I'm Going There: RACE.

BaylorGrad

EDIT: (Original Post Below!)

Hi Everyone,

After the comments that have come forth so far, I am going to remove myself from this thread and let the discussion continue as it may. If anyone has anything specific to say to me (and I'll gladly take criticism if you see fit--I have as much to learn as anyone), please send me a private message.

Thanks to everyone who participated as I had originally intended,

BaylorGrad

- - - - -

All right folks, I've decided to bring up a subject that has interested me as a Geocacher for a long time: race and ethnicity. A touchy subject in any circumstance, sure--but I cannot avoid it any longer.

I have noticed, and perhaps this is solely a result of the locations where I've cached, that Geocaching seems to be an activity heavily dominated by Caucasians. I am a Caucasian myself, and this bothers me a little. What about Geocaching restricts (or deters) people of other races and ethnicities from participating? Has anyone else observed this trend? What does everyone think?

Just one more observation I've made before we continue... If you feel up to it, go to the city of El Paso, Texas on the Geocaching maps. This is a city of 560,000 that I have visited on two separate occassions. The city is 80% Hispanic. Notice that you can easily view literally the entire city without exceeding the 500 cache limit. My question is--why? This city has excellent places for Geocaches, and the city actually enfolds an incredible, mountainous park. Why so few Geocaches?

I should add two things to make this discussion more feasible:

1) Simply saying, "I Geocache, and I'm of a different race" is not all that helpful; however, an explanation of why you think minority populations are less attracted to the game would be helpful.

2) If you disagree with my observation, feel free to say so--no harm done at all.

3) Let's please keep this discussion as polite as possible... I know this subject can get touchy fast.

Thanks--I'm very interested to hear everyone's responses! Just for reference, I have 102 found Geocaches, mostly in the city of Houston, TX and Terre Haute, IN.

BaylorGrab

Edited by BaylorGrad
I am a Caucasian myself, and this bothers me a little.

Why does that bother you?

1) Simply saying, "I Geocache, and I'm of a different race" is not all that helpful; however, an explanation of why you think minority populations are less attracted to the game would be helpful.

Define minority.

The USA is quite diverse in different races. In other countries, there may not be as much.

Different strokes for different folks

If somebody wants to cache...great. If somebody doesn't want to cache...great. Race makes no difference to me.

I haven't met many cachers, of the one's I've met and the pictures I've seen of cachers, I see an unusually high number of middle-aged individuals, many who are carrying a few extra pounds. If that's really the case, then the caching population is, statistically, also unevenly distributed toward middle aged, middle income, and heavier individuals (which could be a function of the age group).

Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by Ecylram

Define minority.

The USA is quite diverse in different races. In other countries, there may not be as much.

I apologize for not being clear. For the first statement you cite, when I said "and this bothers me a little," I was referring to the previous sentence. So what I mean is, "The fact that non-Caucasians don't Geocache bothers me a little." If your question remains, this bothers me because I think it's an activity that could be enjoyed by all. So why isn't it?

As to your second question, "minority" in this case refers to racial minorities, which in the United States has historically been anyone who is non-White or of Western European descent.

I hope this clarifies.

Different strokes for different folks

If somebody wants to cache...great. If somebody doesn't want to cache...great. Race makes no difference to me.

I haven't met many cachers, of the one's I've met and the pictures I've seen of cachers, I see an unusually high number of middle-aged individuals, many who are carrying a few extra pounds. If that's really the case, then the caching population is, statistically, also unevenly distributed toward middle aged, middle income, and heavier individuals (which could be a function of the age group).

Different strokes for different folks.

Interesting that you made these points... I have had similar observations, but I decided to keep the topic solely on race to keep things easier to discuss.

Sorry that being Caucasian bothers you. :laughing:

Sorry. Had to be said...

Okay. I'll bite. Define: RACE. Was geocaching in Central Park just before the marathon. Lots of areas blocked off, but lots of Porta-Potties! Wrong race?

So. You think that Hispanics are not Caucasians??? That should come as quite a shock to most Hispanics. Spain isn't part of Europe? How about Italians and Greeks? Do they qualify? Portuguese? Do I fit your definition of Causasian? Part German, part Scottish, part something else... Czech? Hungarian? We're not sure. Possibly Tartar? I'm definitely swarthy.

So, I'll have to ask you to define 'Caucasian'.

