Checking logs on caches you've found

uxorious

In another thread someone said they never go back and read logs other cachers have left on caches they have found.

I started caching in Jan. 2006, and have gone into the caches I have found to read what other's thought about them, almost every night. I really like reliving the cache experience through other's logs. Seeing how others like them, and what fun they had with caches I've enjoyed.

As the number of finds go up, I've had to start skimming to read logs on the caches that meant the most to me.

Is this just a flaw in me or do others enjoy going back and reliving caches through other's logs. If you do, is is an everyday thing or just once in a while.

I put caches that really mean something to me on watch. I'll follow the logs on those that way. Occasionally I check the logs of other caches we have found, but it's perhaps once a month or so. I often check logs on caches we have DNFed or have posted NM on.

\Mette

Reading other people's logs is what got me convinced to try this game called "geocaching". (And looking at the photos posted to cache pages.)

We have a few sentimental favourite caches and travel bugs, so we put them on our watchlist, and enjoy reading people's logs for them.

One cache in particular always gets a chuckle from finders, and it's fun to read their amusement.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I don't pore over every log on every cache, but yes, I read a lot of logs on caches I've found. I must say I'm often disappointed to find most people didn't enjoy a cache as much as I did, or at least they weren't compelled to say much about it. It's like when you find out you're the only one who loved a movie.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Absolutely! Not as often as you do, but I do. I have watches on some caches that I really enjoyed, but I also like to sometimes go back into my found caches list and check on some, some of which I found years ago. You may be odd, but you're not alone!

Add me to the list of watchers and occasional browsers.

At one time I would put every cache I found on my watch list so I could follow the logs of subsequent finders. After I had about 500 finds the emails startet getting out of hand.

I've slowly been removing all but the most interesting caches I've found from my watch list, but I do read those logs from time to time.

Edited by briansnat

I maintain a bookmark list of my all-time favorite cache finds, and have "Notify me when items on this list are logged." checked for the list. That way, i get e-mail copies of all logs entered for those caches. They're often fun to read, and bring back some great memories.

I reserve my Watch List for temporarily monitoring caches for various reasons.

--Larry

Besides keeping bookmarks of favorite caches and keeping those SPECIAL caches on permanent watchlist, whenever I go to a event or abroad I usually keep the local caches on watchlist for a week or two to get the hang of it: it the trackables I've left were taken properly, if I left the cache correctly replaced so the next cachers managed to get it and it was on good shape...

In another thread someone said they never go back and read logs other cachers have left on caches they have found.

I started caching in Jan. 2006, and have gone into the caches I have found to read what other's thought about them, almost every night. I really like reliving the cache experience through other's logs. Seeing how others like them, and what fun they had with caches I've enjoyed.

As the number of finds go up, I've had to start skimming to read logs on the caches that meant the most to me.

Is this just a flaw in me or do others enjoy going back and reliving caches through other's logs. If you do, is is an everyday thing or just once in a while.

I was almost going to comment on that statement in the other thread you are talking about. But I see there's no need now. Yes, I surf my most recent finds, going as far as a few months back, a couple times a week, to read about others experiences with the same caches. Especially since I generally don't do grab-n-go type caches that tend to get 5 word or less logs. If I'm really bored, I'll go back years and look at those finds too.

And for the occasions I just want to read my own logs going way back to the beginning, I just open up a myfinds PQ in the program cachestats. So you're not alone. I can't say how many of "us" there are out there, but I too was somewhat surprised at that un-named poster who said they never go back and look at caches they've found (and seemed to imply almost no one would see a note posted to a cache page they'd already found).

I like to go back and read logs too. At one time, I was as enthusiastic as you and read them about every day. Now, it's much more occasional. Also, now that I understand how Premium Member caches work, I try not to revisit those caches to read logs. I don't like the feeling of being watched. If there were a really great one of those, I might put it on the watch list instead.

but I too was somewhat surprised at that un-named poster who said they never go back and look at caches they've found (and seemed to imply almost no one would see a note posted to a cache page they'd already found).

I didn't say "never," I said "rarely." But think about the context of that other thread, too... do you think a "scorched earth" cacher who would do the math for a multi on a historical plaque with a marker is also going to get all nostalgic over reading logs left by subsequent finders?

I do sometimes go back and read logs on favorite caches. I do put especially interesting caches on my watch list. But I still don't think leaving a note on a cache page is a reliable way to get a message to a vandal.

It can be really encouraging to look back at DNFs. We had a rash of them recently and it really started to discourage us. But looking back on the logs I now see that several were actually missing (and subsequently replaced by the CO), and several others were DNFed by more people after us. One was 30 feet away from the coordinates and we were simply looking in the wrong spot.

On caches where another player found it right after we DNFed (sometimes the same day :ph34r: ), we know we'll learn something if we go back and try again. It's there, we just don't know how to look for it yet. That takes the uncertainty out of it, and it's always exciting to learn something new.

Edited by JJnTJ

Honestly, I look through my previously-found caches daily. If not more often. It's a good break from graduate school work... ;)

Besides, I like to write a story about my find--I never, ever say "TFTC!" Even for LPCs I try to write something original about the location or the find. For example, here's my log from a LPC earlier today:

"Cache #106. After 3 consecutive DNFs, I needed this.

Thanks!"

Anyway, I want to hear other cacher's experiences too. :blink:

The only one I tend to use is TNLN... otherwise at least a "nice hiding spot" or "rough hike" or something generic like that...

Occasionally I will look back at a few but the only ones I really watch close are the ones closest to my house. One specifically because there is no lid and the log keeps getting soaked or disappears (probably a bird or squirrel using it for a nest). I already contacted the owner and got a response saying he will be replacing the tube soon.