Etiquette ref own hides

LaRocquette

I've noticed some users are logging their own hides, presumably to increase their numbers. Any etiquette on this? Seems like cheating to me

Only Find logs count towards the total. It's perfectly OK to log one's own cache with notes, maintenance notes, enable notes, etc.

Also, caches occasionally change hands. So it's possible (probable, actually), that a new owner had found a cache when it belonged to the previous owner. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I don't worry about what other people are doing or not doing.

If you are doing this to compete, and are willing to artificially inflate your numbers in this manner to be #1, then you have completely missed the point of geocaching, IMHO.

It's about getting out there with your family. It's about enjoying nature. It's about enjoying nature and finding-out how twisted / clever some hiders can be. :blink: After a while, the finding is incidental. It is the journey that becomes the whole point of the experience.

If people are doing this...how sad.

Here is a variation on this subject;

My parents have placed over a 100 caches over the last number of years and now that they are getting older they have adopted a number of them out to others that are closer and able to maintain them all year round.

It has been a year now and they are tired of seeing all these nearby unfound caches that they placed but are now owned by others.

Can they search, find, and log these as found, without it being considered lame?

Edited by Go Play Outside

My parents have placed over a 100 caches over the last number of years and now that they are getting older they have adopted a number of them out to others that are closer and able to maintain them all year round.

It has been a year now and they are tired of seeing all these nearby unfound caches that they placed but are now owned by others.

Can they search, find, and log these as found, without it being considered lame?

No.

No.

+1

How do you "find" it if you know where it is? It would be like hiding your car keys under the couch at night then telling your friends how you found your keys in the morning.

I think logging them would be pretty lame, but if they don't mind lame then they should go for it.

How do you "find" it if you know where it is? It would be like hiding your car keys under the couch at night then telling your friends how you found your keys in the morning.

I think logging them would be pretty lame, but if they don't mind lame then they should go for it.

Years ago, I started leaving $20 in seasonal jackets that I wouldn't wear for a while.

I promptly forgot about it, then got all happy and surprised when I found $20 bucks in a jacket I hadn't worn since last summer! YAY!

Until I remembered specifically doing it.

I still do it, though, cause finding $20 is finding $20 even if I did "spend it" before I "found it"...

In this case though, couldn't they log a note that, as the original CO, pre-adoption, they located the cache still in place?

Years ago, I started leaving $20 in seasonal jackets that I wouldn't wear for a while.

I promptly forgot about it, then got all happy and surprised when I found $20 bucks in a jacket I hadn't worn since last summer! YAY!

Until I remembered specifically doing it.

I still do it, though, cause finding $20 is finding $20 even if I did "spend it" before I "found it"...

In this case though, couldn't they log a note that, as the original CO, pre-adoption, they located the cache still in place?

Logging a note would be acceptable on any cache. But to claim a find on a cache that you hid is generally frowned upon, but not against any rule. That just means that while we would laugh at you for doing it nobody is going to revoke your cache hunting license over it.

No.

+1

I know it is annoying to see a list of caches on your near home list that you have not found for some reason. If they want to make them disappear just add them to their ignore list so they no longer appear when they ask for their cachers near to home.

Fair enough, the consensus seems to be NO to logging an adopted out cache to get them off the radar.

Eh. Who cares what the consensus is. If they want to log finds on the caches to clear them from the map, then go ahead. Doing so won't affect anyone who voted against the idea in this thread...or the rest of the geocaching universe, for that matter.

Fair enough, the consensus seems to be NO to logging an adopted out cache to get them off the radar.

Eh. Who cares what the consensus is. If they want to log finds on the caches to clear them from the map, then go ahead. Doing so won't affect anyone who voted against the idea in this thread...or the rest of the geocaching universe, for that matter.

There's a geocaching universe? Cool.....