I geocache with a cubano (who is lighter skinned than I am). His grandparents were from Spain. He thinks he's Caucasian. You don't???

So, my answer to your racist question is: Geocaching appeals to those with the spare time available, and the funds necessary to purchase the equipment. That eliminates a lot of poorer people (many of whom are minorities). I would guess that there is some ethnic cultural reasoning as well.

I used to think that geocaching would appeal to smarter people (off topic for your question). But, seeing some posts on the fora, that is obviously incorrect.

Sorry. Had to be said...

Okay. I'll bite. Define: RACE. Was geocaching in Central Park just before the marathon. Lots of areas blocked off, but lots of Porta-Potties! Wrong race?

So. You think that Hispanics are not Caucasians??? That should come as quite a shock to most Hispanics. Spain isn't part of Europe? How about Italians and Greeks? Do they qualify? Portuguese? Do I fit your definition of Causasian? Part German, part Scottish, part something else... Czech? Hungarian? We're not sure. Possibly Tartar? I'm definitely swarthy.

I geocache with a cubano (who is lighter skinned than I am). His grandparents were from Spain. He thinks he's Caucasian. You don't???

So, my answer to your racist question is: Geocaching appeals to those with the spare time available, and the funds necessary to purchase the equipment. That eliminates a lot of poorer people (many of whom are minorities). I would guess that there is some ethnic cultural reasoning as well.

I used to think that geocaching would appeal to smarter people (off topic for your question). But, seeing some posts on the fora, that is obviously incorrect.

Well, I anticipated that this conversation would bring about heated discussion, but I never thought it would provoke ignorant assumptions about my philosophy of diversity. As 99% of individuals who read my post will immediately realize, my question is not racist by any means. I want everyone to participate in Geocaching. Just because I observe that my roommate is African American, does that make me a racist? No. It's an observation, and a corrent one. My observation while Geocaching (and seeing pictures on the online logs) is that Geocaches tend to be light-skinned (if that clarifies my use of the word "Caucasian"). Is this racist? I do not think so.

I think it's fantastic that you Geocache with an individual who is unlike those who I have observed Geocaching--this gives me hope, despite the fact that you completely misunderstood my comments.

I'm a little more than mildly offended that you've made an assumption about my intelligence. I normally try to be extremely humble about my education, but since you've asked for it--I graduated with a double major with honors from a top-100 university last year and am now pursuing a master's in student affairs and higher education, a program that emphasizes issues of diversity as cornerstone to the profession that I'm entering. I do not consider myself intellgent, necessarily, but if you give me the opportunity, I'll be glad to prove myself.

Define minority.

I apologize for not being clear. For the first statement you cite, when I said "and this bothers me a little," I was referring to the previous sentence. So what I mean is, "The fact that non-Caucasians don't Geocache bothers me a little." If your question remains, this bothers me because I think it's an activity that could be enjoyed by all. So why isn't it?

As to your second question, "minority" in this case refers to racial minorities, which in the United States has historically been anyone who is non-White or of Western European descent.

I hope this clarifies.

Explain this to my hispanic wife, who's family aka familia, has been on this continent long before most other familes ever thought of coming to the "new world".

Again the USA has a lot to offer. One of which is diversity as I mentioned before and it is probably time to throw the "Race" card out.

Define minority.

I hope this clarifies.

Explain this to my hispanic wife, who's family aka familia, has been on this continent long before most other familes ever thought of coming to the "new world".

Again the USA has a lot to offer. One of which is diversity as I mentioned before and it is probably time to throw the "Race" card out.

Goodness... I apologize for pushing buttons. I didn't define the term "minority." I'm using it in the manner that it's typically used in the United States.

I disagree strongly with throwing out the "race card." I think differences among individuals are fascinating, and should be cherished, not ignored. Please, don't misunderstand me--I wish that everyone could get along in perfect harmony in our world. But I think we should celebrate cultural (and racial) differences as well.

But let's get back on topic: why are Geocachers predominantly light-skinned?

I was just looking at who has responded to this thread and as far as I can tell we have one apparently white guy, one blue dolphin, and now one yellow tennis ball in a crowd of blue ones. Other than that I have no idea who is what. Hell, I don't even know for sure if the dolphin is a male or female. I don't even know how to tell the difference on a dolphin. I don't get why any of it matters.

