Off Leash Dog Parks

Andronicus

Is it just me, or are off leash dog parks kind of discusting. I have done 2 caches in these types of parks recently, and in both cases, there was dog messes at fairly regular intervals. And even more common was full doggy doo bags (some of which are within throughing distance of a garbage). Then there is the overflowing garbages near the parking lot. The latest one I did had dog scat about 2 feet from the cache; nice...

I am sure that most dog owners are good about cleaning up, but I guess, even a few who aren't can realy make a mess of the place.

I think I am going to try to avoid these parks when caching with the kids from now on.

Sounds like the people responsible for the park are failing to keep up. I have noticed that any park with full trash receptacles tends to be filthy. It is almost like folks figure that if TPTB don't care enough to empty the garbage cans the why should they give a darn. Even so, an off leash dog park is going to have a pile or two around. Dogs aren't as modest as people. If it bothers you do like you said, avoid those parks.

I love taking my dogs to the local off leash parks. I live in the country, and have lots of room for the dogs to run. However, taking them to the dog park on a regular basis helps keep them very social with other dogs.

When I run into other cachers, with social dogs, in remote areas, I can let the dogs play. They are used to other dogs.

In the dog parks around here, it seems most people are very good about picking up after their dogs. There will always be some who don't, but around here it sure doesn't seem as bad as you have found.

I would suggest if you do not like caching in your local dog park, remember, you do not need to find every cache. Just skip those. :laughing:

I love taking my dogs to the local off leash parks. I live in the country, and have lots of room for the dogs to run. However, taking them to the dog park on a regular basis helps keep them very social with other dogs.

When I run into other cachers, with social dogs, in remote areas, I can let the dogs play. They are used to other dogs.

In the dog parks around here, it seems most people are very good about picking up after their dogs. There will always be some who don't, but around here it sure doesn't seem as bad as you have found.

I would suggest if you do not like caching in your local dog park, remember, you do not need to find every cache. Just skip those. :laughing:

But it was a FTF oportunity. I couldn't not find it....

pickle parks: ignore

dog parks: ignore

hides too close to a house: ignore

thanks!

Okay my curiosity is killing me, what in the world is a "pickle park"

To the OP, sounds like your area not only has a sub par parks department, but also quite a few inconsiderate dog owners. We have several dog parks in our area, and for the most part they are very clean and "landmine" free. The parks department keeps the garbage clean and empty and plenty of poop bags available, and for the most part the dog owners pick up after themselves.

But to be honest, I've never done a cache in a dog park, though I have done one close to one. I would think placing one inside a park is a bad idea just on the fact that there are many people that have dog based fears and anxiety.

I would suggest if you do not like caching in your local dog park, remember, you do not need to find every cache. Just skip those. :)

But it was a FTF oportunity. I couldn't not find it....

Are you sure all those dog messes were real? :D How evil would that be, to have the cache be a fake pile of dog mess, and put in a dog park? :laughing::):ph34r: (That would be one I would never find.)

I would think placing one inside a park is a bad idea just on the fact that there are many people that have dog based fears and anxiety.

Not sure why this would be a bad idea for the reason you give. I think the cache page could mention that it is a dog park, and those that have dog based fears and anxieties could just skip it. Not all caches need to be found by all cachers.

Sounds like the people responsible for the park are failing to keep up.

I would say the obliviots who own the dogs are failing to keep up. :laughing:

The overflowing garbages would be the parks department. The messes on/near the paths, and the full bags on/near the paths would be the dog owners.

Some blame on each I guess. Maybe if I start campaining to have the off leash areas closed to dogs, people will realize that it is a privalege, not a right, and will start to be more considerate.

The dog parks I have been to in my area have all been quite clean. But the parks here tend to enforce things quite a bit and many of them require pay permits, which I think helps.

I also think that many dog owners are quite conscientious about cleaning up after their pets. Unfortunately there are always a few bad apples in every group though.

In any event, if it is a concern, using the ignore list is always a good option.

I would think placing one inside a park is a bad idea just on the fact that there are many people that have dog based fears and anxiety.

Not sure why this would be a bad idea for the reason you give. I think the cache page could mention that it is a dog park, and those that have dog based fears and anxieties could just skip it. Not all caches need to be found by all cachers.

Excellent point, didn't think that one all the way through. As long as its stated in the description there's no problem.

Excellent point, didn't think that one all the way through. As long as its stated in the description there's no problem.

Or viewable in a map.

We live in the country and were caching in a local wilderness park today. Found our last cache then off to the local eatery for sustenance. Then to the little store for some staples and home. It was only on that last 3 minute drive that someone said to me "can you smell 'this'?" Yes, it was what the OP posted about - much more difficult to see on those little trails. At least in an off leash dog park, I am expecting it and it is easier to see. Most owners here are very good and come prepared in the city parks.

If I had kids and was taking them caching, I would probably avoid dog parks. Mainly because when the dogs are having fun chasing a ball or each other, they could bump into a little one. That could spoil their day.

pickle parks: ignore

dog parks: ignore

hides too close to a house: ignore

thanks!

Okay my curiosity is killing me, what in the world is a "pickle park"

To the OP, sounds like your area not only has a sub par parks department, but also quite a few inconsiderate dog owners. We have several dog parks in our area, and for the most part they are very clean and "landmine" free. The parks department keeps the garbage clean and empty and plenty of poop bags available, and for the most part the dog owners pick up after themselves.

But to be honest, I've never done a cache in a dog park, though I have done one close to one. I would think placing one inside a park is a bad idea just on the fact that there are many people that have dog based fears and anxiety.

Did you get your answer? Boys and Boys who like each other...