laminated replica of geocoins being released

Pokerfart

I just grapped a geocoin today, but in fact it is just a laminated replica / photocopy of the geocoin.

the owner wants me to treat is as a normal geocoin, as they have the 'real coin' with them and never released it.

It is a Doppelgänger not a real geocoin.

I'll release it but it seems the owner has 30+ other coins and does the same for them all

Somthing about this just feels wrong.

I just grapped a geocoin today, but in fact it is just a laminated replica / photocopy of the geocoin.

the owner wants me to treat is as a normal geocoin, as they have the 'real coin' with them and never released it.

I'll release it but it seems the owner has 30+ other coins and does the same for them all

I see nothing wrong with it. I find the life span of my geocoins to be short, one never made it past the starting cache before being stolen. None of the rest of mine are active anymore, all taken.

This is quite possibly someone who has suffered the same, if not to a higher degree. It's a good idea as it allows the coin owner to re-launch the coin if it goes missing.

Yes, what feels wrong is feeling I get when a thief steals my coin that was meant to be shared with all. Or the feeling I get when a newbie that thinks it is really a cool piece of swag and decides to hang on to it. Or the feeling I get when a newbie that starts geocaching thinking this is really a great thing, takes the coin and before it is logged decides geocaching is really dumb and empties his bag into the trash. What difference does it make if the coin is real or if it is a replica? I've looked at all my icons and I really can't tell if there is any difference in the icons. Did you notice a difference in the icon?

Yes, what feels wrong is feeling I get when a thief steals my coin that was meant to be shared with all. Or the feeling I get when a newbie that thinks it is really a cool piece of swag and decides to hang on to it. Or the feeling I get when a newbie that starts geocaching thinking this is really a great thing, takes the coin and before it is logged decides geocaching is really dumb and empties his bag into the trash. What difference does it make if the coin is real or if it is a replica? I've looked at all my icons and I really can't tell if there is any difference in the icons. Did you notice a difference in the icon?

I know we lose coins, I've lost quite a few myself, as well as some really favorite TB's. My point is it is not a real coin, just a paper copy representing a geocoin. If it is just about the icon, then why not just key in 100S of geocodes? Heck - it would be easy to just key in 1000's of geocaches you visited. I looked at them on the map - and saw a paper copy of a geocache - so let me log it.

Personly, I feel like I have not seen this coin, felt it experianced it's weight and art quality, I'm just looking at a copy. So I don't feel like I should log it.

I know we lose coins, I've lost quite a few myself, as well as some really favorite TB's. My point is it is not a real coin, just a paper copy representing a geocoin. If it is just about the icon, then why not just key in 100S of geocodes? Heck - it would be easy to just key in 1000's of geocaches you visited. I looked at them on the map - and saw a paper copy of a geocache - so let me log it.

Personly, I feel like I have not seen this coin, felt it experianced it's weight and art quality, I'm just looking at a copy. So I don't feel like I should log it.

Tell you what, I'll glue the replica print of the coin to a piece of metal and then you get to experience the weight of the coin. But if you don't like it, don't log it, just leave it in the cache. Then both of us will be happy.

Because for some it isn't about the silly chunk of tin, but rather the journey it has taken. A geocoin has the potential to go places we just dream of.

I've seen it before. I found one where the owner took a high resolution photo of the coin, glued it to a metal washer and sealed it inside one of those plastic coin holders. Unless you looked closely, you wouldn't notice that it was a replica. It had the look, weight and feel of a geocoin.

That said, I think the entire concept is silly. If you don't want your coin stolen, don't release it. If you want it to travel then send it on its way and see where fate takes it.

What's next? Laminated paper travel bug tags?

If I find these things I don't log them. I didn't find the geocoin and I'm not logging a piece of cardboard.

Edited by briansnat

for all those that think it is just fine to send out a piece of paper instead of an actual item... take this ball and go home. the coin is the item supposed to be released, not a copy... not a handwritten note with the tracking code on it. if you can't stand to see your TB or GC disappear into the void DON'T release them. put them in your cute little three ring binder tote them to each event to show everyone - make sure you keep an eye on it though, i hear thieves know no bounds. setting a piece of paper out as if it is something else is nothing more than geospam.

61anTWn8QFL.jpg

for all those that think it is just fine to send out a piece of paper instead of an actual item... take this ball and go home. the coin is the item supposed to be released, not a copy... not a handwritten note with the tracking code on it. if you can't stand to see your TB or GC disappear into the void DON'T release them. put them in your cute little three ring binder tote them to each event to show everyone - make sure you keep an eye on it though, i hear thieves know no bounds. setting a piece of paper out as if it is something else is nothing more than geospam.