Just wondering on what data you are basing this assumption?

For example, what are the races of the people who have posted in this thread? What race am I? What race are the cachers who placed the last 10 caches you found?

And I would agree with GOF & Bacall that I'm not sure why it matters anyway.

Because nano's have a bleaching effect on the skin?

Because the melanin challenged have a genetic attraction to tupperware?

Because most people (in the US) are light skinned?

Maybe it only seems that way?

Sorry, I have a hard time taking this too seriously. I don't care whether other cachers are young/old, light/dark, blond/brunette, fat/thin, rich/poor, foreign/domestic or whatever. Race is but one characteristic that distinguishes us from another, so I'm not sure why you/we are focusing on this one characteristic over all the unique characteristics we have.

I have also noticed this trend in professional hockey. This deeply troubles has puzzled me for years but I have never thought to bring it up in the hockey forums. I have always thought it was due to the high cost of gear (both hockey and geocaching).

If you are looking for stats to validate your observation I am a caucasian male who fortunately hasn't quite met Ecylram's description of a geocacher (in age or girth. Not yet at least. :laughing:) I would have to agree with both Ecylram's and BaylorGrad's observations. But I could care less what the racial make-up of this hobby is (or the size and age for that matter except that it could give me an advantage when running out for a FTF :laughing:) .

P.S. I challenge any of the forum regulars to post a link to another thread on THIS topic. :laughing:

Edited by slukster

Sorry. Had to be said...

Well, I anticipated that this conversation would bring about heated discussion, but I never thought it would provoke ignorant assumptions about my philosophy of diversity. As 99% of individuals who read my post will immediately realize, my question is not racist by any means. I want everyone to participate in Geocaching. Just because I observe that my roommate is African American, does that make me a racist? No. It's an observation, and a corrent one. My observation while Geocaching (and seeing pictures on the online logs) is that Geocaches tend to be light-skinned (if that clarifies my use of the word "Caucasian"). Is this racist? I do not think so.

I think it's fantastic that you Geocache with an individual who is unlike those who I have observed Geocaching--this gives me hope, despite the fact that you completely misunderstood my comments.

I'm a little more than mildly offended that you've made an assumption about my intelligence. I normally try to be extremely humble about my education, but since you've asked for it--I graduated with a double major with honors from a top-100 university last year and am now pursuing a master's in student affairs and higher education, a program that emphasizes issues of diversity as cornerstone to the profession that I'm entering. I do not consider myself intellgent, necessarily, but if you give me the opportunity, I'll be glad to prove myself.

Wow! Touchy, aren't we? I made no comments about your intelligence. And I do not understand how the college that you graduated from affects that. My comment was that there are some geocachers who are not particularly intelligent. That was an aside about something that surprised me about geocaching.

So. As per my question, you are defining 'Caucasian' as 'light-skinned'. I guess that leaves me out, since I am somewhat swarthy. Oh, dear. In what racial group shall I consider myself???

"Ignorant assumptions" WOW! You were unclear in your racial definitions. All I asked for was a clarifiation. And I receive insults. Perhaps you need to reconsider your definitions. "Cacausian" Harrumph.

Ya should have said "Pale-skinned people". Nope. I'm not a "pale-skinned people".

I did not misunderstand your comments. I offered my answer to your racist comments. Geocaching appeals to those with the time and money required. This does leave out a lot of poorer people, and those whithout the necessary spar time. I would guess a 'top-100 university' did not teach you a lot.

Define minority.

I hope this clarifies.

Goodness... I apologize for pushing buttons. I didn't define the term "minority." I'm using it in the manner that it's typically used in the United States.

I disagree strongly with throwing out the "race card." I think differences among individuals are fascinating, and should be cherished, not ignored. Please, don't misunderstand me--I wish that everyone could get along in perfect harmony in our world. But I think we should celebrate cultural (and racial) differences as well.

"Light Skinned". Even though my wife is hispanic, she is very light skinned. Lighter than me.

I think you need more clarification of minority/caucasion/light skinned.

Just enjoy the sport and have fun trying not to dissect it.

Edited by zoltig

I graduated with a double major with honors from a top-100 university last year and am now pursuing a master's in student affairs and higher education, a program that emphasizes issues of diversity as cornerstone to the profession that I'm entering.

