What would you do?

jholly

One has to ask, WHAT would Marvin the Martian do if Bugs Bunny had perpetrated this evil deed?

I think one of those giant disintegrator ray cannon would do nicely... but limit it to one state only please.

One wouldn't want to hit BD's Iowa since it is at least close... If you don't count MN... I seem to remember that is nearby, maybe closer...

Doug 7rxc... safely out of the way!

This situation is a bit of sticky wicket. I wasn't sure what I'd do if I was in your shoes (but then my avatar is no where near as cool). So I looked up the ruffian to see what kind of person he/she/it may be.

The couple seem like model geocachers. They've found over a thousand caches, and a wide variety at that. They've placed several caches with interesting descriptions that have logs that say more than TFTC and it appears they maintain their caches. They find and move TB's along. They really seem like upstanding geacaching 'citizens'.

I'll bet they didn't think that borrowing the avatar was a breech of etiquette. I'd shoot them an email and explain that your avatar was something you spent much time creating in order to have something unique. Then ask if they would be so kind as to select another avatar.

I'll bet they'll switch if approached in friendly manner.

YMMV

In all likelihood, you are looking at a database error.

In fact, if the person who appears to have taken your avatar corrects theirs, yours may change to theirs.

This is because the key relations in the database have probably become corrupted. It happens.

When the database regenerates tonight, the problem will most likely go away. I agree with the previous poster. This geocacher appears to be above board and not likely to have done this of their own volition.

If I am right, this will not be an issue tomorrow.

$ 0.02

nothing you can do really, its the internets

unless of course you claim the copyright for your avatar and title

in another forums i frequent we did that as a joke, about 10 of us had the same avatar for a full day

another time we switched avatars between us

should have seen the confusion, its amazing how people don;t even bother looking at the name, just at the avatar and they know who they're talking to, or so they think

Edited by t4e

In fact, if the person who appears to have taken your avatar corrects theirs, yours may change to theirs.

I think so, too. In that case, they didn't steal it, probably would have trouble changing it back (since it's some weird data problem), and might not even know what you're talking about if you e-mailed them (since they'd have to review one of their posts to even see the thing).

So, it's likely that other avatars have issues today. I'm just glad I haven't been called on the carpet by whoever I stole my avatar from. :unsure:

I think so, too. In that case, they didn't steal it, probably would have trouble changing it back (since it's some weird data problem), and might not even know what you're talking about if you e-mailed them (since they'd have to review one of their posts to even see the thing).

So, it's likely that other avatars have issues today. I'm just glad I haven't been called on the carpet by whoever I stole my avatar from. :unsure:

Ah, yes. Never assume malice where simple database malfunction will suffice. :unsure:

This is because the key relations in the database have probably become corrupted. It happens.

When the database regenerates tonight, the problem will most likely go away. I agree with the previous poster. This geocacher appears to be above board and not likely to have done this of their own volition.

$ 0.02

I agree with this; the whole thing is too strange. Especially since I just noticed "see the forum posts by this user" is broken in everyone's profile. At least as of the second I type this.

Besides, the guy's from Wisconsin. I figure he'd at least change Washington to Wisconsin, right? :unsure:

It could be worse. The guy could be rolling with O.J. Simpson's mug shot, and "don't tase me bro".

Edited by Mr.Yuck

$ 0.02

I agree with this; the whole thing is too strange. Especially since I just noticed "see the forum posts by this user" is broken in everyone's profile. At least as of the second I type this.

Besides, the guy's from Wisconsin. I figure he'd at least change Washington to Wisconsin, right? :unsure:

It could be worse. The guy could be rolling with O.J. Simpson's mug shot, and "don't tase me bro".

I've tried a half a dozen or so random profiles and the "see the forum posts" link seems to work fine. Well some don't but it seems it is more the person has not posted. Everything else in the profile is his/hers/theirs except the avatar and title. The location, join date etc are not mine. If other things were the same then I might buy the database error explanation.

I don't think you have to worry about your avatar for at least the next nine or 10 years, and by then you might just be cute little bunny. :unsure:

$ 0.02

Howdy Mr. Yuck!

$ 0.02

Nope, I would disagree with this. The images locations are clearly different. I have to agree the image is stolen.

The person also updated the image on their profile page, a completely different setting and database, and its the same image.

If some kind of "key corruption" happened, I think you'd see more than one image swapped, you'd see a lot more issues.

Also, there's nothing done that "regenerates" the database every night. This would be a several hour deal at the minimum.

$ 0.02

Urkman - you are nuts... :unsure::unsure:

Am I the only person reading this thread that had to click on their profile page to remember what their avatar looked like?

who's?

Their own! I had to check for my own avatar... sometimes I shake my head at myself...

Well I remember what mine looks like because it was custom made for me. Now if one of the avatars I use on other forums was taken I really wouldn't care, in fact I would be happy to ship you the whole directory I have of just avatars, of course some of them would probably get you banned, or at least a vacation.

Am I the only person reading this thread that had to click on their profile page to remember what their avatar looked like?

who's?

Their own! I had to check for my own avatar... sometimes I shake my head at myself...

i can't tell if you're kidding or not

why would you check your profile to see your avatar when its right here in the forums :unsure:

unless you disabled avatar viewing in your board settings

who's?

why would you check your profile to see your avatar when its right here in the forums :unsure:

Sorry, can't explain myself any further. No, I'm not kidding, yes, I'm just that odd sometimes.

who's?

Sorry, can't explain myself any further. No, I'm not kidding, yes, I'm just that odd sometimes.

Don't worry Guns & Cockpits... I understand what you are trying to say. Until you posted that first response to this thread you would not have seen your avatar. If you are not a frequent poster or just don't pay attention to that little picture over there <----- you may not remember what the avatar is.

I wouldn't worry about it considering that the character being used is not the creation of either of the current users. I would be more worried about using the character as "mine" and getting in trouble with violation of copywrite laws from the actual owners of the character.

Besides there are so many other things in this life to worry about, if that was the worst thing then life would be good!

One last note, I would also not bring it up on a public forum without at least trying to find out why they "took" the avatar. As other posters have commented, they may not know that they did. Or they are not aware that this was something that you frowned upon. I would give them the benefit of the doubt until there is real reason of possibly pubicly embarassing them (although I wouldn't do this either... publicly embarass them, that is).

One last note, I would also not bring it up on a public forum without at least trying to find out why they "took" the avatar. As other posters have commented, they may not know that they did. Or they are not aware that this was something that you frowned upon. I would give them the benefit of the doubt until there is real reason of possibly pubicly embarassing them (although I wouldn't do this either... publicly embarass them, that is).

i don't buy the "they didn't know they took it"

look at my post above you, clearly indicates they saved jholly's avatar and changed the "like" to "love"

the thing is in forums an avatar makes someone easily recognizable, of course if they don't change it as often as their underwear, so with a glance at the avatar you know who the poster is

Edited by t4e

i don't buy the "they didn't know they took it"

look at my post above you, clearly indicates they saved jholly's avatar and changed the "like" to "love"

the thing is in forums an avatar makes someone easily recognizable, of course if they don't change it as often as their underwear, so with a glance at the avatar you know who the poster is

Okay... I never bothered to check into like that :unsure: so strike that possibility but I still stand by the other points I stated.

What would you do if some [forum banning statement removed] stole your unique forum avatar and your forum title that I have not seen anyone else using? Just so you know I am not and do not agree with anything said by WStemple.

two real options:

1. drive to their mom's house, wait patiently for him to leave for middle school and then taunt him vociferously.

2. improve on your icon, you made this one, now make a newer, better one.