61anTWn8QFL.jpg

No, thanks. I'm going to keep sending out copies, rather than lose the $8-$15 coin that I purchased. If you can't stand to see a laminated paper trackable then feel free to not pick it up out of a cache. I don't consider you to be an expert on the subject, nor are you the geocache police with your accusations of geospam, whatever that is.

I've met a lot of real nice people while out geocaching, but I tell ya, some of y'all have some real issues with entitlement, telling others how to do their thing. Maybe just try going out and having some fun?

I see my share of those and I wont move them or log them. I feel that copies of coins have a harder time traveling because there are people like me that think they are lame.

The real problem is, they get wet and ugly really quickly and become, guess it... yep, geo junk. There are days I just wish I can throw them in the trash.

I dont have a problem when people take tracking number and stamped it on a really cool item that they made.

All in all, if you dont want your coins to get lost, dont release them. That simple!

GOF & Bacall snippit: "A geocoin has the potential to go places we just dream of."

Very true! We use CacheStats on our profile page, and we have fun customizing some of the fields. We keep track of places our trackables go around the world have added that to the field that shows "Countries Visited". We've been to three countries, our trackables have traveled a bit more!

• United States, Russia, Canada. Countries our trackables have visited: U.S., Denmark, Germany, Bermuda, Saudi Arabia, Canada, Russia, France, Switzerland.

On topic, the first time we saw a laminated geocoin we were disappointed, because we're among those who enjoy looking at the engineering and quality of a coin, and appreciate the heft of the metal and the details of the artwork. But now we understand why some owners do it and we're very happy to move these trackables along. We have moved many laminated trackables (baseball cards, photos of people's pets, etc) and view the laminated coins in that vein. We've seen some nice wooden replica coins, too. Bottom line is we really appreciate everyone who has moved our trackables and want to return the favor to the caching community.

Because for some it isn't about the silly chunk of tin, but rather the journey it has taken. A geocoin has the potential to go places we just dream of.

I like to see it, hold it, admire the craftsmanship. something on a piece of paper i can't do.

i'll move it but i wish they'd note on the page its a proxy and not the real deal.

I can empathize with people who release laminated coins. You spend $15 a shot on a real coin which is likely to disappear rather quickly. Sending out a laminated coin makes sense to me.

As someone who finds coins of course I like to find the real coins to look at how it was made and so forth but I will move along one of the laminated ones as well. It makes no difference to me. It wants to travel so it shall travel.

I'd rather help the coin owner along so that there continues to be at least some form of trackable in a cache that someone else can discover and move along.

I concur with those who feel that if you don't want anything to do with a "fake" coin then just leave it in the cache.

That being said I do feel bad for all those who have lost their real coins. I think my first one only passed to one person before it dissappeared. I might send one out once a year if even that many because of that initial experience. My TBs have a little better track record.

I do think it might help to have something on the cache insert or on the printout sent with a TB about leaving TBs and coins in the cache for other geocachers pick up and move from cache to cache. Might be better for newbies and muggles ( who are encouaged by the cache insert to help themselves to something in the cache for trade)to inform them of the coin and TB's purpose.

That said, I think the entire concept is silly. If you don't want your coin stolen, don't release it. If you want it to travel then send it on its way and see where fate takes it.

If I find these things I don't log them. I didn't find the geocoin and I'm not logging a piece of cardboard.

That's my opinion as well. If I see them I leave them. If it's a 'real' trackable I'll move it along.

I bear no ill will towards people who play the game differently than I do. But I view virtual or proxy geocoins as a bit too similar to armchair geocaching for my tastes. Pretending that a geocoin visited different places seems odd to me. I like the romance of trackables, and it seems to suck something vital out of the endeavor.

People said the same thing when paper money first came out. :laughing:

I'd like to see pennies, nickles and dimes removed from the currency, and have everything rounded to the nearest quarter. They should also do away with the paper $1, and $5 and only make them in coins. They then could put the serial # on the coins, and yall can track them on the Wheres George site instead. :)

I don't see any point in giving geocoins away to those that steal them, which is where they end up anyhow. :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I'd like to see pennies, nickles and dimes removed from the currency, and have everything rounded to the nearest quarter. They should also do away with the paper $1, and $5 and only make them in coins. They then could put the serial # on the coins, and yall can track them on the Wheres George site instead. :)

I don't see any point in giving geocoins away to those that steal them, which is where they end up anyhow. :D

Kinda hard on the gum machine industry.

It's your game to play how you want. If it doesn't bother you then go ahead.

