Comox Valley Trackables

TeamComox

Hi, Over the last while, most of the time I've visited a cache that has a trackable listed it is missing from the cache. Is this normal, or does it seem to you that there are a lot of MIA travel bugs in the valley? Just curious what other people were thinking.

Thanks,

Bruce Burgess: TeamComox

It seems to be the same just about everywhere. I suspect a lot of the problem stems from wide scale promotion of the sport in media and other, which invariably brings in the term 'TREASURE HUNT' at some point. This I fear brings out the 'finders keepers' point of view. Trackables, swag, even whole caches occasionally get taken home as 'booty'. I've helped recover a few items, but they keep on going astray.

The other side of the story seems to be how little of the 'guidelines' (rules) we try to espouse on behalf of GS and Geocaching gets through to the new cachers. A lot of things get lost or misplaced due to people not understanding just what they are looking at. Travel Bugs get started without activation, without logging into caches (dropping in), taken with no idea that they should be logged out (or at all for that matter). No idea how to retrieve them properly. I don't know how many times people discover them, and then take them home then can't drop them into another cache without coming over to the TB forum for help. and so on and so forth...

The best action is for local groups to tackle the education of newbies (and the odd experienced cacher) on a regular basis... If you take out a newcomer, make sure they get the basics firmly. Clubs can run 'how to' sessions as events or similar. Anyone is welcome to browse the TB and Coin sections... there are many good articles available on the Knowledge books and in the 'sticky' areas of the forums.

All you can do is try to be part of the solution... spread the word... and don't forget IF you find one missing, that after a reasonable logging time period... mention the fact that you didn't see xxx TB etc in the cache as part of your log... sometimes they just got picked up and not logged yet... you can add a note to the Trackable page as well... those two can let people know it isn't there... but be accurate...

Then it is up to the Trackable owner or the Cache owner to mark it to unknown location..

Doug 7rxc