New World Record - 1157 geocache finds in 24 hours

That's awesome - good work guys! You are getting alot of attitude in this thread but you set out to achieve a physically demanding and adventurous task and you achieved it. Congrats!! I would do something 'crazy' like this too. I want to at least do the alien head someday - way cool!!!

Completly possible..... and even easier as a team.

My thought for doing the series would be on some sort of motorcycle/dirtbike, and then I save the time of exiting the vehicle and just roll up, sticker, and continue on and could probably cut the time to 30 seconds between caches.

On Sept 27th, 2010 we took a trip out to the Alien Highway in Nevada.

Our goal was to find all 1021 ET geocaches in 24 hours (they are numbered E.T. #001 thru E.T. #1021).

We only took one vehicle and 4 geocachers.

We only drove 165 miles between 2 gas stations, yet we had to add 10 gallons of gas (we brought it with us)

Here is a list of past records we found (I've added a few additional records that cachers sent to me).

1157 (24 hrs) - Monday, Sept 27, 2010 - Alamo, Nevada - Foomanjoo, F0T0M0M, ventura_kids

1105 - (1 Day 8:20AM - 6:45PM) - July 31, 2010 - Nevada - FlagMan, devhead, AS73, SD-Weiss, Thunder-4, Ragfoot

1045 ( 1 day) - Nevada - Sept 7, 2010 - Night-Hawk, Featheredfriends, WE4NCS, CacheUMan

1021 - (1 Day) - July 14, 2010 - Nevada - Triple Crown, Duncan!, lulu499, snflwrmh

737 - (1 Day) - July 7, 2010 - Nevada - tite lines

695 (1 Day) - Friday, April 16, 2010 - Nevada\California - legoboyjj, Rain or Shine, ZSteve

566 - March 26, 2010 - Nevada\California - ventura_kids, f0t0m0m, Cachepal

480 - December 28, 2009 - Denmark\Sweden - Picht, Elmbaek

413 (1 Day) - August 29, 2009 - Colorado - ventura_kids, f0t0m0m, EMC of Northridge, CA

409 - May 9, 2009 - Colorado - dndsterns, chefstern, ColoradoOB

315 (24 hrs) - May 18, 2008 - Sacramento, California - Elmbaek, Schuleit, gjensen, Picht, tottommy, Sjanten, Zooor

312 (24 hrs) - May 20, 2006 - Texas - geoPirat, m.zielinski, darth_maul_3, spuchtfink, Cache & Keri

263 (24 hrs) - May 22, 2005 - Jacksonville, Florida - geoPirat, Huskie

246 (24 hrs) - October 24, 2004 - Jacksonville, Florida - CaptDC52, Luke11.9, Zatoichi

240 (24 hrs) - July 4, 2004 - Nashville, Tennessee - The Leprechauns, carleenp

238 (24 hrs) - September 14, 2003 - Nashville, Tennessee - fullct

Congratulations!!!

The Grand Cherokee is much more comfortable for highway geocaching.

It has an awesome 4 wheel drive system too.

Just the couple of inches of clearance will cause dozens of bruises when trying to enter and exit the vehicle in a hurry at 3am.

And the "head knocks" when jumping up too quickly and hitting your head on the roll bar. I've never been to the desert, but it's one of the places I'd like to visit someday. A friend is trying to convince me to go and do the series or part of it, but my wife has me on travel restriction. :anitongue:

Good for you! Couple of us local cachers buddies down here in Central Florida keep threatining eachother, that we're going to fly out there, rent a car and do that run. How much beer did yall drink??? Jus kidn. ; )

Actualy Id rather do that run and some other desert/mountain caches than Vegas anyway.

My favorite one would have to be the very last one....whatever that one was (it's all a blur).

I'm currently still trying to log them all (somehow I messed up and have 4 extras in there...dang). It's taken me over 14 hours to log them (cut and paste with field notes).....so far.

We drank tons of water and were still thirsty at the end. We slept for about16 hours after it was over....but we still had those buzzy sea-legs for a couple of days.

Consult your doctor before beginning any new excercise routine. You've got to be conditioned to attempt these records, Congratulations.

I'm not sure I understand this post. Are you looking for congratulations, or consolation?

There is no way this could be done by opening every container and fishing out the log. It's got to be the sticker method.

Even then, This would be mind-numbingly tedious. Poor car.

Let's see 24 X 60 = 1440 mins in 24 hrs. 1440 divided by 1057 = 1.36 min per cache.

Pray tell, how does one do that? inquiring minds want to know.

These threads always bring out the boo birds. Come on guys, stop being jerks. A lot of us are interested in these stories. If you aren't,

why don't you find a different thread.

Anyway, Congratulations on this crazy feat!

Completly possible..... and even easier as a team.

My thought for doing the series would be on some sort of motorcycle/dirtbike, and then I save the time of exiting the vehicle and just roll up, sticker, and continue on and could probably cut the time to 30 seconds between caches.

Hmmmmm, a trike bike might be the ideal " time shaver "

All the caches are on the right side of the road. In many spots there is limited room to pull over, so we just parked ON the road with the blinkers on. We all searched for the cache thru the windows as we arrived. 2 of us called out the distance and where the cache was ...."40 feet directly to the side". The 2 people on the right side of the Jeep jumped out. If they did not yell "got it" within about 10 seconds, then the 2 people on the left side of the Jeep were supposed to help. Normally, by the time I (the driver) pulled the gpsr out of its dash mount, and exited the vehicle, the cache was found. After a bit.... we could rotate jobs and positions (depending on likes and dislikes.....or injuries).

We brought those needle nosed pliers to help pull the logsheets out...but they were not needed. You can just shove your thumb in and the log will pop out. Unroll it, sticker it, roll it up, pop it back in, cap it, and you are on your way (after picking up all the tiny signature papers off the ground).

2 people could do it. It's just an endurance run. It's like a marathon....pace yourselves. Try not to get any injuries near the beginning. Keep drinking water. Stop for a picture now and then. Watch out for scorpions, and cactus (we had NO cell phone service in most areas).

Remember to have fun. :lol:

I'm not sure I understand this post. Are you looking for congratulations, or consolation?

There is no way this could be done by opening every container and fishing out the log. It's got to be the sticker method.

Even then, This would be mind-numbingly tedious. Poor car.

Let's see 24 X 60 = 1440 mins in 24 hrs. 1440 divided by 1057 = 1.36 min per cache.

Pray tell, how does one do that? inquiring minds want to know.

These threads always bring out the boo birds. Come on guys, stop being jerks. A lot of us are interested in these stories. If you aren't,

why don't you find a different thread.

Anyway, Congratulations on this crazy feat!

Well you know whats said about there being one in every crowd

Oh the weather in that area Sunday afternoon was maybe in the 80s and partially cloudy, We passed by on I 15 late in the afternoon on our way back from Salt Lake city, and no we didnt do any of them but we are plannig on it later in the month :lol:

Edited by vagabond

Contrats also from us here in Ontario to ventura_kids and gang on the record. You're missing the records 626 and 1038 from the list I originally put together. I kept 737 and 1021 in to distinguish the difference between 1 Day (until midnight) record and 24 Hour record for anyone that likes to keep score. I left out 1045 from your list since it wasn't a record (higher total was already set on July 31).

1157 (24 hrs) - Monday, September 27, 2010 - Alamo, Nevada - Foomanjoo, F0T0M0M, ventura_kids

1105 - (1 Day 8:20AM - 6:45PM) - July 31, 2010 - Nevada - FlagMan, devhead, AS73, SD-Weiss, Thunder-4, Ragfoot

1021 - (1 Day) - July 14, 2010 - Nevada - Triple Crown, Duncan!, lulu499, snflwrmh

737 - (1 Day) - July 7, 2010 - Nevada - tite lines

1038 - (24 hrs) - June 18\19, 2010 - Nevada - Peasinapod, Team Geo-Rangers

695 (1 Day) - Friday, April 16, 2010 - Nevada\California - legoboyjj, Rain or Shine, ZSteve

626 (1 Day) - Friday, April 2, 2010 - Nevada\Califonria - Team Geo-Rangers, Peasinapod

566 - March 26, 2010 - Nevada\California - ventura_kids, f0t0m0m, Cachepal

480 - December 28, 2009 - Denmark\Sweden - Picht, Elmbaek

413 (1 Day) - August 29, 2009 - Colorado - ventura_kids, f0t0m0m, EMC of Northridge, CA

409 - May 9, 2009 - Colorado - dndsterns, chefstern, ColoradoOB

315 (24 hrs) - May 18, 2008 - Sacramento, California - Elmbaek, Schuleit, gjensen, Picht, tottommy, Sjanten, Zooor

312 (24 hrs) - May 20, 2006 - Texas - geoPirat, m.zielinski, darth_maul_3, spuchtfink, Cache & Keri

263 (24 hrs) - May 22, 2005 - Jacksonville, Florida - geoPirat, Huskie

246 (24 hrs) - October 24, 2004 - Jacksonville, Florida - CaptDC52, Luke11.9, Zatoichi

240 (24 hrs) - July 4, 2004 - Nashville, Tennessee - The Leprechauns, carleenp

238 (24 hrs) - September 14, 2003 - Nashville, Tennessee - fullct

I think fullct was the first to break 100 caches in a day\24 hrs, unless someone else knows otherwise. I know there was a lot of talk early on about people wanting to find 100 in a day.