My opinion fwiw:

If a TB or coin has gone missing then I will log and move it's laminated replica. If it's never left the owner's hand I don't bother. If you want to collect coins, collect them. Travelers are meant to travel, if they haven't then they don't get mileage.

I LOVE moving coins, love looking at them and love the feel of holding them. I even think on the surface that the paper replica sounds a bit cheesy. But as someone that can only account for TWO trackables out of about 40 released in my five years, I COMPLETELY understand. I've accumulated a couple of dozen new coins over the months and releasing them makes me nervous that I'll never see them again. I know some of you say loss is part of the game and the cost is nothing. Maybe, maybe not. But I am generally speaking, not in the habit of dropping 10 dollar bills into the wind.

If you don't want your coin stolen, don't release it. If you want it to travel then send it on its way and see where fate takes it.

What if we want both? I have held onto my personal coins for now, but whenever I get the time I would like to make a decent replica (I finally have a use for some of my POGs!) and send that out. I get to keep and admire the original coin, and share it at events and on my travels. I can also see it travel from cache to cache, and if it does disappear I can replace it.

The first replica I found I was slightly disappointed in(mainly because the original was a Suncatcher) but I move any trackable regardless. If you don't like them I understand that and as long as you don't go out of your way to destroy them then I'm good with that.

Kinda hard on the gum machine industry.

Dental also, but most of those machines take quarters anyhow. :)

That's my opinion as well. If I see them I leave them. If it's a 'real' trackable I'll move it along.

If it has a valid tracking number and page then it is a 'real' trackable...

It is however, not a 'real' geocoin. How would you feel about someone adding a TB tag (a copy of a real one and adding the tracking number to that... They already have a valid number and a TB reference... You can add a TB tracking number to anything as a replacement... as mentioned in the reference to homemade items..

You would not need a 'real' TB tag complete with a new number.

Doug 7rxc

That's because it is wrong, at least to me. Part of what makes geocoins so special is the risks they take out in the wild. It takes a considerable amount of courage to turn loose something you've just spent $20 on, knowing it may disappear at any time. The heft and feel of a real coin is far more satisfying to me than any icon I might get by logging it. I will happily assist in the mission of any real coin I find, but I won't touch a scrap of paper pretending to be a geocoin.

I have seen these "proxy" coins in caches before and I will generally look at them and leave them there. Sometimes, I don't even know they're in a cache because they will look like a business card or some other type of advertisement that I am not interested in looking at when I open the cache.

I cache both with and without my kids. I like to take the cool coins or TB's I find in the caches home so my kids can see them. I know they wouldn't want to see a laminated copy of a coin no matter how cool the image was or is.

In general, I don't take or move along many coins or TB's that I find or discover. I don't log them as discovered unless my kids find one that they like and want to move along later because they found it.

I know that there are people out there that do go to specific caches to find and move along these items, but that's not my game and it really doesn't bother me what people want to do with their trackable items.

I know that I would be bummed if I bought something, released it, and then it went missing right away but I think I would probably buy two coins so that I could keep one and release one into the wild. I also think that I would drill a hole in it and attach a note to it with it's goals. I think that people wouldn't want to keep a damaged coin as much as a mint coin and would probably keep it on it's mission a little better but I really don't know.

edited for spelling

Edited by ao318

Personally I went to this cache to specifically grab this coin. I love coins and want to feel them and see them, AND share in their travel history. I seek caches out specifically that have them.

It was a disappointment to learn all that was there was a paper copy.

The other thing is the logs are NOT real also. For example when a copy goes missing, the owner just releases a new copy – so in fact what you are holding is often something that HAS NOT traveled (according to the logs). It has not been to all those places just a representative of a tracking number that may or may not have been there. It’s fake, that’s all there is too it. Fake – I won’t move them now, and encourage others to let them sit.

I think geocaching.com should outlaw them, or at a min – give us a flag so we know they are doppelgangers

Edited by Pokerfart

I have a couple of proxies out there. All of them were crafted with something of substance attached along with a fair replica of the coin. All of them were released at least 1 year after the date the real coin went missing/stolen. All of them plainly state they are proxies in the titles so no one who can read should get confused that they are hunting a real coin.

I'm not going to let a coin thief steal the pleasure of watching my travelers move. I've done my part, I've released the real thing and have watched it die. Now I am reviving it so I don't let the few bad apples spoil it for the rest. If you move it or discover it, you get to keep the icon. If you don't like it - sorry but it isn't up to you to decide what I do with MY travelers.

If you choose to move it, I thank you for helping us keep our traveler alive.

