Entering Coordinates Manually - Garmin GPS

habby3_2000

I'm a newbie at the Geocaching and the GPS device; however, I have only ever been using the coordinates that are automatically entered through the geocaching website. I'm attending an event tomorrow and they are going to be giving us the coordinates upon registration. Does anyone know how to enter this coordinates manually on a Garmin GPS - I believe its a 400 model.

Thank you, much appreciate any help!! :ph34r:

Edited by habby3_2000

On the OREGON 400 you would use the arrows to scroll your menu until you see the "Mark Waypoint" icon, then press it. If you are entering a new point just choose Save And Edit, then change the LOCATION and NAME and you will be good to go.

Also - if you have an Oregon model you can 'send wirelessly' so you can enter a few, an someone else with an Oregon or Dakota 20 do some of the others, then send to each other to round out the set :ph34r: (I mean while at the event of course - but you can send to other Oregon or Dakota 20 users any time as well).

Edited by Jeep4two

Just a tip I found out the hard way on the Garmin Oregon 400. If you use the Geocaching dashboard and enter a waypoint manually, the GPS will still point to the last selected geocache, not to the waypoint. I had to define a new profile just for waypointing. I switch between the two profiles, depending on whether I'm looking for a geocache or a waypoint.

I'm a newbie at the Geocaching and the GPS device; however, I have only ever been using the coordinates that are automatically entered through the geocaching website. I'm attending an event tomorrow and they are going to be giving us the coordinates upon registration. Does anyone know how to enter this coordinates manually on a Garmin GPS - I believe its a 400 model.

Thank you, much appreciate any help!! :rolleyes:

If you are attending an event, there should be several people there who will be glad to show you how to do it. One of the great things about events is the chance to exchange ideas and methods with others, as well as socializing. :anitongue: