topic of national interest moved to a regional forum?

hukilaulau

Recently someone started a thread on caches in Las Vegas. After quickly getting responses from NYC, Long Island NY, Florida, Illinois, Ontario, (you get the idea), the thread was abruptly moved to the West and Southwest forum! I think most of us who responded would never have seen it if it had started there, and the OP would have missed some good suggestions. What criteria are used to move a thread? Does simply naming a place banish the thread to the netherlands? (No offense, Dutch peoples!)

Recently someone started a thread on caches in Las Vegas. After quickly getting responses from NYC, Long Island NY, Florida, Illinois, Ontario, (you get the idea), the thread was abruptly moved to the West and Southwest forum! I think most of us who responded would never have seen it if it had started there, and the OP would have missed some good suggestions. What criteria are used to move a thread? Does simply naming a place banish the thread to the netherlands? (No offense, Dutch peoples!)
Yes, unfortunately. I do think that posts get moved way too often with too little thought, and the regional forums are all too often the morgues. I will say that when and if you get an answer in a regional forum, it is often a very good one, but that is rare.

Depending on how you phrased your question, I can see a thread about caching at an international vacation spot would be a multinational question and should NOT be banished to the West and Southwest deserts. But maybe that's one reason I'm not a moderator.

Yes, unfortunately. I do think that posts get moved way too often with too little thought, and the regional forums are all too often the morgues.

I read the forums by clicking View New Posts so I catch most of the topics whether they are moved or not. The fact that a SW topic is moved to the SW forum doesn't matter much to me. Granted that many will miss it. For example a CITO topic moved to the CITO forum will likely get less of a response then it would had it been left in the Geocaching Topics forum.

That would seem to me people aren't venturing very far. Do we need everything listed in one place just so they see it? Seems that way.

On the flip side, was the topic truly national? Okay, take it up with the moderator. I wouldn't however start the discussion by saying they moved it with 'too little thought'.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Hmmm. Interesting discussion.

From my international perspective, I'll just say that if I was coming over to the States and wanting info about caches around Las Vegas I would put a post into the West & SW USA forum. If, as some suggest, that section isn't used much I would expect someone to post and point me to the other geocaching groups in the area.

Like BlueDeuce, I view all New Posts regularly to catch up on all areas.

MrsB :unsure:

On the flip side, was the topic truly national? Okay, take it up with the moderator. I wouldn't however start the discussion by saying they moved it with 'too little thought'.

I started the discussion, but I didn't say that.

Was the topic truly national?

obviously, I thought so and the moderator didn't. That's why I'm asking the community to comment.

If the question were, "Are there any good caches around Cassville, Missouri," I could see moving the thread to the... well to some other forum.

As a mod in Getting Started and Hiking and Backpacking I frequently move posts to the forums where I think the post is most appropriate and where the OP is most likely to receive an informed responses.

I assure you this is not done with little thought. I will move a post from a novice who is asking a technical GPS question to the GPS and Technology forum because that is where they will likely get the most informed responses. I'll move a post about meeting other local geocachers to the regional forum because that is where his post is most likely to find it's target.

If someone were to ask about the best caches in Las Vegas, or NYC, Minnesota or wherever, I will move the post to those regional forums because the people who lurk in those forums are more likely to have the intimate knowledge of the area necessary for an informed answer.

As a mod in Getting Started and Hiking and Backpacking I frequently move posts to the forums where I think the post is most appropriate and where the OP is most likely to receive an informed responses.

I assure you this is not done with little thought. I will move a post from a novice who is asking a technical GPS question to the GPS and Technology forum because that is where they will likely get the most informed responses. I'll move a post about meeting other local geocachers to the regional forum because that is where his post is most likely to find it's target.

If someone were to ask about the best caches in Las Vegas, or NYC, Minnesota or wherever, I will move the post to those regional forums because the people who lurk in those forums are more likely to have the intimate knowledge of the area necessary for an informed answer.

OK, Brian. this is one horse which to beat I will not continue! It's apparent that not many people care, anyway. I will just repeat that in THIS PARTICULAR case, the OP was getting a number of good suggestions from visitors who were looking at it from the same perspective as he would be. Why cut it off so quickly?

I mean, that's not a rhetorical question. What was gained from doing that?

I have learned something, though. I'm going to start reading "latest posts", which I have never done before.