GC.com logs to the NGS database

Do finds of NGS (and other) benchmarks that we record in geocaching.com's database....or Waymarking.com's database ever make it to the NSRS database that's mentioned in the letter?

The long answer - No.

The short answer - Since the NGS (division of NOAA) is a gov't entity, they don't have the time or resources to copy our recoveries and put them into their system. On top of that, many, MANY of the 'found' recoveries here are incorrect, and for the ones that ARE correct, they're unprofessional. :/

Many of the benchmarks that are logged on GC.com also get logged with the NGS. The person who "recovers" the benchmark on GC.com also logs it with the NGS, but the NGS does not search the GC database for recoveries. The NGS has different standards for submitting recoveries to their database than what GC.com uses. Different, not right or wrong, just different.

I don't believe that the number of wrong recoveries is as bad as some folks believe. With the number of recoveries done on GC there are bound to be errors, but overall that number is not very high.

I don't understand the "unprofessional" remark since GC.com is for the common folk to have fun finding and logging their finds on both GC.com and Waymarking.com. It is not intended to be for "professionals"

Others here can fill in the details for logging with the NGS if you wish to learn what is required.

Have fun and go find some more benchmarks.

John

I don't understand the "unprofessional" remark since GC.com is for the common folk to have fun finding and logging their finds on both GC.com and Waymarking.com. It is not intended to be for "professionals"

Not sure why you started a new thread, but I was referring to the fact that the recoveries on here were too 'unprofessional' for the only NGS database. Not that they were unprofessional for GC.com. :ph34r:

I thought it better to start a new thread than to continue a discussion that didn't seem to fit the topic of the OP.

You clearly stated - Quote "On top of that, many, MANY of the 'found' recoveries here are incorrect, and for the ones that ARE correct, they're unprofessional. :/" Unquote. Color added.

Perhaps you would care to explain the proper way to log recoveries with the NGS to help guide those that are interested in doing so. This forum was intended to cover the NGS and its procedures, so how about some guidance for those that ready to start logging with the NGS. We (the 2oldfarts) don't have the experience or interest in logging with the NGS, so someone else will have to take the lead in offering the step by step guidance some folks are looking for.

John

I'm not sure if this is exactly what he meant, but I wouldn't want my GC.com logs automatically submitted either as they're not written in a formal manner. I wouldn't submit a report to the NGS saying the weather was nice, or the mosquitoes were horrible, or whatever, but I'd not have a problem saying that on the GC.com log.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what he meant, but I wouldn't want my GC.com logs automatically submitted either as they're not written in a formal manner. I wouldn't submit a report to the NGS saying the weather was nice, or the mosquitoes were horrible, or whatever, but I'd not have a problem saying that on the GC.com log.

I thought it better to start a new thread than to continue a discussion that didn't seem to fit the topic of the OP.

You clearly stated - Quote "On top of that, many, MANY of the 'found' recoveries here are incorrect, and for the ones that ARE correct, they're unprofessional. :/" Unquote. Color added.

Perhaps you would care to explain the proper way to log recoveries with the NGS to help guide those that are interested in doing so. This forum was intended to cover the NGS and its procedures, so how about some guidance for those that ready to start logging with the NGS. We (the 2oldfarts) don't have the experience or interest in logging with the NGS, so someone else will have to take the lead in offering the step by step guidance some folks are looking for.

Hey John,

Yeah, I know what I said, and I clarified it in my first reply. :ph34r: In my last post to the original thread ('welcome letter'), I referred to this thread - which IMHO pretty much covers the 'general consensus' on submitting reports. On top of that, the 'official guidelines' have been posted by user NGS Surveyor, the latest post is here.

And to put my comment to rest forever, the comment:

and for the ones that ARE correct, they're unprofessional

was meant to have said:

and for the ones that ARE correct, they're too unprofessional for an NSRS recovery note.

Frankly, I couldn't care less how they're written up here. :D Folks here can be about as unprofessional as they want. Mainly cuz, there IS no 'professional'. I don't even care about incorrect recoveries like others here - mainly because I use logs here very, very infrequently - most of my data comes from NGS recoveries.

Cheers,

Mike.