:lol: Are these caches right next to the road and have big neon arrows pointing to them or is there a search involved? I'm not saying it is impossible but I would like to hear more about how it is done.

Many are right next to the road. The rest are close enough to the road that it is only 10 or 15 steps or if you have a vehicle with high clearance and rugged tires, you pull right up to it.

I've seen references to this several times in the past and find it kind of troublesome.

In the case of the alien portion of the trail the CO specifically asked that people *not* drive to each of the caches as the area is environmentally sensitive, yet I've read several logs which indicate that there are some the ignored the CO, all in the goal of trying to find the caches faster then if they walked the route.

I have to say that as someone who did part of this trail, that the references you are talking about are unfortunately correct. There were a lot of tire tracks in places that really shouldn't have had them. We actually jumped out and ran out to the cache location for the ones that were off of the road. But honestly, the amount of people not following what the CO requested was disturbing, especially at the Alien Head. We hiked that entire course, but saw a lot of tire tracks that really should not have been there.

I guess some people think that just because it's the desert it doesn't matter... :lol:

To the OP, congratulations on your record, glad you had a good time!

So here is the plan:

Find the closest Home Depo to the E.T. Hire as many illegal Aliens as will fit in the car safely. Drive the route and have the Aliens find the E.T.s. (Thanks to MM32 for the idea)

Workable?

Seriosly though. Sometimes it's about the numbers. Some players are purests and if left to them caches would only be hidden 10 miles out in the boonies and be the size of my Grandfather's Buick and overflowing with swag. Others would be looking for a plastic fly in a garbage dump. Then there is the ever popular micro in a bush.

Point is there are many ways to play the game.

Personally I like the E.T. and plan to give it a go as soon as I can figure out how to get there.

Edited by klipsch49er

So here is the plan:

Find the closest Home Depo to the E.T. Hire as many illegal Aliens as will fit in the car safely. Drive the route and have the Aliens find the E.T.s. (Thanks to MM32 for the idea)

Workable?

not to workable. My Home Depot doesn't have any illegal Aliens outside.

I got two words:

Who cares.

Dude, A lot of people care.

Ahhhhhhh yes a fresh voice of reason.

Hey N/S Oct. 14, 15, 16 have been budgeted for a visit to you know where. Looking for temps. in the 80's but hey thats where they were supposed to be before Mother Nature turned the heat up on us. Don't you miss 116*

Hi to you and yours.

We hiked that entire course, but saw a lot of tire tracks that really should not have been there.

A question for the desert dwellers:

I poked around a bit, drooling over the way kewl alien head series, and I saw the note from the cache owner suggesting that folks hike the series instead of drive it. I know that the desert has some sensitive ares, just like any other ecosystem, but I have no knowledge of that specific spot. So my question is, is the hike request a result of the cache owner's preferences, the result of some law to which I am not privy, or the result of an environment that can be significantly damaged by any vehicular traffic? I'm just wondering how much weight to give the owner's suggestion. Google Earth shows what looks, (from a novices perspective), like Jeep trails all around the big head.

I don't know enough about the rules in the desert.

That may be another thread entirely.

This thread was just to let everyone know that another crazy area exists where cachers from all around the world have been setting new Personal Records. :huh:

Well...no....that's not what this thread is for either. :D

This one is to brag about the BIG NUMBERS that are being achieved out there. :unsure:;):rolleyes:

Perhaps we need a thread that is all "about" the Alien Highway. B)

This one is to brag about the BIG NUMBERS that are being achieved out there. ;):D:rolleyes:

i always find it funny when a cacher talks about achievements. i know how people play the game differently and how it's all a competition to them, i just personally can't understand it B)

This one is to brag about the BIG NUMBERS that are being achieved out there. B):D:rolleyes:
i always find it funny when a cacher talks about achievements. i know how people play the game differently and how it's all a competition to them, i just personally can't understand it :unsure:

I can't understand how anyone could 'play' a 'game' and not be competitive... as they say, to each their own ;)

Exactly. I can't understand how an adult could not understand that a person striving to push to greater and greater levels of achievement, even while playing this silly game, is completely normal.

I can't understand how anyone could 'play' a 'game' and not be competitive.