You do understand that 'diversity' encompasses so much more than the single characteristic of race. Why focus on that one variant went there are so many different characteristics that differentiate us (and bind us together)?

Sorting a large and varied group of individuals (up to 5+ million cachers according to one estimate) into 'light-skinned' and not 'light-skinned' just seems...shallow. The world is far more complex...and (wonderfully) diverse.

Edited by Ecylram

Just wondering on what data you are basing this assumption?

For example, what are the races of the people who have posted in this thread? What race am I? What race are the cachers who placed the last 10 caches you found?

And I would agree with GOF & Bacall that I'm not sure why it matters anyway.

I said that this was my observation, not data at all. However, when I go to a virtual cache where pictures are required to obtain the cache, anyone can notice that the number of white-skinned individuals outnumber darker-skinned individuals by about 10:1. I have also observed this when meeting other cachers on the trail. No data, just observation.

I have also noticed this trend in professional hockey. This deeply troubles has puzzled me for years but I have never thought to bring it up in the hockey forums. I have always thought it was due to the high cost of gear (both hockey and geocaching).

If you are looking for stats to validate your observation I am a caucasian male who fortunately hasn't quite met Ecylram's description of a geocacher (in age or girth. Not yet at least. :laughing:) I would have to agree with both Ecylram's and BaylorGrad's observations. But I could care less what the racial make-up of this hobby is (or the size and age for that matter except that it could give me an advantage when running out for a FTF :laughing:) .

P.S. I challenge any of the forum regulars to post a link to another thread on THIS topic. :laughing:

I appreciate your response, and it's fine that you don't see the importance of my question. I was just merely speculating. Thanks!

Sorry. Had to be said...

Wow! Touchy, aren't we? I made no comments about your intelligence. And I do not understand how the college that you graduated from affects that. My comment was that there are some geocachers who are not particularly intelligent. That was an aside about something that surprised me about geocaching.

So. As per my question, you are defining 'Caucasian' as 'light-skinned'. I guess that leaves me out, since I am somewhat swarthy. Oh, dear. In what racial group shall I consider myself???

"Ignorant assumptions" WOW! You were unclear in your racial definitions. All I asked for was a clarifiation. And I receive insults. Perhaps you need to reconsider your definitions. "Cacausian" Harrumph.

Ya should have said "Pale-skinned people". Nope. I'm not a "pale-skinned people".

I did not misunderstand your comments. I offered my answer to your racist comments. Geocaching appeals to those with the time and money required. This does leave out a lot of poorer people, and those whithout the necessary spar time. I would guess a 'top-100 university' did not teach you a lot.

It took you long enough to answer my question, but you finally did. I have nothing else to say towards your passive-aggressive post (although I'll admit this one is as well). Thanks for your response.

I graduated with a double major with honors from a top-100 university last year and am now pursuing a master's in student affairs and higher education, a program that emphasizes issues of diversity as cornerstone to the profession that I'm entering.

You do understand that 'diversity' encompasses so much more than the single characteristic of race. Why focus on that one variant went there are so many different characteristics that differentiate us (and bind us together)?

Sorting a large and varied group of individuals (up to 5+ million cachers according to one estimate) into 'light-skinned' and not 'light-skinned' just seems...shallow. The world is far more complex...and (wonderfully) diverse.

Of course I understand that diversity emcompasses more than race, although I do appreciate you pointing that out, because that's a common misconception. I decided to focus on that particular variant simply because it's the one that I have most observed. (For example, I haven't necessarily seen a difference in age among Geocachers... I'm in my early 20's, and I've met some as old as their 70's, and as young as little kids, of course!) I hope this clarifies your question.

I'm not trying to generalize an entire group of people. I never used the word "all"--that would be foolish and shallow, as you suggest. I'm just merely repeating what I have observed, whether it's even correct or not is a whole different story, and that's one for everyone to discuss. :laughing:

Watch out folks! He's packing a degree and I don't think he's afraid to use it!

Oh, you're funny. I love how we say things on the Internet that we would never say to each other's faces. It's the most horrid result of modern technology, in my opinion.

Actually I would say that to your face. It was meant as a lighthearted jab to hopefully get you to loosen up a bit. You are making the mistake of assuming that what you see in your limited experience is fact. There is no data to back it up. Admittedly there is no data to refute it either. In the end it doesn't matter. Nobody is precluded from participating if they choose.

