Our Geocaching Companion, Rest In Peace

Boneman65

I just wanted to post this, and hopefully it is appropriate for this forum. If not, please remove it with my apologies.

Our faithful geocaching companion Tia passed away recently. She was there for our first ever find, and for nearly all the ones that followed. While she never once actually located a lock 'n lock, ammo can or bison tube, she loved nothing more than to join us as we went to places unknown in search of hidden treasures. We have since gone out a couple of times, but our geocaching memories are so tied to her presence that somehow the experience seems a little emptier without her along for the ride.

In her memory I made a short video and in our sadness I would like to share it with this community. I hope it's okay.

Condolences from a family who recently lost our 16 yr old border collie. What a hole they leave in your hearts when they are gone. The kids still get misty eyed occasionally, but it is getting easier. It still seems very strange caching without him though. I hope that time will heal your hearts. Namaste - Gary and the kids of team5150

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful dog! I feel your heartache - we no longer have the two beautiful dogs that accompanied us on our first find. We lost our beautiful border collie, Maggie, shortly after that 1st find to a sudden illness and 2 years later, our wonderful golden retriever, Rusty, joined her. It takes time, but eventually the pain gives way to the joy of happy memories. There is a beautiful poem about the Rainbow Bridge - one version can be found at http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

We also put out a tribute cache for each of them. We now have Carly, a black lab mix, and Sadie, a pointer/hound mix, to cache with us. No, they do not replace Maggie & Rusty, but they do bring their own brand of joy to our lives. Our sympathies on your loss. :laughing:

Mrs. Car54

Edited by Car54

There's nothing quite as difficult as saying good by to a beloved animial friend. They enrich our lives beyond measure.

I lost my German Shepherd companion several years ago and still miss him.

My sympathy for your loss.

Edited by a2nren2e

Sorry for your loss, my wife and I are both big animal lovers and know how hard it is to lose a family member like that. Our own two dogs are getting up there in years, and our oldest might not be going on any more caching hikes with me. Took her the other day and she's had a pretty hard time getting around, she's recovering, but pretty slowly. I dread the day she wont be with us any more.

Here is travel bug that we helped move along a few months ago, it was in remembrance of a fellow geo-dog: Emma Bear's Travel Bug Maybe that would be a great way to share your memories with others.

What a hole they leave in your hearts when they are gone.

Can't you fill that hole with another dog?

EDIT: Of course after time, when you get over your loss.

sometimes is not that easy, its been almost 2 years now since i had to put down my cat, that has been with me for 16 happy years, and i still can't bring myself to get another one, still feels like it would be a replacement :laughing:

to the OP, sorry for your loss :laughing:

I feel your heartache

We've had to put down our share of pets in our 70 years of life and I know how it hurts

The Rainbows Bridge Poem

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Everytime I read this poem I choke up and get teary eyed

What a hole they leave in your hearts when they are gone.

Can't you fill that hole with another dog?

EDIT: Of course after time, when you get over your loss.

sometimes is not that easy, its been almost 2 years now since i had to put down my cat,

My cats are only a few years old, I have a very strong bonding with them. I never had to deal with a pet dieing on me before so I guess I really don't know how I would react. I just thought that maybe the hole would be filled... :ph34r: