Stalled Travel Bugs ?

tdjvolks

At what point did you consider it stalled?

June 26 doesnt sound too long. If it were mine I would like to see it move faster too but maybe they are waiting to take it on vacation?

good luck -

- Dwight Sullivan

- Dwight Sullivan

"Reality is the fantasy of the majority."

I have several that have stalled for months. One was picked up on someone's first cache, and they never went caching again.

Not much you can do. Every month or so, I do an check on where they are, and send gentle reminders to those that have been caching but have not dropped the bug off that I'd appreciate them moving it along. Sometimes they forget they have the TB in the bottom of a pack somewhere in a closet.

I had one TB that the guy forgot to log. In fact he created a cache while in French Polynesia and forgot to log the cache when he got home. After several e-mails he perked up and logged both. Turns out the travel bug moved 6000 miles. A week later someone actually grabbed it. TBs are funny that way.

GeoNav icon_cool.gif

So many caches, so little time! The forest awaits!

Well I just got an email from the guy that has it. he said he has been away for awhile and will log it in a cache soon. It was good to here from him and I hope he dose what he said. I'll still wait and see. Thanks for the advise.

quote:
Originally posted by tdjvolks:

Our Travel bug has stalled, one person has it and hasen't loged it since June 26 03. We have sent 2 emails asking about it with no reply. Any advice on this would help, or should we give up on it? Thanks...

I've been so busy since school started back and I havent had the chance to go caching and drop a TB off. Next weekend there is a geocaching breakfast and a NTGA meeting - would it be OK to give the TB to some one else to take to a cache? The meetings have a cache page, so it wouldnt be a problem to "leave the TB" at the bottom of the page. I just want to make sure that they get taken to a cache soon- I've been sitting on the TB a while it seems!

Why take life so seriously...it's not like you're going to get out of it alive!

It's good to hear other's experiences in this regard. I placed a bug in Washinton State on Memorial Day weekend. It moved a total of 7 miles and has been stalled since mid June. I sent a gentle inquiry and was told they had been busy and would place it shortly. It's been a couple of weeks, but I'll try to be patient for a little longer (since there's not much I can do anyway)....

bryan

STILL WAITING!!!8/13/03 icon_mad.gif

quote:

Well I just got an email from the guy that has it. he said he has been away for awhile and will log it in a cache soon. It was good to here from him and I hope he dose what he said. I'll still wait and see. Thanks for the advise.

quote:

Our Travel bug has stalled, one person has it and hasen't loged it since June 26 03. We have sent 2 emails asking about it with no reply. Any advice on this would help, or should we give up on it? Thanks...

Well, since you've posted your travel bug's secret code number here in the forums, I suppose ANYBODY could do you a favor and move it along to another cache.

(Hint: Edit your post!)

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

I feel your pain tdjvolks...

I have a TB that the cacher (Newbie at the time) picked it up April 04, 2003 and luckly he logged it so I know who has it. I've E-mailed him and he did reply once stating he has been busy but he that he did still have it. The TB has yet to be back on it's travels.

All you can do is hope they do the right thing and keep it going on its travles.

BTW: His log said: "We took a detour to Athens to get this one. Will be in Alabama soon."

"Soon"!?!? Uhh I think not.

64784_1200.gifBeen there... Done that...

Thanks for the hint icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Well, since you've posted your travel bug's secret code number here in the forums, I suppose ANYBODY could do you a favor and move it along to another cache.

(Hint: Edit your post!)

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

My bug was abducted from its second cache by people without a geocaching login. They mentioned 'kidnapping' it in the log book. A month later, by some miracle, they actually created a login and logged that they'd picked up the bug. Then, they dropped it off without logging the cache where they left it -- another team found it a month later in a different cache. After that, things went more smoothly (by 'smoothly' I mean 'people only held it a month or two').

Until March. March 30th, the bug was picked up (indeed, the cacher who picked it up left his OWN bug in its place. Yes, he owns a bug, so he ought to know what it's like). In April, he went caching, dropping off ANOTHER bug of his own, but not mine. Finally, in June, after he logged some more caches without dropping off my bug, I emailed him. Oh yeah, he said, he was going to put the bug in his caching bag right now.

He hasn't logged a cache since. My bug has been in his possession for over five months. I can't believe someone who owns travel bugs could be so unreasonable. He didn't say there was any reason it hadn't been dropped off, in June -- just that he'd been forgetting to do it. I'd email him again, but I don't think I can make somebody go geocaching if they don't want to. I'm considering offering to send him a SASE, though it would be a rather humiliating end to the bug's journey.

After watching the travels of bugs we've picked up and dropped off, frankly, I'm pretty discouraged about Travel Bugs in general. In our first year of caching, I was all excited about them, and planned to buy a bunch more. But at $5 a pop, plus the cost of whatever item's attached to them, it's not seeming worth it right now. I don't care if my bug goes 700 miles off course or gets put in a travel bug prison or something -- I'd just like to see it OUT THERE. Nobody took any pictures of the bug during its travels, half of them didn't log it properly, and it's been sitting in one guy's possession for longer than it was traveling before that. Yeah, lots of fun. Grr.

(And yeah, we included a nice explanatory tag about the bug's goal and how to log him. It didn't help.)