Geocoins are meant to be enjoyed by those who find them and I would definitely not enjoy the coin as much if it was just a picture. I completely understand why someone would not want to send their coins out just to inevitably disappear someday. I don't own any geocoins mostly because I would hate to see them go missing which is way too common. Now the standard TB dogtags on the other hand are meant strictly to be used to attach to something and there is no real enjoyment in just looking at the tags (those new fancy picture TB's being the exception) so I see nothing wrong with taking the number and placing it on a custom made traveler. The only thing is that when I look in a cache, the dog tag sticks out instantly and I will likely grab it to move it along. If the number is just written/ engraved on a custom item I might pass it over as swag and not know it is a TB.

Personally I went to this cache to specifically grab this coin. I love coins and want to feel them and see them, AND share in their travel history. I seek caches out specifically that have them.

It was a disappointment to learn all that was there was a paper copy.

The other thing is the logs are NOT real also. For example when a copy goes missing, the owner just releases a new copy – so in fact what you are holding is often something that HAS NOT traveled (according to the logs). It has not been to all those places just a representative of a tracking number that may or may not have been there. It’s fake, that’s all there is too it. Fake – I won’t move them now, and encourage others to let them sit.

I think geocaching.com should outlaw them, or at a min – give us a flag so we know they are doppelgangers

have you bought any coins to love and feel them and release them to be stolen?

proxies are for those people who don't mind finding them or discovering them or helping them move along or are for folks that like icons. you don't want to play that way, fine, but don't tell others how to play the game. it isn't your call.

i am not donating any coins to coin thieves, i am not buying duplicates of coins so i can donate them to coin thieves and if i want to release proxies, that is my business.

i think you should spend several hundred dollars on coins and drop them into caches to travel so others may love and feel them, and oh yes, probably steal them.

rsg

Just stay away from the proxies, we'll all be happier that way. And I'll do you one better: I'll only move proxy coins from now on to counteract your tough guy stance on trackables. Deal?

More rules... seriously? Good gosh. It's a game folks... not a professional sport.

Just stay away from the proxies, we'll all be happier that way. And I'll do you one better: I'll only move proxy coins from now on to counteract your tough guy stance on trackables. Deal?

More rules... seriously? Good gosh. It's a game folks... not a professional sport.

You'll now only move proxies? now, please dont go down the negative path here, lets all not become jerks as too often happen on forms.

I'm just trying to have a discussion on this subject. Aside from my other points, I'm also an artist and software developer. I've had TOO much of my work stolen and/or copied without my consent, that I received no compension for and/or knowlede. I am sensative to people making copies of copyrighted material. The manufacture of these coins sold a piece of art, andd these proxy are a copy - is it legal?. The manufacture paid for the coin to be registered, manufactured and specificly tagged, and these proxies are a copy of that. Again it all just feels wrong.

You'll now only move proxies? now, please dont go down the negative path here, lets all not become jerks as too often happen on forms.

I'm just trying to have a discussion on this subject. Aside from my other points, I'm also an artist and software developer. I've had TOO much of my work stolen and/or copied without my consent, that I received no compension for and/or knowlede. I am sensative to people making copies of copyrighted material. The manufacture of these coins sold a piece of art, andd these proxy are a copy - is it legal?. The manufacture paid for the coin to be registered, manufactured and specificly tagged, and these proxies are a copy of that. Again it all just feels wrong.

then, as others have suggested, don't have anything to do with proxies. simple. you can argue all you want, but you aren't going to change anyone's way of thinking and you are not going to change your way of thinking so the whole argument is specious.

rsg

Sorry, but you took this down the negative path a long while back with your insistence on how bad these proxy coins are.

The thing is, it's not even your stance on proxy coins that makes me angry. I could care less, and I actually agree that coins that are proxies should indeed state that they are proxies in their description so that folks know what to expect when they get to the cache that they're in.

What makes me angry is the fact that you have come across so arrogant in the fact that you think you should be able to tell people how to play this game. You want to introduce new rules so things go your way. Geocaching is simple, and fun. And for it to remain that way, you need to stop taking it so seriously, and if there's an aspect of it that you don't like, simply do not partake. But don't try to tell others how to do their thing, simply because you don't like it.

It certainly is a shame that so many Geocoins get stolen.

I can understand someone wanting to send out a 'copy' of a geocoin so that the real one doesn't get stolen, but at the same time I won't move them along. I personally have no problem with someone placing a proxy coin. They just don't hold any interest for me.

Geocoins command a certain amount of respect from me. Partly because the coin owner knows that the coin is at risk. Because of that, I keep GCs and TBs that I have picked up setting in front of my computer monitor to remind me that they belong in a cache and not in my possession. I respect them and try to place them quickly and well. Proxy coins just don't seem worth the trouble, at least for me.

