Injuries whulst caching.

Is it just me, or have other people sustained injuries whilst caching? We're not talking about the usual nettle stings, brambles creating geostripes on uncovered flesh etc but slightly more serious injuries. I have just recovered from my latest injury, infected bursitis (very painful swollen tennis elbow) caused by stumbling rapidly into a stile with outstretched arms :anitongue: I have slipped on a rocky footpath, smacking my head and ear onto a large rock, splitting the top of my ear and coating the immediate area liberally with the red stuff :D I tripped coming down from Kinder Scout and caused a mallet finger (snapped tendon) :anitongue: Caching in Derbyshire I slipped on some rocks, landed on my elbow and split the skin, causing a three inch laceration :anicute: I wouldn't mind so much if I went caching in stilettos but I do wear proper walking boots and am usually holding zarbi's hand :D I think it's because I get so carried away in all the excitement of finding a cache that I forget to look at where I'm going :D Anyone else have this problem? zarbibird (Chrissy)

I'm feeling a bit left out there... but apart from the usual cuts & scratches I've had nothing. I've always been aware of the fact that we share most of our woodlands with snakes, and so I take the lower section of a walking / hiking pole with me, to do the probing with, before I actually "stick my hand in there!".

I'm feeling a bit left out there... but apart from the usual cuts & scratches I've had nothing. I've always been aware of the fact that we share most of our woodlands with snakes, and so I take the lower section of a walking / hiking pole with me, to do the probing with, before I actually "stick my hand in there!".

I'm always very conscious when caching in rural parts of the US that in the UK there's no wildlife around that's likely to kill me that I can't see coming. An adder bite isn't something I'd want to happen but the chances of surviving it are pretty good. In the US when you get rattlesnakes, copperheads I'm especially wary of sticking my hands into crevices. So, like you, I use a walking pole and root around with it first.

So far the most dangerous thing that has bitten me while I've been caching is a mosquito.

Does Smashing the screen on my Oregon300 yesterday count? B)

I wanted to do The First in Wales and Merlin's Cache 3 (I already had final coordinates) both on The Blorange and was going to make it a circular walk bagging a trig on the way. Anyway lost my balance on some rocks and dropped the GPS didn't hurt myself but there's a lovely spider-web pattern on the oregon screen that's going to cost £110 to repair. :sad::):(

Does Smashing the screen on my Oregon300 yesterday count? :P

I wanted to do The First in Wales and Merlin's Cache 3 (I already had final coordinates) both on The Blorange and was going to make it a circular walk bagging a trig on the way. Anyway lost my balance on some rocks and dropped the GPS didn't hurt myself but there's a lovely spider-web pattern on the oregon screen that's going to cost £110 to repair. B):o:anibad:

Look on the bright side, at least that spider web pattern wasn't on the side of your head or your teeth or anything.

I took a tumble on some loose rocks last year and as I realised I was going to fall I was seriously expecting a nasty break in my shin as I didn't think I could move my foot before my weight broke the bone. Then I thought my weight landing on my bone across the edge of a rock would break it. Somehow neither happened and I got a mossy mark on the knee of my jeans and a red mark on my knee and that was it.