.
The rules do not prohibit finding caches multiple times. I have a moving cache that specifically allows you to find it more than once. So why would not some reasonable middle ground be doing the same caches over and over again instead of continuing to overwhelm quality caches and making it less fun for those who enjoy quality?
I'm not finding any proof that quality cachers are being overwhelmed. If fact, it seems like there are more great ones to find than ever before.
Can anyone seriously argue there is any difference in difficulty in doing the entire ET Trail and doing the first 25 over and over again? Even if there was a difference-so what? Is not the purpose of this power trail to make it as easiest as possible to get finds. If someone can self proclaim the old world record on this powertrail, why would not it be legitimate for someone to find an easier way to get numbers and self proclaim a record?
Mostly, the problem with your plan is that most cachers don't share your willingless to multilog caches. Also, your way doesn't sound like very much fun. Edited by sbell111