10-10-10

It was in the Groundspeak newsletter last week:

We want to see how many geocachers can go geocaching on a single day! We’ve chosen 10-10-10, since the date represents 10 years of geocaching and 10 years of Groundspeak in 2010. Bring your friends, bring your family, bring your worst enemy (if that’s what it takes) and let’s see if we can beat the previous record of 56,654 accounts logging on April 18, 2010. Even one log counts since we are counting how many accounts log a cache rather than the number of caches logged.

It was in the Groundspeak newsletter last week:

We want to see how many geocachers can go geocaching on a single day! We’ve chosen 10-10-10, since the date represents 10 years of geocaching and 10 years of Groundspeak in 2010. Bring your friends, bring your family, bring your worst enemy (if thats what it takes) and let’s see if we can beat the previous record of 56,654 accounts logging on April 18, 2010. Even one log counts since we are counting how many accounts log a cache rather than the number of caches logged.

One salient point the OP seems to have missed is that the goal of Groundspeak is not for a single person to find as many caches as they can, but to get as many cachers out in the field as possible. i.e. its better for Groundspeaks goal for you you and 10 of your friends to go hunt a single cache and log them individually than it is for you to go find 11 caches yourself on a solo run. You as an individual are, as always, more than welcome to do whatever you want to celebrate the day :unsure:

Hrm. . . I'm looking at the weekly newsletter, and don't see anything about 10-10-10. Are we talking about the email newsletter? For which date?

I'm sure it'll turn out to be obvious, but. . .

I'm curious b/c in one of the incarnations of the feedback site, Jeremy had said that there was something special (but not an Icon) that each cacher who cached on that day would get. Is there more info on this?

Hrm. . . I'm looking at the weekly newsletter, and don't see anything about 10-10-10. Are we talking about the email newsletter? For which date?

I'm sure it'll turn out to be obvious, but. . .

I'm curious b/c in one of the incarnations of the feedback site, Jeremy had said that there was something special (but not an Icon) that each cacher who cached on that day would get. Is there more info on this?

It was in the newsletter of September 23rd, not last week as I previously posted. Sorry.

Don't recall any mention about something special, just the part that I quoted in my post above:

We want to see how many geocachers can go geocaching on a single day! We’ve chosen 10-10-10, since the date represents 10 years of geocaching and 10 years of Groundspeak in 2010. Bring your friends, bring your family, bring your worst enemy (if that’s what it takes) and let’s see if we can beat the previous record of 56,654 accounts logging on April 18, 2010. Even one log counts since we are counting how many accounts log a cache rather than the number of caches logged.