v3.9 crashed my oregon 550t!

facade66

Seems I'm the only one with a problem. All the other boys seem to be able to play with their 550, but mine won't upgrade.

It did the verifying, and loading, the blue line went across the screen, then it just says Garmin, and freezes.

I tried removing the batteries, then replacing, holding the power button, plugging in the usb and holding the button to force mass storage mode, then run webupdater again.

It then doesn't bother checking or loading, just freezes on garmin screen.

I tried a repair which should have erased the flash and then put it back to 2,5. This seemed to work, it loaded maps, then went to verifying upgrade, loading, blue line and freeze.

So I did it again, and left the usb in, then deleted GUPDATE.GCD from the \garmin folder.

Now it works! but claims it is v3.40.

I tried downloading the upgrade as a GCD and copying it to \garmin as GUPDATE.GCD in the hope that it was corrupt, but it just verifies, loads and freezes.

Any suggestions, apart from send it back to garmin?

Corrupt GPX file or other type file? Did you try removing microSD card and all GPX files in the internal memory before loading software? Maybe even a hard reset once you get it back to 3.40 then try to update?

I had already removed the card.

I did a hard reset, deleted everything ending in gpx, reset the computer as well, and the webupdater worked.

No idea what it was. Maybe I have faulty flash rom, and deleting the birdseye imagery stuff allows the UPD file to reside in a working area of the rom?

Maybe garmin realised their UPD had got corrupted and refreshed it?

Maybe my pc was sending it corrupt?

Thanks for the suggestion, it was the only thing I didn't try, mostly because a hard reset (press top left of screen whilst powering on) didn't seem to be working.

Now just 3 months to get the settings back how I used to like them.....

Download this

http://gczl.cz/download/Recovery_Oregon550.zip

run it and then upgrade again.

I can't speak for the OP, or anyone else for that matter, but I would never download a file from an unknown source and run it, no matter who recommended it, without a bit more information. Care to provide a link to at least a Web page that explains what it does, who wrote it, and what assurances there are that it won't install nasties on my computer?

--Larry

Download this

http://gczl.cz/download/Recovery_Oregon550.zip

run it and then upgrade again.

Thanks, but

I did this, and it starts up, loads maps, then verifies an upgrade, then does the loading and blue dot/line thingie, then crashes.

So I repeated the exercise, forced it to usb rather than restart and deleted the corrupt??? UPD file. This got it working as v3.40.

The info file with that file claims it should be v2.50 now, it did say "erasing" at one point too.

Anyway, managed to webupdate to 3.90, and the WAAS still doesn't work....

I have just read the string and will be trying out some of the suggestions on my frozen 550t. As I can't be on a trip without a gps, I am becoming impressed by my new Dakota 20.

How I fixed it

1) I got hold of Recovery_Oregon550.zip, which came from the x50 region link on the oregon wiki.

2) I followed the instructions about button holding and usb plugging, it is difficult to keep the button pressed long enough, you can't relax for an instant. Eventually the pc reports success.

3) I unplugged the usb, the unit powers down

4) I held in the power button and plugged in the usb, this stopped it booting and locking up. I waited for the pc to recognise it as mass storage.

5)From the pc I browsed to \garmin on the oregon and deleted the possibly corrupt GUPDATE.GCD

6) unplug usb and power on the oregon: it works.

I then did a hard reset on the oregon, usb'd it and deleted anything ending in GPX that hadn't got a current date and timestamp.

I then webupdated it, it worked.

However, I emailed garmin with the steps 1)-6), they may have fixed the webupdater if it was corrupt by the time I tried it again.