Biggest, Smallest, Best, Worst, Furthest, Nearest...

Simply Paul

Big: Chatting to Jeremy last Sunday, I was surprised to learn GeoWoodstock had over 3,500 attendees this year - truly a mega Mega. Is that a record? I guess the Perth Mega in July holds that position for the UK.

Small: I spotted a recent event with only three Attended logs, which still beats my 'Herm is where the Heart is!' event from June which was officially attended by me, a crazy Dane called Gade and his bicycle, Brompton. The less said about my Alderney event - at which I'd have been alone IF I'd managed to get there! - the better... Anyone been to anything smaller? Nano flashmob on your tod? Literally One Man and His Dog event?

Best: Different strokes for different folks, of course, but with events very much on my mind at the moment, I was wondering what the best one you've been to was, and more importantly, what made it such a cracker?

Of the 88 events (excluding my own, of course) I've been to, many stand out in my memory; May's Austrian Mega in a castle for the mad 2,200mile/4 day/9 countries cached-in trip, 'CITO on Steep Holm' by Icarus & Berrow Cachers in August 2009 for the location, 'GC4E England’s First!' by goldpot for the sense of history, 'MORECAMBE BAY CROSSING' by countrymatters for the walk, 'Picnic In The Park' by Lord Of The Cachers for the company, weather, views and a solo PB caches-ina-day, 'Hallow'een 3: The Last Minute Monster Marston Meet' by 'Creepybug&Scarybird' back in October 2006 for a wild night cache with a man with a chainsaw and a wilder ride back to the pub in a Argo... All the way back to 'Ben Nevis - come climb with Coupar Angus!' by Couparangus which, as the name suggests, got me to the top of the country for an amazing sense of achievement. :D

Worse: Without naming any names (and there's no point checking my logs; I didn't go) the worst event I heard of involved a lot of driving about to find dull caches which didn't get listed on geocaching.com and a disappointing finale involving a 'fireworks spectacular' which was a damp squib. I've been lucky; none of the events I've been to have left me with a sense of regret but I don't suppose everyone has a happy tale to tell. Be nice, but care to share? Terrible weather took some of the edge off a few of mine (wet Ridgeway Run and my chilly hilltop 10 Years! meet spring to mind) but again, what's fallen flat for you?

Furthest: The Austrian Mega is as far as I've gone for a cache-bash. I can't spot just how far it was, but I'd take a guess at around 750 miles as the crow flies from home. Glad we split the fuel four ways!

Nearest: My front room back in February 2005 for 'All Around to My Place' - an event with tea and coffee to watch me on Countryfile :laughing:

Any other suggestions? Feel free to expand on this list :)

We ran an event on the beach at Coolangatta in Queensland, Australia.

We had 11 attended logs although you'll see from the pics that there were many more there (apparently the Aussies aren't that bothered about logging caches - we joined the geocaching.au forums and advertised it there too).

Probably my favourite event too - it was a BYO food event, the barbeques are provided by the local state government and a fine afternoon. Also, the first (but not the last) event we had been to on a beach.

Some people had even gone as far as making a weekend of it (apparently, one couple had driven a couple of hundred miles and booked a hotel because it seemed worthy).

Worse: Without naming any names (and there's no point checking my logs; I didn't go) the worst event I heard of involved a lot of driving about to find dull caches which didn't get listed on geocaching.com and a disappointing finale involving a 'fireworks spectacular' which was a damp squib.

Ah yes, 120 mile round trip to get there. A day of driving 80+ miles round a bunch of tossed into a grass verge caches with no actual cache contents which were never published, in the hope of finding a final bonus cache, which never materialised and then standing in the rain watching 5 seconds of fizzle... and paying £7 per head for the privilege. Happy days!

I'm at work and cant access GC.com at the mo, but on Christmas day 2 years ago (or maybe it was three??) , there was an event up Moel Fammau in North Wales run by someone called Bah Humbug (or something)

After digging around, it was Ac-p that listed it... there was just him there! He always threatened to hold a Micro event on the same day as a Mega Event!!

Edited by HazelS

Worse: Without naming any names (and there's no point checking my logs; I didn't go) the worst event I heard of involved a lot of driving about to find dull caches which didn't get listed on geocaching.com and a disappointing finale involving a 'fireworks spectacular' which was a damp squib.

Ah yes, 120 mile round trip to get there. A day of driving 80+ miles round a bunch of tossed into a grass verge caches with no actual cache contents which were never published, in the hope of finding a final bonus cache, which never materialised and then standing in the rain watching 5 seconds of fizzle... and paying £7 per head for the privilege. Happy days!

You didn't mention the burgers. sick.gif

I have only ever been to 15 events and loved everyone of them!

Although I almost missed one completely as I arrived as they were all leaving.. :lol:

Lucky for me Deci was still there and I managed a smilie! :lol:

Everyone of those events have had a great turn out .... always loads of stuff going on ... loved em all!

My favorite will be this one though .... cause it will be MY first ever event organized by me with loads of help from Team Marzipan of course!:

Fantasyraider & Team marzipan Halloween night meet

Thanks for that TheOtherStu; I think you're going to win the Furthest prize! Looked brilliant. I'm still jealous.

Alibags, you paint a lovely picture, lol! I believe it was a youngster who organised it, and the weather is never anyone's fault, but still, I recall some of Cryptic Souls Crew's comments..! :lol:

I still have Humbug GC1H2H9 on my watch list Hazel; I've made a point of avoiding holding cache events on Christmas Day myself, but I'm not say never..! :lol:

To The Haywood Hornet, I have to say while I did nip away for a while, I'd already walked the route to place the caches, couldn't log them myself, and I did come back for the end! There was some CITO done along the way (pix with my log) and, in keeping with Groundspeak events listing, the meet was at the start, not the walk itself... :lol:

FantasyRaider, I know what you mean about first events. I remember mine fondly. Good luck with yours; if it's as good as the cache page, you'll have a great night :laughing:

Our furthest and the best had to be the Happisburgh Cache Bash the one we arranged long distance, after raising money on here for new GPS equipment after the Happisburgh lifeboat ones were stolen, ok I know that our fund raising event was the only one allowed on here, but it was the best for the support of all you guys we raised £500 ish in just about 2 weeks, and Geocachers from all over the country attended the event to present the money raised to the lifeboat men. it took over 6 hours to get there and the same back, but it will always be the best event I have ever done or been to it was a pleasure to do thanks to your support.

Edited by Eeyore 1
Our furthest and the best had to be the Happisburgh Cache Bash the one we arranged long distance, after raising money on here for new GPS equipment after the Happisburgh lifeboat ones were stolen, ok I know that our fund raising event was the only one allowed on here, but it was the best for the support of all you guys we raised £500 ish in just about 2 weeks, and Geocachers from all over the country attended the event to present the money raised to the lifeboat men. it took over 6 hours to get there and the same back, but it will always be the best event I have ever done or been to it was a pleasure to do thanks to your support.

I remember it well!!