As you say, to each his own. To me, competition is not a positive concept. I see only negative connotations when the term comes up. Because of this, the idea of adding something that I view as a negative, to an activity that I view as a positive, just feels wrong on some deep, basic level. I feel the same way about fishing tournaments. Both kayak fishing and geocaching are, for me, fairly spiritual activities that get me one step closer to Momma Nature. Competition would cheapen my experience. For those who enjoy competing, I say "Go for it". :rolleyes:

i know how people play the game differently and how it's all a competition to them, i just personally can't understand it
I can't understand how anyone could 'play' a 'game' and not be competitive

I sometimes find myself wondering if forums for running websites have similar repeating threads between people who run recreationally, and people who enter 10Ks and marathons. I get the sense that they all seem to coexist and understand each other on this point pretty peacefully, but I guess I don't know for sure.

I can't understand how anyone could 'play' a 'game' and not be competitive... as they say, to each their own :rolleyes:

think of it as a game that you play on your own, simply for the sake of having fun. there's no winning or losing.

This one is to brag about the BIG NUMBERS that are being achieved out there. B):D:rolleyes:
i just personally can't understand it :unsure:

I can't understand how anyone could 'play' a 'game' and not be competitive... as they say, to each their own ;)

Whats not to understand? I hate being competitive. I prefer playing a game, not the end result of playing it.

I play a lot of video games and I refuse to play against people. I prefer co-op multipler. Working with somebody towards a common goal is a lot more fun for me than working against each other.

But I understand why people enjoy being competitive.

i know how people play the game differently and how it's all a competition to them, i just personally can't understand it
I can't understand how anyone could 'play' a 'game' and not be competitive

I sometimes find myself wondering if forums for running websites have similar repeating threads between people who run recreationally, and people who enter 10Ks and marathons. I get the sense that they all seem to coexist and understand each other on this point pretty peacefully, but I guess I don't know for sure.

It's not quite as bad as that, but close. Many of the people who have fast marathon times and consider themselves "competitors" really hate that thousands of slowpokes are cluttering up the space behind them. They think it somehow cheapens their sport that "joggers" like me are able to enter their races and earn finisher medals even though it takes us more than six hours to reach the finish line.

This one is to brag about the BIG NUMBERS that are being achieved out there. :D:):blink:
i just personally can't understand it :D

I can't understand how anyone could 'play' a 'game' and not be competitive... as they say, to each their own :)

Whats not to understand? I hate being competitive. I prefer playing a game, not the end result of playing it.

I play a lot of video games and I refuse to play against people. I prefer co-op multipler. Working with somebody towards a common goal is a lot more fun for me than working against each other.

I enjoy the competitive aspect of many activities, but note necessarily as a competition against someone else. I used to play darts competitively in tournaments and leagues and have played against some very, very good players (I've thrown against someone on the U.S. National team). I've also played against others one on one for $100 a game. I've also played against someone that was very good "for fun", but was no less competitive, and even though he beat me 10 games in a row I enjoyed the challenge of every one of them.

That doesn't mean I want to be competitive with every game I play and one of the reasons I enjoy geocaching is that it's something that I can do just for the enjoyment of the play. If others want to enjoy the competitive aspect I'm perfectly fine with that, up to the point that it might negatively impact my enjoyment of the game.

This one is to brag about the BIG NUMBERS that are being achieved out there. :D:):blink:
i just personally can't understand it :D

I can't understand how anyone could 'play' a 'game' and not be competitive... as they say, to each their own :)

I enjoy the competitive aspect of many activities, but note necessarily as a competition against someone else. I used to play darts competitively in tournaments and leagues and have played against some very, very good players (I've thrown against someone on the U.S. National team). I've also played against others one on one for $100 a game. I've also played against someone that was very good "for fun", but was no less competitive, and even though he beat me 10 games in a row I enjoyed the challenge of every one of them.

That doesn't mean I want to be competitive with every game I play and one of the reasons I enjoy geocaching is that it's something that I can do just for the enjoyment of the play. If others want to enjoy the competitive aspect I'm perfectly fine with that, up to the point that it might negatively impact my enjoyment of the game.

I am highly competitive but mostly with myself, this is why I have GSAK to track my finds and the areas I want to compete at. YES FTFs are my FAV

Scubasonic

and i was giving crap and denied publishing of 4 geocaches (2 ammo can, 1 small, and 1 micro ) all 3 tenths of a mile or greater of one another on a beautiful scenic hiking trail ( 2 miles long) because NYADMIN said i was power caching.....and yet you have other ADMINS approving this many caches next to one another.

LOL!

I can't wait to see the next new record.

I envision it now.

NEW WORLD RECORD - 3000 geocache finds in 24 hours

LOL!

We're leaving for vegas sunday and we're going to do it just so we can say we did it, The only record we plan to break is our personal record of most finds in a day, it might take us 2 days or 3 days but we will have fun doing it and thats what it's all about, what the heck we may not even finish it

:) Are these caches right next to the road and have big neon arrows pointing to them or is there a search involved? I'm not saying it is impossible but I would like to hear more about how it is done.

Many are right next to the road. The rest are close enough to the road that it is only 10 or 15 steps or if you have a vehicle with high clearance and rugged tires, you pull right up to it.

I've seen references to this several times in the past and find it kind of troublesome.

In the case of the alien portion of the trail the CO specifically asked that people *not* drive to each of the caches as the area is environmentally sensitive, yet I've read several logs which indicate that there are some the ignored the CO, all in the goal of trying to find the caches faster then if they walked the route.

I have to say that as someone who did part of this trail, that the references you are talking about are unfortunately correct. There were a lot of tire tracks in places that really shouldn't have had them. We actually jumped out and ran out to the cache location for the ones that were off of the road. But honestly, the amount of people not following what the CO requested was disturbing, especially at the Alien Head. We hiked that entire course, but saw a lot of tire tracks that really should not have been there.

I guess some people think that just because it's the desert it doesn't matter... :blink:

Come on, lighten up. What's a few tire tracks in sensitive areas if you are going for numbers?

The BLM won't care. They're sure to keep welcoming geocaching on all 264 million acres of land they manage despite the damage here and black eye that TOTG gave us with them.

We need more of these power trails and record runs. They are so good for the future of the sport. I'm sure land managers will love them.

Edited by briansnat

We're leaving for vegas sunday and we're going to do it just so we can say we did it, The only record we plan to break is our personal record of most finds in a day, it might take us 2 days or 3 days but we will have fun doing it and thats what it's all about, what the heck we may not even finish it

Take the time to do the Tiampute Mine loop up and over Schofield pass. The entry point is between ET # 257 & 258. Comes out ~ 300 or so. Which will mean some back tracking.

If your cache mobile is studly you will be close to the cache site where the Phantom punched in. I wouldn't do this unless your rig is somewhat studly. Remember it is the desert.

Hey why am I telling you about deserts, you are from Elsinore and know all about hot and dry.

Edited by humboldt flier

:mmraspberry: Are these caches right next to the road and have big neon arrows pointing to them or is there a search involved? I'm not saying it is impossible but I would like to hear more about how it is done.

I guess some people think that just because it's the desert it doesn't matter... :signalviolin:

Come on, lighten up. What's a few tire tracks in sensitive areas if you are going for numbers?

The BLM won't care. They're sure to keep welcoming geocaching on all 264 million acres of land they manage despite the damage here and black eye that TOTG gave us with them.

We need more of these power trails and record runs. They are so good for the future of the sport. I'm sure land managers will love them.

You've got my vote for cacher of the year in 2010.

Take the time to do the Tiampute Mine loop up and over Schofield pass. The entry point is between ET # 257 & 258. Comes out ~ 300 or so. Which will mean some back tracking.

If your cache mobile is studly you will be close to the cache site where the Phantom punched in. I wouldn't do this unless your rig is somewhat studly. Remember it is the desert.

Hey why am I telling you about deserts, you are from Elsinore and know all about hot and dry.

scan down to the pic

Hows this it's the one we went to salt Lake City for, now we own 2 of them. Love the body style

Edited by vagabond

Snow has arrived in the Sierras ... a team from California's Central Valley had to take the looooooooong way home because the passes through the Sierras were closed. ( it is my assumption that they were trying to head home via the Tioga Pass which leads through Yosemite)

In a few short weeks Tioga and other passes will be closed until spring.

Don't let an ET Trail run for the record blind you to other planning aspects. Heat, hydration and now mountain storms / blizzards. Be safe out there.

Edited by humboldt flier

Snow has arrived in the Sierras ... a team from California's Central Valley had to take the looooooooong way home because the passes through the Sierras were closed. ( it is my assumption that they were trying to head home via the Tioga Pass which leads through Yosemite)

In a few short weeks Tioga and other passes will be closed until spring.

Don't let an ET Trail run for the record blind you to other planning aspects. Heat, hydration and now mountain storms / blizzards. Be safe out there.

If Tioga pass closed, Sonora pass would almost certainly have closed. I've traversed pretty much all of the Sierra passes from Sequoia to Chico and if I had to do one in a blizzard, Sonora pass would be the last I would attempt. I've also been on Tioga pass the day that it opened in the Spring. With all the snow melt and an absolutely gorgeous day it was one of the most spectacular drives I've ever done. I'd love to do some mountain pass geocaching out there some day.