2 Caches Missing!

i have 4 caches in a park, all have permits. They haven't been out very long and 2 are missing. i think it's an accident. The first one is a micro shell cache under a bench. The shell sort of stood out and is nice. i think maybe someone liked the shell and took it.

The second cache was a micro bison tube velcroed under a bench a mile away. The velrco didn't stick to the tube very well so i think it fell on the ground and was either washed away (heavy rain creates floods here) or it got thrown away or taken.

Any advice on how i can secure the micro bison tube under the bench other than velcro? It's very humid here and i don't think velcro will work. Or is there stronger velcro?

How about the shell cache? Was it too pretty? Should i get a metal cap instead? What are some thoughts on this missing cache?

Any insight would be great. i don't think it was an environmental person because 2 of the caches were fine and they are easy to find. We don't have many muggles because it's a quiet park with mostly retired people aged 60+. What tips for securing these caches and/or not getting them muggled and/or accidentaly trashed?

Thanks!

Shelter From The Storm

Sitting Quietly, Doing Nothing

The other 2 caches were regular size, one ammo can and one spice jar. Would micro hater have stolen the others? i doubt it but just a thought.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay
It's very humid here and i don't think velcro will work. Or is there stronger velcro?

I have picked up heavy-duty Velcro at my hardware store, that's specifically designed to stick to difficult surfaces, but I'm very hesitant to suggest doing something that quasi-permanent to a wooden bench.

Are there any metal parts of the benches at all? Bolts or anything like that?

It's very humid here and i don't think velcro will work. Or is there stronger velcro?

I have picked up heavy-duty Velcro at my hardware store, that's specifically designed to stick to difficult surfaces, but I'm very hesitant to suggest doing something that quasi-permanent to a wooden bench.

Are there any metal parts of the benches at all? Bolts or anything like that?

No bolts out in the open. It's all wooden. Ok, thanks. i will look into the heavy duty velcro. The one i used seemed ify.

i have 4 caches in a park, all have permits. They haven't been out very long and 2 are missing. i think it's an accident. The first one is a micro shell cache under a bench. The shell sort of stood out and is nice. i think maybe someone liked the shell and took it.

The second cache was a micro bison tube velcroed under a bench a mile away. The velrco didn't stick to the tube very well so i think it fell on the ground and was either washed away (heavy rain creates floods here) or it got thrown away or taken.

Animals will eat sea shells for the minerals. But I agree that someone probably took it (and watch out for lawn mowers and leaf blowers). If you could paint the shell slightly, so it better matches the surroundings, it may be less likely to walk away. Is there room to write "Official Geocache Game Piece, Please Do Not Disturb" on or under the shell?

For the bench one, if you secure a magnet to the bison tube, stick a thumbtack into the wood under the bench, and the magnet will stick to that. I've also noticed that leaving an "empty" piece of velcro somewhere can drive cachers nuts (thinking the container's gone), as a kind of misdirection. But don't tell anyone I said so. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

Put a lot of velcro on the bench, and a very small amount on the cache. The attachment of the velcro halves to each other is often stronger then of the glue side to a natural material like wood.

I gave up on velcro in Florida some years ago - though I did have a piece that was attached to smooth finished aluminum that never failed or moved. In fact, I could NOT remove it when I removed the cache.

Awesome! All great ideas and good tips! i put a huge piece of velcro on the bison tube. i noticed when i took it on and off that it kinda pulled off the tube. i'll look into all these ideas.

The shell idea is good too! My old shell was bright white and pink. i can paint the next one. Animal is good thought too there's rabbits, birds, alligators, bobcats and turtles in the area.

Cool, thanks guys!