Found Trackable

jhazens

Haven't had this happen to me yet so was wondering what to do. I swapped trackables in a cache and when I went to log the one I found, it wasn't showing up in the cache. I figured someone just hasn't dropped it yet. Well, I plugged in the tracking code and found that it still shows up in a different cache in a different state and was last dropped there 3 months ago. What is the right thing to do? Wait to see if someone eventually logs it and drops it in the cache where I found it? If so, How long to wait? What are the other options?

Thanks,

Jeff

You can do 2 things.

1. Log the trackable from the cache in the other state (write a note for the cache) , then log it into the cache you found and then log the take, or

2. Found it, log it --> Grab it from somewhere else.

The traveled miles between the last 2 caches (where it was and where it should be) will be lost when using point 2. Hope this helps.

I say you do the right thing, and drive it all the way back to that other state and put it in the cache that it says it's in.

Or just grab it from wherever it says it is, and log it into the cache that you found it in for the proper mileage.

But I'm leaning towards the first one. Definitely more geocaching in it for you that way.

Haven't had this happen to me yet so was wondering what to do. I swapped trackables in a cache and when I went to log the one I found, it wasn't showing up in the cache. I figured someone just hasn't dropped it yet. Well, I plugged in the tracking code and found that it still shows up in a different cache in a different state and was last dropped there 3 months ago. What is the right thing to do? Wait to see if someone eventually logs it and drops it in the cache where I found it? If so, How long to wait? What are the other options?

Thanks,

Jeff

When going to log the bug in the drop just select grabed it from another cache and then proced as normal. The bug will then show up in your invatory

Waiting a week or so, to give the other cacher the opportunity to log the tackable into the cache, is common courtesy. I've had TBs grabbed before I got home. And that was a half hour drive!

If it is not properly logged after a week or so (Yes. A lot of people do not seem to know how to log a TB.) then the prper procedure is to 'grab' the Bug, log it into the cache where you found it, delete that log, then 'retrieve' it.

Yep, it may have been last logged three months ago but it might have been dropped off 5 minutes before you got there. Sometimes people on long distance trips aren't the quickest loggers. You pick it up, drive a day, drop it off, find a computer.

Waiting a week is good. I'm okay with three days especially over the weekend.