Planned First CITO

Rangerj

I am planning a CITO event in the Park where I work. I see that most events are social events, with group photos, cookouts, etc. I don't want to sound antisocial, but that's not what I want. I want the event to run itself, once I have it set up, and I want participants to be able to arrive at the event anytime they want that day.

What I am considering is to post a CITO waypoint on geocaching.com, which participants will find is a CITO Pole - a white painted post with a map of the park, a Trash Free Bag dispenser, and a list of waypoints' coordinates. Each successive visitor wil sign up for the next waypoint - there will probably be five of them. To make it possible to have more than five areas cleaned, I expect to have five VIAs - participants go there first then to the destination. In other words, you may be going to Destination A, but by either VIA 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. [i'm thinking that, while the destination is a LAT/LONG waypoint] the VIA will be a physical location. That will give me twenty-five possibilities, and I doubt in a rural area like mine that I will get many more than 25 participants.

At each destination, I plan to have a container with a log and some type of swag. I will ask participants to send me photographs on the website, along with their comments and number of bags of trash collected.

So, how does this plan sound? Is it too far afield from what CITOers want?

Thanks

I am planning a CITO event in the Park where I work. I see that most events are social events, with group photos, cookouts, etc. I don't want to sound antisocial, but that's not what I want. I want the event to run itself, once I have it set up, and I want participants to be able to arrive at the event anytime they want that day.

What I am considering is to post a CITO waypoint on geocaching.com, which participants will find is a CITO Pole - a white painted post with a map of the park, a Trash Free Bag dispenser, and a list of waypoints' coordinates. Each successive visitor wil sign up for the next waypoint - there will probably be five of them. To make it possible to have more than five areas cleaned, I expect to have five VIAs - participants go there first then to the destination. In other words, you may be going to Destination A, but by either VIA 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. [i'm thinking that, while the destination is a LAT/LONG waypoint] the VIA will be a physical location. That will give me twenty-five possibilities, and I doubt in a rural area like mine that I will get many more than 25 participants.

At each destination, I plan to have a container with a log and some type of swag. I will ask participants to send me photographs on the website, along with their comments and number of bags of trash collected.

So, how does this plan sound? Is it too far afield from what CITOers want?

Thanks

I think it's ambitious, but most geocachers are certainly up to such a thing as they'll have their GPSr with them, in the hopes there are actual caches around to find before, during or after the CITO. :laughing:

Make sure the idea of the rotation is clear and in as few words as possible, ask someone unfamiliar with what you are trying to do to read your instructions and see if they understand them.

...I want the event to run itself....

Ummm...are you planning on Attending your own CITO Event? :unsure: It's not obvious from what your are describing.

I will ask participants to send me photographs on the website, along with their comments and number of bags of trash collected.

You could request such things, but making it a requirement to Log the Event would more that likely violate the following portion of the Guidelines:

Logging of All Caches and Additional Logging Requirements

Otherwise sounds like a creative idea.

Good luck!

...I want the event to run itself....

Ummm...are you planning on Attending your own CITO Event? :unsure: It's not obvious from what your are describing.

I would be there, but I can't be everywhere at once and I would probably be alone. Most of the park is accessable only by water, and while this event would be on the mainland, I am responsible for the whole, large, thing. The reason I want it to 'run itself' is to make it as easy on the participants as possible: they arive and depart when they want, work on as many segments as they want, and if they don't want to do the whole segment, do what they want.

I will ask participants to send me photographs on the website, along with their comments and number of bags of trash collected.

You could request such things, but making it a requirement to Log the Event would more that likely violate the following portion of the Guidelines:

Logging of All Caches and Additional Logging Requirements

I will ask. It would be nice if they did, but I wouldn't compel them to do it. Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed. That will do nicely. Pictures would be gravy.

Anyway, that's what I was looking for. Comments from somebody who has done it.

Thanks

Otherwise sounds like a creative idea.

Good luck!