16 Travel Bugs released in Massachusetts....

nitefall

I released 16 Travel Bugs in th Boston area yesterday.

They are currently located at the Make Way for Ducklings cache.

My question for the group... Is it reasonalble to expect these ducks to make it to Seattle within 6 months... Some of the TB reprots I have seen take much much longer to cross the country...

nitefall

I almost forgot to mention... they spent their first night out in the rain... I hope their Cache container keeps them warm and dry icon_wink.gif

I love this cache idea! How clever!!

I am in PA, so I can't actually look for the cache myself. icon_frown.gif As I was bemoaning this fact, I thought of a way I can still sort of participate:

I am willing to be the receiver of a "hand-off"* - if that ever becomes necessary.... nitefall, keep me in mind in case you think I can help. Just email me via the main geocahing site.

I do occassionally travel west, so that's another plus. I am off to South Bend this month for example.

* a "hand off" is when a bug moves from one geocacher to another geocacher without going through a cache

-----

dartfrogsmall.jpg

Nitefall:

It's just like hitch hiking. You never know how long it is going to take. Some of them will go quickly and some will take longer. I bet most, if not all of them will be their by Oct 1.

Travel bugs do best when they are in Caches that have lots of visitors, and ones that are hidden well enough that they don't get spotted by non-cachers. Caches that have stood the test of time are best.

Any special names in the lot that have interesting storys? Like Ouack?

my personal favorite is Kack! icon_smile.gif

Rage of Connor's Clan

Connor's Clan

The original 8 ducks from Make ay for Ducklings (the book) were named Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack, and Quack. I just continued the theme fromthere for the next 8.

You will notice that all the names are alphabetical starting with the letter "J"

That is about all the meaning... Although, in the story Quack was always my favorite... Always being last... Interesting that Quack was one fot he last to leave the Cache...

I am rooting for Quack.

Nightfall and others,

Sack is in a cache near me right now. If he doesn't get picked up in the next week or so, I could pick him up and let him stay with me until I fly west in early June. However, I change planes in Seattle and wouldn't have time to get him to Haiku Duck Cache. Could I find someone in Seattle to come to Sea-Tac and hand him off(I might be able to get my brother interested in geocaching)? Or should I just let him find his way to Seattle on his own? Or take him to Alaska with me and let him find his way back to Seattle? I'm not sure what's "fair" in this race. icon_confused.gif

I'm not sure on that. Anyone out there handled a hand off??

I'm sure by June we can figure it out. icon_wink.gif

I just read down a bit further and I think it would be simple. I'd just 'grab' the bug and it goes into my posession and I can then log it into a cache.

mgc.jpg

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

Connor's Clan,

I have not really set up a pagge where you can track each duck... They are all linked from the original Make Way For Ducklings page ( I don't have the link right now)

Do you know of a way to create a tracking page that will compile the info from all the ducks.... I suppose I should ask Jeremy that.

Nitefall

The new Travel Bug search lets you type in the keyword "Ducklings" and get a list of all the 16 brothers, links to their pages, and the number of miles each has traveled. The search link is on the Travel Bug page under the Gallery link. Great new feature!! Thanks Jeremy! icon_biggrin.gif