Primer for altoids tins?

DannyCaffeine

How can I make sure my altoids tins keep from rusting shut? I have found a few in the wild that were so rusty they were hard to open.

So ..... you have found them in the wild and you KNOW they rust and let in water

Yet you still wanna put more of the same out there.

They're bad containers for caches and should be chucked in the trash.

Splash out a $/£/? whatever you use and buy something that at least pretends to be waterproof.

How can I make sure my altoids tins keep from rusting shut?
Leave it open, so it rusts open?

The only advantage small tins like that have is that they are essentially free (assuming you buy the mints anyway), so they are easy to replace when they rust. Good micro-size containers aren't that expensive. Waterproof match cases cost only $1. If you need a flat rectangular container, then magnetic key cases (all plastic, except for the magnets) are just a few dollars. The magnetic key cases still leak, but at least they don't rust the way small tins do.

How can I make sure my altoids tins keep from rusting shut?
Leave it open, so it rusts open?

The only advantage small tins like that have is that they are essentially free (assuming you buy the mints anyway), so they are easy to replace when they rust. Good micro-size containers aren't that expensive. Waterproof match cases cost only $1. If you need a flat rectangular container, then magnetic key cases (all plastic, except for the magnets) are just a few dollars. The magnetic key cases still leak, but at least they don't rust the way small tins do.

I'm an Altoids addict. I do user support and often have to interact with people close up. I've been stuck with other people's bad breath so many times that I'm paranoid about my own breath so I always have Altoids in my pocket. I've tossed about a zillion Altoids tins in the trash (also donated a box full of them to a day care for a project they were doing). I've never used an Altoids tin for a cache container. I've found a number of them and also tins from other mints. EVERY ONE of the ones I've found has been a gross mess of rust and nasty, moldy logs.

Just say no to Altoids tins as cache containers.

Check the local dollar stores. They have small round lock n locks (and some have kits that have large, med, small and very small sizes in one box) for low low cost. I don't see many sized as small as altoids tins, but the .75 quart size round ones that I've used hold up well and cost - - - well - - - $1

The little kits are a little more but I found a kit at an Aldi (small grocery store) for $5.00 that had 3 different sizes in it and the smallest makes for a very small container (but still not micro).

Check the local dollar stores. They have small round lock n locks (and some have kits that have large, med, small and very small sizes in one box) for low low cost. I don't see many sized as small as altoids tins, but the .75 quart size round ones that I've used hold up well and cost - - - well - - - $1

The little kits are a little more but I found a kit at an Aldi (small grocery store) for $5.00 that had 3 different sizes in it and the smallest makes for a very small container (but still not micro).

Not all "lock n lock" containers actually are lock n lock brand. Not all of them are water proof.

Please test the container before you put it out.

The hide-a-keys ae not water proof, either.

Stainless steel tins are too expensive. I use altoids tins for caches that typically are protected from the elements. For future caches, I have thought about using:

http://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/waterproofing-products/waterproofers/clear-multi-surface-waterproofer-aerosol

and then adding a little pack of silica gel inside.

Don't believe all that you read. The spray stuff will make it water resistant but not water proof. That isn't going to keep an altoids tin from rusting, and the silica gel isn't going to do a bit of good as the tin isn't air tight.