Edited by u.rusty

I have a couple of proxies out there. All of them were crafted with something of substance attached along with a fair replica of the coin. All of them were released at least 1 year after the date the real coin went missing/stolen. All of them plainly state they are proxies in the titles so no one who can read should get confused that they are hunting a real coin.

I'm not going to let a coin thief steal the pleasure of watching my travelers move. I've done my part, I've released the real thing and have watched it die. Now I am reviving it so I don't let the few bad apples spoil it for the rest. If you move it or discover it, you get to keep the icon. If you don't like it - sorry but it isn't up to you to decide what I do with MY travelers.

If you choose to move it, I thank you for helping us keep our traveler alive.

Exactly my feelings too. :laughing:

My game plan is the same - I release a proxy/replacement item after the real coin has been missing for at least a year. My difference is that I don't even try to copy the original coin but I use some item(s) to represent it - in effect it becomes a TB with a unique icon.

A couple released recently:

"Time for tea and geocaching (proxy item)"

"Piskey's Piscean Proxy geonote (No longer a geocoin)"

MrsB

:yikes: Heehee :yikes: ..... I love the sense of entitlement some people feel at having to meet their expectation for finding the coin they've set their eye on and even bringing in their children's disappointment to underscore the fact. Kids are resilient and get over stuff pretty quickly and it's something adults could learn from them. :laughing:

Pokerfart I empathise with your bad feelings at not getting what you set out to get but these are YOUR feelings and for you to deal with and get over. By changing the rules on Proxies you won't be shielded and protected from being disappointed again in some other way. You can legislate against that new disappointment also but there will always be something else to push your buttons..... it's a never ending cycle and a hell to bear. I'm sorry for you that you've chosen this one to drive yourself nutty about. :laughing:

Here's another disappointment... coins that aren't logged out of caches when you reach them expecting to handle and fondle them..... :laughing: WAAAAAAHHHHHH :laughing: ..... or worse the cache has been muggled, disabled or archived before you could even grab a smiley..... :D WAAAAAAAHHHHHHH B) ..... or even better as you get to the location you find the cache after seeing a happy person with a gps walking away and discover from their log they grabbed the coin before you could....... B) WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH B) . Or you could get a flat tire on the way to the cache site or be held up by an accident on the way forcing you to change your route and skip this cache..... the point is you've created this hell for yourself over what someone else did or didn't do that had nothing to do with you. :laughing:

Personally I agree that Proxies ought to be named as such so the expectant coin fondler is at least forewarned, but there still won't be any guarantee the sucker will be there even if you find the cache!! :laughing::laughing:

Edit to add: I'm glad Proxy haters won't touch or move them so icon hos like me have a better chance of at least grabbing the icon when the likelihood of the coin actually being there as advertised is next to nil.

Edited by Droo
What if we want both?

I would like to make a decent replica and send that out.

I get to keep and admire the original coin, and share it at events and on my travels.

I can also see it travel from cache to cache.

I would advise proceeding with caution on that idea

I believe that Groundspeak considers it to be "double dipping"

there are reports of trackables getting locked that are abused in this manner

as I understand it, the policy is "one code, one use"

I've never really thought about the icons or the number of trackables I've moved. I see them and I pick them up and move them. I less inclined to move items which do not have geocaching.com tracking numbers, but I have done and will do again.

The only way I see it is someone put something out there in the Game and would kindly like other players of the game to move it around for them. Whether it's the original issue or not never entered my mind. I moves 'em along.

I wonder why I keep buying geocoins, since I'm not inclined to send any more out into the world to be stolen. It's not that interesting to me to see one move once or twice and then go missing, just for some utter jerk to fill their collection with ill-gotten items - I'm not referring to muggles here. It's a reality and a shame that the game has thieves in it, if it hadn't I would have many more geocoins on the move - but I'm not going to fund someone's personal hoard.

I have released three geocoin proxies into the wild...

All three of them were handmade approximations of the real coin, made with shrinky dink so that they have some substance to them.

If you consider these proxies (with proxy in the title) as the real coin then you will be disappointed. If however you consider them as a handmade, decorative object in their own right then you will not be. The difference between these and the originals? These are lighter, and have a bit more character. After all, if I tried to copy one of them again, it would still come out slightly different.

Don't like them, don't move them.

Don't care, then move them or not as you wish.

I never go after caches just because there is a trackable in there because in my experience they could have been picked up and not logged, earlier that same day. It happens, I don't worry about it.

But then I don't go after FTFs either because I'm not bothered...

So, we don't all play the game the same way, but the important thing is to enjoy yourself doing it, not worry about how other people are playing.

Z.