Defacing Plaque marking Gravesite

42at42

I ws out with our Scout Troup last night and we visited an old gravesite. The graves have moved but the site is marked with a historical plaque. The plaque contains information to finish a multi. When we got there one of the Scouts said "hey look, there something about a geocache here"

I check out the plaque and sure enough there was the calculations for the puzzle written on the plaque. Icouldn't believe someone could be so rude.

I emailed the last few finder and DNF's to see if the writing was there when they did the puzzle. All said no. I then posted a note to the cache.

GC29KKK

Some very rude, ignorant person, with no class whatsoever decided to deface the plaque and used a marker to do the math on the face of it.

Would you write on a grave marker? Maybe you would prefer to write on someone's coffin. This is as bad as defacing a grave.

Have a little class and go back to the plaque and clean it.

It is totally disgraceful and really puts a black-eye on geocachers.

I visited the site with a group of Boy Scouts. I was unable to explain why someone would do this.

I will probably go back and clean it myself. Things like that disgust me.

Edited by 42at42

Good on you for going back to clean it up.

But not-so-good on you for posting a rant on the cache page. It seems very unlikely that the person who defaced the marker will see your note. (I rarely go back to look at the logs that I have previously found. Do you?)

I understand your anger and frustration, though.

Would you write on a grave marker? Maybe you would prefer to write on someone's coffin. This is as bad as defacing a grave.

I don't understand why some one would do that. But people some times do really stupid callous things without thinking.

I'm glad you cleaned it up. That was a great lesson for your Scouts. (Can you say Eagle project idea).

OT, but my mother did actually write on my neice's coffin. She passed away rather young and it seemed appropriate to leave last messages with her. My Grandmother was a bit surprised but in the end decided it was okay.

I will probably go back and clean it myself. Things like that disgust me.

Thank you for doing that, if you do. It may be that the marker is on BLM land, and the BLM would conceivably come out and clean it up if you report it.

That would probably not be the best idea. Why let the BLM know that a geocacher did something like that, and then ask them to go out and clean it up?

Thanks for your concern, 42at42, and thanks to you or the cache owner or whoever does take the time to fix up someone else's wrong.

Good on you for going back to clean it up.

But not-so-good on you for posting a rant on the cache page. It seems very unlikely that the person who defaced the marker will see your note. (I rarely go back to look at the logs that I have previously found. Do you?)

I understand your anger and frustration, though.

A little off topic, but I started caching in 2006, and from the start I have gone to my finds almost every night to see who has found one of them and what they thought of it. :unsure:

As the number of finds increases it takes a lot more time. I have gotten to were I usually just skim to read the logs on caches that were better and/or more unusual. But I still spend a quarter hour or more every night reading the new logs on caches I have found. I love reliving the caches through other's experience. :unsure:

OT, but my mother did actually write on my neice's coffin. She passed away rather young and it seemed appropriate to leave last messages with her. My Grandmother was a bit surprised but in the end decided it was okay.

To continue OT, my Mom's cousin was saying he wants a plain unfinished coffin. All the visitors are invited to write a message. After visitation it will be clear coated and buried.

I love the idea, we'll see if it happens. I hope it will be a long time before I find out. He is a really funny guy.

Back on topic, I had nothing to clean it with, I know... Be Prepared. But I will get back there with some cleaning items.

To continue OT, my Mom's cousin was saying he wants a plain unfinished coffin. All the visitors are invited to write a message. After visitation it will be clear coated and buried.

I love the idea, we'll see if it happens. I hope it will be a long time before I find out. He is a really funny guy.

Back on topic, I had nothing to clean it with, I know... Be Prepared. But I will get back there with some cleaning items.

Rubbing alcohol.

Edit to add that a good scout should have that in his first aid kit. :unsure:

Edited by GOF & Bacall

Pine box here, she was cremated (sp?) so it wasn't a lasting thing. And my mother was the one to pay for it so.... well it was kind of her choice to allow it (although the funeral home provided the markers... :unsure: ).

To be sort of on topic I'm thinking about buying a coffin to use as a cache. But it will have to wait until I've got the space for a cache like that.

Good for you for posting a rant on the cache page! The geocaching community needs to know when outrages are committed in our area by our fellows. Discuss this among yourselves.

Good for you for posting a rant on the cache page! The geocaching community needs to know when outrages are committed in our area by our fellows. Discuss this among yourselves.

TPTB take a dim view of turning cache pages into forums.

Normally I don't complain about things other hiders (cache not in a good spot, etc.) and seekers (leaving cache far too exposed, etc.) do when I log a cache because I don't want to spoil other people's fun- and chances are I've probably done the same. Although not always good most things can be overlooked. The only time I openly complained was at a small family cemetery where someone had taken a broken grave stone and placed it over the cache to hide it (it was slate and crumbled easily). Totally inappropriate! I don't know if the hider or a finder left it like that, but I wanted to make sure anyone else who came there didn't use that stone in such a disrespectful manner. So I moved the cache and told people in my log to cease and desist from doing that. You think people would know better.

TPTB take a dim view of turning cache pages into forums.

At what point does a rant reporting a situation become a discussion forum?

Rubbing alcohol.

Edit to add that a good scout should have that in his first aid kit. :ph34r:

Hand sanitizer works as well to remove permanent marker

Rubbing alcohol.

Edit to add that a good scout should have that in his first aid kit. :D

"Rubbing alcohol"can refer to either ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol.

