TB idea

Toast822

I've been doing some searches on this in various forums and on the travelbug page, and could not find any results, so I went ahead and placed it. It idea is:

Make a "mulitsession" CD-RW the travelbug and have people w/ CD-ROM burners add more software (freeware and shareware) or other interesting data.

In effect the travel bug becomes a wandering trackable cache.

I realize it requires some technical skill to make it work, but someone savy enough to make geocaching their hobby should have no problem with this...

icon_biggrin.gif

Has this been tried before?

Actually there are some variants out there. Some people have made an open CD-R allowing people to add their favorite tracks to it until it's full. Some people have just used standard cassettes.

I only see three problems with the CD-RW as a bug:

• Size: Many of the caches in which I've tried to put a CD just aren't big enough
  • Viruses: Wow. Sounds like a perfect opportunity for some malicious hacker to spread his viruses. Make sure you Anti-Virus scan that puppy before putting it in your CD on your computer.
  • MIA: Given the track records of most Travel Bugs, you're probably never going to see it again..

Otherwise - kinda cool. But it has been done to a limited extent.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers