Garmin screen protectors from Zagg

I've been using shipping tape as a screen protector for my 62s since I got it, and it has worked very well, except for having to change it frequently. Anyway, Zagg now has their Invisible Shield available. Thought you guys might like to know.

Also, be sure to use the promo code "ZAGG20" for $3.00 off.

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/garmin...ns-shields.php#

Is it just me or do others find the Zagg material "stickier" than you'd like? I find scrolling across it with a stylus a real pain. I also noted that, after installing one on my TomTom (cut from their "universal" size) that the glare from the Zagg seemed to be more than the raw TomTom screen.

I've been playing around with several types lately. Just picked up some Vivitar branded material. I like the feel and glare, but it's scratching really fast.

Still looking for the best answer, but so far, the stuff I was buying for cameras at www.photodon.com seems to be working the best. He doesn't list pre-cuts for handheld GPS units, but that's easy to remedy.

http://www.photodon.com/c/Navigational+Systems.html

I got the 50% off through the ipad giveaway and ordered protectors for my iphone and my oregon. Both went on pretty easy, and have saved my screens on numerous occasions, especially with the Oregon out hiking.

Do you notice any difference, such as loss of screen touch sensitivity, with the screen protector on it?

i like the somewhat sticky and soft feel of the zaggs, but i use my fingers and nails and not a stylus. installation was a bitch though and i do have some grainy looking imperfections left on the screen. still beats getting scratches though.

I put the zagg shields on all my portable electronics. I just ordered one for my 62s.

The zagg material IS stickier on touch screen models (like my cell phone). But it protects like no other and will literally last the life of the electronics it is protecting. On my 62s, I am not worried about the stickier feel, as it is not a touch screen model.

When you install, you MUST make sure the screen is squeaky clean, and then using the spray that comes with it you install the shield. small bubbles will work their way out over the course of a week or so, so don't worry about them. The more you use it the quicker it will clear up.

Is it just me or do others find the Zagg material "stickier" than you'd like?

I have a Zagg on my Oregon. I agree with you, it's more "sticky" than I'd like. Mine also seems slightly tinted when the unit is turned on.

I've gone through a number of different manufacturers' protectors on various devices, and my new favorite is Ghost Armor. I don't dislike the Zagg on my Oregon enough to bother changing it, though.

I have been using the Zagg shield on my 60CSx for almost four years now and it still looks fine. I did, however, find one major issue with it. The surface will stick to the inside of the clear plastic portion of the Garmin Carrying Case. I solved that problem as described in the article I wrote about the case here.

I use the Zagg screen protectors on my cameras, too, and they have been fine. None of my products are touch-screen, so I don't know now a Zagg screen protector will affect touch sensitivity.

ok, so my zagg shield got damaged beyond being usable. not sure how it happened, it sure looks like scratches, and is definitely permanent damage. now i'd make use of their lifetime warranty and get a replacement, but they make you pay for shipping. i've only been using it for a month, and for that i find $6 for something that should be free to be a little steep. so i guess i'm gonna look for alternatives.

Edited by dfx

I suppose the shipping is relative to your location. My 550 had to be returned to garmin after an update failure and then again when the replacement unit had issues. Both times Zagg stepped up and made good on their warranty. Two replacements in about three weeks and the shipping was only $3 each time.

The product is as good as any, lifetime replacement and reasonable cost. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Can I get some tips on how to properly install the shield?

I followed the instructions and I ended up with pockets of the liquid and whats looks like it got stuff between the shield and the screen. Not impressed with it.

I need to redo it and the question is how do I clean the glue side of the shield?

Edited by ZeMartelo

Yikes, I don't know. I have always been uber-careful and clean when installing Zagg on devices. I wash my hands well, never touch the adhesive side (I use an exacto knife to handle the "untouchable" shield after the backing is removed. I also liberally apply the spray to both screen and shield, then "lay" the shield down from one side to the other (with the exacto knife instead of my grubby fingers). I squeegee out as much of the excess spray as possible, and gently work out all I can with my fingers before the spray dissipates and the adhesive sets. There WILL be some small pockets under the screen, and it will look like crap at first, but it will all work out in the next day or so, and look great.

Yikes, I don't know. I have always been uber-careful and clean when installing Zagg on devices. I wash my hands well, never touch the adhesive side (I use an exacto knife to handle the "untouchable" shield after the backing is removed. I also liberally apply the spray to both screen and shield, then "lay" the shield down from one side to the other (with the exacto knife instead of my grubby fingers). I squeegee out as much of the excess spray as possible, and gently work out all I can with my fingers before the spray dissipates and the adhesive sets. There WILL be some small pockets under the screen, and it will look like crap at first, but it will all work out in the next day or so, and look great.

Can I get some tips on how to properly install the shield?

If you're installing it on a waterproof devise (handheld GPS, not a smartphone), fill a sink with water, and install it under water. It's pretty much impossible to get air bubbles that way.

If you can't do that, watch the video a few times. And be sure to get your fingers really wet with the liquid

I suppose the shipping is relative to your location. My 550 had to be returned to garmin after an update failure and then again when the replacement unit had issues. Both times Zagg stepped up and made good on their warranty. Two replacements in about three weeks and the shipping was only $3 each time.

yeah well, they also offer priority shipping for over $60. and that for something that was $15 originally, broke after only a month of use and now should be free. what a joke.