Of course I understand that diversity emcompasses more than race, although I do appreciate you pointing that out, because that's a common misconception. I decided to focus on that particular variant simply because it's the one that I have most observed.

Perhaps you might want to look inward for your answers. Why do you lean toward sorting people by 'race' instead of the many other characteristics we have?

Frankly, Ammo cans vs micros is a much more relevant way to sort our population. :laughing:

Edited by Ecylram

To the OP, why would you even feel the need to bring it up? I understand that at some point you probably made the observation that the majority of people you have cached with are "white", but what prompted you to bring up the discussion knowing that most likely it would ruffle some feathers?

I really can't think of many other hobbies that are as unbiased towards gender/race/creed as geocaching. I mean in reality you could sign up for a GC account with a random user name, go out and find caches for years, place hundreds of caches, and never once meet another geocacher. So where in all that would someone be able to be discriminated against?

I find it very interesting that when you observed that there is a small amount of minorities in this hobby that you automatically decided it was because they had been "restricted or detered" from the hobby. Maybe that's a result of the middle class white male guilt thats being pushed so hard at colleges these days, especially in the wings of the liberal arts departments. Did you ever think that maybe the essence of geocaching is just not something that appeals to the cultural upbringing of most minorities. Maybe we should go to a bullfighting message board and ask why there are so few whites among their ranks?

My suggestion, stop trying to read into things and find evil where it doesn't exist. This is a very "people" friendly hobby and there's no need to ask questions that dont need to be asked just in order to get a rise out of people.

Of course I understand that diversity emcompasses more than race, although I do appreciate you pointing that out, because that's a common misconception. I decided to focus on that particular variant simply because it's the one that I have most observed.

Perhaps you might want to look inward for your answers. Why do you lean toward sorting people by 'race' instead of the many other characteristics we have?

Frankly, Ammo cans vs micros is a much more relevant way to sort our population. :laughing:

Or perhaps urban or woods? :laughing:

To the OP, why would you even feel the need to bring it up? I understand that at some point you probably made the observation that the majority of people you have cached with are "white", but what prompted you to bring up the discussion knowing that most likely it would ruffle some feathers?

I really can't think of many other hobbies that are as unbiased towards gender/race/creed as geocaching. I mean in reality you could sign up for a GC account with a random user name, go out and find caches for years, place hundreds of caches, and never once meet another geocacher. So where in all that would someone be able to be discriminated against?

I find it very interesting that when you observed that there is a small amount of minorities in this hobby that you automatically decided it was because they had been "restricted or detered" from the hobby. Maybe that's a result of the middle class white male guilt thats being pushed so hard at colleges these days, especially in the wings of the liberal arts departments. Did you ever think that maybe the essence of geocaching is just not something that appeals to the cultural upbringing of most minorities. Maybe we should go to a bullfighting message board and ask why there are so few whites among their ranks?

My suggestion, stop trying to read into things and find evil where it doesn't exist. This is a very "people" friendly hobby and there's no need to ask questions that dont need to be asked just in order to get a rise out of people.

Unless I missed it, I don't believe BaylorGrad stated that minorities were "restricted or deterred". The original question was open ended as I recall.

DNFr's and Non-DNFr's??

Unless I missed it, I don't believe BaylorGrad stated that minorities were "restricted or deterred". The original question was open ended as I recall.

What about Geocaching restricts (or deters) people of other races and ethnicities from participating?

I knew it would probably cause heated discussion, but I was just interested... I want to include everyone. I hate that everyone took this the wrong way. I was just passing along a simple observation. I want all people to enjoy this hobby as much as I do... That's really all there is to it. I wasn't trying to cause trouble. :laughing:

I love that you brought another perspective to this though--I greatly appreciate that.

DNFr's and Non-DNFr's??

Well fine then. Just as long as we leave those dang FTFers out of it. You know how THEY are! :laughing:

Hi Everyone,

After the comments that have come forth so far, I am going to remove myself from this thread and let the discussion continue as it may. If anyone has anything specific to say to me (and I'll gladly take criticism if you see fit--I have as much to learn as anyone), please send me a private message.

BaylorGrad

I knew it would probably cause heated discussion, but I was just interested... I want to include everyone. I hate that everyone took this the wrong way. I was just passing along a simple observation. I want all people to enjoy this hobby as much as I do... That's really all there is to it. I wasn't trying to cause trouble. :laughing:

I love that you brought another perspective to this though--I greatly appreciate that.

