Features, Yada yada yada.

Guest jeremy

Guest jeremy

Just so everyone knows, the Travel Bug will be integrated more and more into the site as the weeks go by. Some future stuff -

1. Track log. Not only will you see direction, distance travelled, time, etc, but you'll be able to download the track log of each well travelled Bug for mapping in your GPS application of choice.

2. Integration into Geocaching.com - You already see the bug on results pages (for those who have hidden them already), but I'll be adding a featured bug on the front page, and a link throughout the site. Right now it's hard to find unless you type it directly in.

3. Editing/Display features: You'll be able to do more maintainence of your bug through the site. There will also be more help info for people who are just getting started.

4. Geocoding for those without GPS units - I will be expanding Travel Bugs outside of Geocaches in case folks want to track the bugs during a trip across the country (or to other countries). If you don't have a GPS I'll do my best to help folks figure out coordinates (or do it for them).

Lots to do icon_smile.gif

Guest arffer

One more favor please Jeremy...

Since we can't yet edit logs, could you please delete both the test recent sightings logs on my bug TB8A?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 02 October 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

3. Editing/Display features: You'll be able to do more maintainence of your bug through the site. There will also be more help info for people who are just getting started.

Lots to do icon_smile.gif

Fantastic icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif This should go a long way towards solving logging problems and lost bugs. Keep up the good work and thanks for all the improvements.

PDOP's GPS Pages

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

1. Track log. Not only will you see direction, distance travelled, time, etc, but you'll be able to download the track log of each well travelled Bug for mapping in your GPS application of choice.

I realize that this is a very old message, but it made me wonder about something. Can we do what Jeremy suggested above? I don't know how to download a bug's track log and I think it would be cool. The only thing I know how to do is to download the current location of the bug into a LOC file.

Nope.

Like many of the early promised features, things kinda fell by the wayside when Geocaching.com exploded faster than anyone anticipated. Jeremy had all he could do just to keep the database and servers up and running on the cache pages. Wished-for enhancements to the Travel Bugs have taken a back burner.

With the server problems two weekends ago, and yesterday's problems, I presume Jeremy is just treading water to keep everything going. I'm betting that once the "new" site is up and running, he'll have more time to look into something like this.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Good deal on this upcoming update. I'm hoping there might be something where the original owner would show his TB with the 6 digit bug code. Reason for this is I had a TB taken hostage by the Pigman. Since he has been removed from geocaching, I could use the code to take it back out of his hands. I would use my copy tag, but mine is MIA due to relocation...at my fault).

Thanks for the work on all this. Your doing a great job Jeremy