Increasing number of Geocoins

DemonStormXL

Unfortunately, in the Bakersfield area, an increasing number of Geocoins and other trackables are coming up missing from caches they're reported to be in. I understand that to some extent they're collectibles, but geez, come on folks.

As an example, I went about 40 miles out of my way to grab a U.S. Marine geocoin and it wasn't there. That's not only a disappointment, but a waste of money in fuel.

I'm not asking for any solution, and I know it's happening in a whole lot more places than just Central California. I'm just kind of venting I guess.

We now return you to your regularly programmed geocaching.

I understand that to some extent they're collectibles, but geez, come on folks.

How rude!

I think you'll find the majority (sadly not all,) of the collectors of geocoins, particuarly the group reguarly frequenting this forum are not removing trackables meant to be traveling, for their own collections. I think you'll also find that this same group of people, also tend to look down on geocoin theft.

ILYK

We have a big problem in our area, mostly with caches that are not Premium Member caches. I know that this is not a popular thing to say, but I tend to stick with leaving geocoins in Premium Member caches, because I absolutely HATE being the last person to log a coin into a cache before it goes missing.

Driving 40 miles out of your way for a geocoin to move along is pretty nuts. But hey, if you're one of the good guys, and you move the trackables along, more power to you! I've gone out of my way for more than a few, but never 40 miles.

It seems to be getting a lot worse in this area too. We went out last week and found 10 caches. Six of the caches had coins or travel bugs listed in inventory, 11 total trackables. We found 2, the other nine were missing. We posted this in our logs and also posted on the trackables web page. All nine of those trackables are still listed in the caches one week later. The cache owner and the trackable owners have not yet marked any of these objects as missing.

We have a big problem in our area, mostly with caches that are not Premium Member caches. I know that this is not a popular thing to say, but I tend to stick with leaving geocoins in Premium Member caches, because I absolutely HATE being the last person to log a coin into a cache before it goes missing.

What I hate is being the first person to tell the owner of the coin that it isn't sitting in the cache and has gone missing...

But the tale is very similar to around here, only about 50% of the trackables that are listed are actually there

I've noticed the same in South Carolina. I cache in the Florence, Myrtle Beach and Charleston areas. I've learned NOT to drive out of the way for a traveler, because chances are.. it's not in the cache. I always report the travelers as missing and encourage owners to mark them as missing. A lot of tourists cache in the Myrtle Beach area and are very disappointed to find caches with travelers listed to be empty. Good tip to leave them in Premium Member caches only. I'll try that and see if they make it. I'm reluctant to look at my personal travelers to see how many are missing. It's too sad.

I had my first and only coin 'borrowed for good" just this month. Only had the opportunity to travel to one other cache before it went missing. Unfortunate because I love finding them and moving them along but will not be purchasing anymore to put out, unless I do the proxy idea. Sad really because they are cool to find. =)