Most hand sanitizers are ethyl alcohol.

So you're both saying pretty much the same thing :ph34r:

Rubbing alcohol.

Edit to add that a good scout should have that in his first aid kit. :(

So you're both saying pretty much the same thing :D

Hehehe, just remember I said it first. I win! :ph34r:

You have to watch what you use it on, but I've found OFF! bug spray handy to use on indelible marker graffiti.

Definitely do a test patch, and you can spray it on a rag... rinse well after with water (spray bottle works).

Had a female teen tag one of the restrooms at the campground a few years back... she left and came back with friends to show them... I was cleaning and used that technique and it was all gone before they came back.

I did overestimate a bit... the marker was fairly new after all... I did remove the top layer of paint on the test patch. NEVER have tried it on a metal plaque, so I can't say other than test a small bit first. You might have to clean the whole thing to have it match... and might have to do some refinishing as well, but a bronze plaque will weather quickly anyway. Cotton swabs might work if sprayed... large areas spray directly... after testing though!

Not sure about other brands either, but DEET will dissolve just about anything, ask my bike brake hoods after a run in with Muskol.

Doug 7rxc

You have to watch what you use it on, but I've found OFF! bug spray handy to use on indelible marker graffiti.

Definitely do a test patch, and you can spray it on a rag... rinse well after with water (spray bottle works).

Had a female teen tag one of the restrooms at the campground a few years back... she left and came back with friends to show them... I was cleaning and used that technique and it was all gone before they came back.

I did overestimate a bit... the marker was fairly new after all... I did remove the top layer of paint on the test patch. NEVER have tried it on a metal plaque, so I can't say other than test a small bit first. You might have to clean the whole thing to have it match... and might have to do some refinishing as well, but a bronze plaque will weather quickly anyway. Cotton swabs might work if sprayed... large areas spray directly... after testing though!

Not sure about other brands either, but DEET will dissolve just about anything, ask my bike brake hoods after a run in with Muskol.

Doug 7rxc

I'd give the alcohol a try first. I think it is less likely to damage the finish. Bet certainly, test it in an inconspicuous area first.

There are many things that might be preferable for sure... I guess I was thinking of stuff that might be available in a good Scout kit. As per the rubbing alcohol suggestion... just a whole lot stronger.

And yes, the TEST IT carefully is good advice to follow regardless of what you use. It isn't always a problem with a given cleaner, but an inherent weakness in whatever you are attempting to clean. Most important to protect the subject of the cleaning... I haven't seen the item so I don't know. I can think of a few plaques where a coat of paint and then cleaning (sanding lightly) the high points to highlight would work. More information might help, but it really is their problem, isn't it... Sad that some would do it in the first place. Wonder if someone has tried plain water... some of those pens are water soluble inks... like white board pens...

Doug 7rxc

Rubbing alcohol.

Edit to add that a good scout should have that in his first aid kit. ;)

So you're both saying pretty much the same thing :blink:

Yes, I know, but many people do not realize that. Many people carry hand sanitizer but not rubbing alcohol. I used it once when I had to remove sharpie marker from a petri plate in the lab and I didn't have ethanol on hand.

I check out the plaque and sure enough there was the calculations for the puzzle written on the plaque. Icouldn't believe someone could be so rude.

I must admit that after 4½ years in geocaching I'am not surprised by this bad behavior :D

Too many geocachers don't care about anything else than getting the cache.

Thanks for taking care.

Goo Gone works great for removing lots of kinds of marks (it's also good for taking gum out of hair and removing sticker residue). Barkeepers Friend is a very mild abrasive that was designed for cleaning drinkwear and I use it on many kinds of surfaces, from my stainless steel sink to the bathtubs with a plastic scrubber. You would need water with Barkeepers Friend, though, so that might be out if it's an issue.

Edited by madmomma72

It is quite ironic. This area was headlined in the paper with a picture of the plaque. You can see the chicken scratch on the top of the plaque. The author doesn't make note of this.

I will go there will a variety of cleaning products and start with the mildest.

It is quite ironic. This area was headlined in the paper with a picture of the plaque. You can see the chicken scratch on the top of the plaque. The author doesn't make note of this.

The St. Catharines paper? Today? Got a link?

This is one of the worst examples of bad cachers yet! If the culprit happens to be reading this... WATCH OUT FOR KARMA DOOD!!! Is all I can say...

Thanks for bringing this topic to the forum and acting appropriately 42! You're an awesome example of how the majority of us cachers really are :D

The St. Catharines paper? Today? Got a link?

No it is in the Q&A section, but here is a link to the article when the ceremony took place.

CEREMONY

I had found another article on the original dedication...

Article

Made a image of what I take to be the subject plaque.

mcbplq.jpg

That one looks to be a multi layer laminated item... possibly acrylic or lexan covered... I don't think that was the photo referred to by 42 though. I read in the St Catherine paper website that it looks like city is going to spruce the site up... in 2011 including a new iron fence...

Doug 7rxc

I had found another article on the original dedication...

Article

That one looks to be a multi layer laminated item... possibly acrylic or lexan covered... I don't think that was the photo referred to by 42 though. I read in the St Catherine paper website that it looks like city is going to spruce the site up... in 2011 including a new iron fence...

Doug 7rxc

That was great. Thanks for adding that photo and link.

Here is the article from The Standard.

McCombs001.jpg