Everyone IS welcome to participate.

Hi Everyone,

BaylorGrad

Way to back out of a thread that you started. :laughing:

Why not ask for it to be closed? :laughing:

I think you will find that most geocachers do not care what a persons race is. Nor do the care what their sexual orientation is. Or hair length... or anything else.

I am sure that you thought that you had good intentions starting this thread. I think the point is, by response of the people, it matters not.

Again, have fun and celebrate the diversity of geocaching. :laughing:

I hate that everyone took this the wrong way. I was just passing along a simple observation. I want all people to enjoy this hobby as much as I do... That's really all there is to it. I wasn't trying to cause trouble. :laughing:

You're coming from the insular world of academics, in a field that is race-conscious. You talk about it, study it, and write about it. Race is not a part of geocaching. It's a (usually) individual sport where, as others have pointed, you can go a long time without meeting another Geocacher. Race is irrelevant to what we do in our hobby/sport/obsession.

Frankly, if there is an under representation of a particular group in this hobby/sport/obsession you're asking the question of the wrong people - the geocachers. To get an answer to your question you'd need to ask those who AREN"T geocacher's for your answer. We aren't going to know the answer, even if the supposition is true. All we could do is speculate, just as yourself.

I've found that generally when you approach a group and ask why something isn't being done, or why certain people aren't being included, its almost always seen as an attack and people get on the defensive. Especially when the matter of race and equality is brought up. If you would have asked "How can we get more minorities involved in geocaching" you would have received a much different response from people.

I hate that everyone took this the wrong way. I was just passing along a simple observation. I want all people to enjoy this hobby as much as I do... That's really all there is to it. I wasn't trying to cause trouble. :laughing:

You're coming from the insular world of academics, in a field that is race-conscious. You talk about it, study it, and write about it. Race is not a part of geocaching. It's a (usually) individual sport where, as others have pointed, you can go a long time without meeting another Geocacher. Race is irrelevant to what we do in our hobby/sport/obsession.

Frankly, if there is an under representation of a particular group in this hobby/sport/obsession you're asking the question of the wrong people - the geocachers. To get an answer to your question you'd need to ask those who AREN"T geocacher's for your answer. We aren't going to know the answer, even if the supposition is true. All we could do is speculate, just as yourself.

^^^That^^^

Well put

Hi Everyone,

BaylorGrad

To be honest, I see this as a cop out as well. You bring up a controversial thread, then when you get answers that you dont like, you back out. You brought up the subject, if you no longer want to discuss it, have the thread closed.

Hi Everyone,

BaylorGrad

To be honest, I see this as a cop out as well. You bring up a controversial thread, then when you get answers that you dont like, you back out. You brought up the subject, if you no longer want to discuss it, have the thread closed.

I will do that... As soon as I figure out how. Say what you want.

Hi Everyone,

BaylorGrad

I'll throw in my two cents...

After seeing a series of trolls work their way through the forums, it's refreshing to see somebody acknowledge a thread has gone in the wrong direction and gracefully step away. He/she/it could have dug in their heels, gone extreme, or godwin'd the thread. I much prefer this.

Besides...

For all we know the OP could have been doing an experiment for a paper on race perceptions. In which case they have all the data they need. :laughing:

Hi Everyone,

BaylorGrad

I will do that... As soon as I figure out how. Say what you want.

Post one more time to the thread asking a mod to close it. That should do the trick.

I want everyone to participate in Geocaching.
Why? Seriously, why would you want that? I want everybody that wants to participate in geocaching to participate in it, and if, for whatever reason, they think it is stupid, or otherwise don't wish to participate, I'd rather they don't.

Interest is probably the real question here. Why are some people interested, and some people are not, and is there an ethnic, racial, economic, or educational reason for that interest or lack thereof.

I was just looking at who has responded to this thread and as far as I can tell we have one apparently white guy, one blue dolphin, and now one yellow tennis ball in a crowd of blue ones. Other than that I have no idea who is what. Hell, I don't even know for sure if the dolphin is a male or female. I don't even know how to tell the difference on a dolphin. I don't get why any of it matters.
... and a dog. Don't forget the dog. Of course, I hadn't posted at the time that you made that summation, so... well, WOOF!!