Etiquette when running into other cachers while on a hunt

Cool Cow Cachers

Twice now we have come across other cachers while searching for a cache. What is the proper etiquette in this situation? One time we already had the cache in hand when they arrived but the last time I found it while we were all searching. Is it cool to just make the grab and then everyone sign the log? Maybe it is better to show the others where it is first and then grab it. Does it even matter? What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Twice now we have come across other cachers while searching for a cache. What is the proper etiquette in this situation? One time we already had the cache in hand when they arrived but the last time I found it while we were all searching. Is it cool to just make the grab and then everyone sign the log? Maybe it is better to show the others where it is first and then grab it. Does it even matter? What are everyone's thoughts on this?

It depends on both sets of cachers. Some people want to search together, and some don't. One of my best caching experiences was a group FTF. We were there first, and some other cachers came up and joined the hunt. Afterwards we hung out for a few and enjoyed some good stories.

Ask how they want to handle it if you find it first. Some may prefer to find it themselves, and some don't care.

What some people do is as they find the cache, they walk away and then declare they found it and let the others continue the hunt. Only once everybody has found it is the cache taken out and signed.

Others will just gather around and sign when one person finds it. It's simply a matter of personal preference.

Always best to let the finder replace the cache where it was found.

Makes sure it goes back in the correct place!

Well, part of the "fun" is finding the cache, so if possible I would try not to reveal the cache location to other cachers, or inadvertently have them show me where it is.

Building upon that premise, the solution seems clear. But for me it would be hard to resist wanting to at least say hello and swap caching stories.

But not everyone wants to chat or be chatted with. :ph34r:

Well, part of the "fun" is finding the cache, so if possible I would try not to reveal the cache location to other cachers, or inadvertently have them show me where it is.

Building upon that premise, the solution seems clear. But for me it would be hard to resist wanting to at least say hello and swap caching stories.

But not everyone wants to chat or be chatted with. :ph34r:

This is why its best to ask. To me, the fun part is never the search so I have no problem in just signing the log and saying hello. If it is an easy find, I don't see any particular need to discover it myself, and if it is a hard find I would consider it to be just like I was caching in a group where everyone signs the log after the cache is found.

But yes, I always at least introduce myself. My daughter's mountain bike racing team was taught to have the "howdy spirit" and its a good principle to apply to a number of situations.

I've come across people caching a number of times.

They usually say, "Do you want to turn around so we can put it back or do you want to sign it?"

I usually wait until they have put it back so I can find it, unless unusual circumstances, like where one was so big it didn't matter if they re-hid it or not. Once you got near it was found.

Or another situation where my sister was picking me up after a caching run of mine. She was waiting on the other side of the bridge the cache was hid at. I couldn't wait for the whole family (3 kids) to go through the swag and replace and go away, to find the cache.

I always like chatting with other cachers. I usually find them very friendly.

What NOT to do:

I know one person who was signing the cache nearby when some other cachers came by searching.

This person put the cache in her pocket and pretended she was a muggle.

After the cachers were gone she put it back.

I have no idea why she did that.

I guess she was trying to be stealthy. She's new at the game, and I guess didn't realize you don't have to be stealthy with people who know about the game.

Not a very friendly way to play the game.

Edited by Sol seaker

I usually issue a challenge to someone who seems to be searching...

I ask "Does the term 'Muggle' mean anything to you?"

If they answer pertaining to Harry Potter or don't know, then I know I need to be stealthy. Otherwise, I go about finding or whatever it is that I am doing at that moment.

I have only done group signing with other cachers, but sometimes my family team would like to see if they can find it too.

I have run into cachers at several occations and think what to do is up to the latter cachers to arrive.

At one occation we arrived at a cache that we really wanted to find ourselves, but another team was searching and we left before we could see where the cache was placed.

At a different occation we arrived at a cache and started searching at the same time. As some people found it they stood back and let the others find it on their own.

To me it is all about what level of satisfaction the latter to arrive want and how much they want to find it on their own. No-one is cheated of anything regardless of how it is done (except the joy of finding it on their own).

Usually if there is no tell-tale sign they are a geocacher, like a GPS, I assume they are muggle until proven otherwise by actions or words.

That is pretty much how I would handle it. Luckily I live in a small town with plenty of caches in the woods so the chance of running across someone is rare at many of them

Depends on the situation...

At an event, 4 "groups" ended up hunting 3 caches together, there whoever made the visual would step a few steps away and smile while the others searched... especially since a youngling was with the group and it's always nice to let them make the actual "find".

At 3 other times I have met a cacher at/en-route to a cache. All times it was fairly obvious what they were up to either from the GPS in hand, or the way they were poking into the bush/tree right at GZ. All 3 times it became an introduction/chat and retrieval of the cache in a joint effort, and another chat on the way out after the find before going our separate ways.

I usually hope no one else will be caching, because I'm a shy sort of person with new people, but I have to admit there was a DNF on the weekend where I was thinking "If I sit here and wait, maybe someone else will come looking and I can get some help!"

I don't know what I will do when I eventually meet another cacher. Blush and mumble, presumably!

There was one time I ran across the CO at a cache.

He and a friend were coming up the trail while i was looking,when i was searching i heard voices and backed away from GZ(not knowing if muggle...)when they came closer they said "hi" i replied,he saw my gps and asked"have i found it ?" i said "not yet" and he told me who he was.i gave my caching name and and we swapped phone#s if i needed a hint,or just advice on other caches.

but when i was parking earlier,i saw a van with the CO's caching name on the plate,TB decal on back,And various geocaching decals.So i should have guessed i would have seen him somewhere. :D