Earthcache Geocoins-Geology-EarthCaching

DragonflyTotem

Yes, I know that this topic has come up before (like when the coins were about to become available and while they were available) but thought that this might be good way/place to have a general conversation about how nice it would be to be able to obtain Earthcache Geocoins again, and how much we learn about geology by having those coins. I'd contacted GSA and was told that there were no immediate plans to get more made. So I'm thinking that enough discussion here might result in renewed interest in having more made. And to keep this conversation here (rather than getting lost in the Geocoin area) I thought that I'd comment on what I've learned about geology and Earthcaching by looking at pictures of the coins on the GSA site: subduction zones are very interesting; and "Sharkz" isn't a geological term. :unsure:

Anyone else?

They have this in the Shop Groundspeak:

earthcachecoin_500.jpg

Official Earthcache Geocoin

I don't believe that the OP is referring to the above coin. There is nothing to be learned regarding geology from that generic coin. I believe he is talking about the four "Master" level coins, of which each has a geology lesson.

Are these the coins which will not be reproduced? If so, too bad for earthcaching.

I don't believe that the OP is referring to the above coin. There is nothing to be learned regarding geology from that generic coin. I believe he is talking about the four "Master" level coins, of which each has a geology lesson.

Are these the coins which will not be reproduced? If so, too bad for earthcaching.

I kind of figured that was the case. Just trying to point out some alternatives. A pale comparison of the GSA Coins, I would definitely have to agree.

My other suggestion would be to contact the Groundspeak shop or to post the suggestion on Uservoice to see if there's enough support for Groundspeak to finance a new minting of the GSA Coin (assuming the GSA would allow it.)

I agree the GSA versions were excellent :unsure:

I kind of figured that was the case. Just trying to point out some alternatives. A pale comparison of the GSA Coins, I would definitely have to agree.

My other suggestion would be to contact the Groundspeak shop or to post the suggestion on Uservoice to see if there's enough support for Groundspeak to finance a new minting of the GSA Coin (assuming the GSA would allow it.)

I agree the GSA versions were excellent :unsure:

How long have they been not available? We should hope that Geoaware checks these topics. As always I am willing to spend alittle to keep this alive. I see some of the other items that are on the Earthcache.org site is not available. I think they should add more to the store.. I guess you could say some of the same type of stuff on the Geocaching.com website.

Hopefully they will bring these coins back. They looked pretty cool from the pictures.

PaneledZero :unsure:

Yes, was definitely referring to the ones that were previously sold on the GSA site. I do like and have several of the GS coins, but do still want the ones that match the EC Master levels.

I don't know for sure how long since they were available, just know that I first checked on them several months ago and when I saw they were no longer available asked GSA about them then as was told that there were no immediate plans to have more made.

I am happy to announce that the EarthCache Masters coins are currently being re-minted and we should have stock for sale within a few weeks.

Also, for those who follow EarthTrek, a special EarthTrek geocoin is being minted and will be for sale soon as well!

That is fantastic news Gary!!!! I can't wait to be able to place my order!

I am happy to announce that the EarthCache Masters coins are currently being re-minted and we should have stock for sale within a few weeks.

Also, for those who follow EarthTrek, a special EarthTrek geocoin is being minted and will be for sale soon as well!

Great! I missed out on the first ones, I did not find about them in time. I wanted the collector set. Glad to know about the Earth Trek geocoin, I want one of those too. Yes, we sneaked on board EarthTrek under a different user name... my son and I really enjoy the site.

I did get one of the Groundspeak EarthCache geocoins, they are nice geocoins. :ph34r: I dip it in all my EC's to keep a record of our finds.

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters