Duplicate Tags or Cheaper Travel Bugs

Bryan

Here is a poll (with preface) for Travel Bug Lovers:

Currently, Travel Bugs come with a copy tag. Producing these duplicate tags adds an additional cost to the bugs that may or may not be necessary.

In the future, would you be willing to forego the copy tags and pay less for Travel Bugs or would you rather pay for the duplicate tags too?

Also, if you have a suggestion for a new Travel Bug design, let's hear it please...

Thanks.

Rothstafari

www.Groundspeak.com

I voted for not needing the duplicates, but I also think there's not really any reason to change. I don't think having singles would do anything significant to the price and it's a good, tangible record of what your TB number is. I also like the design just the way it is.

I voted for keeping the copy tag, but only because the bug owner still seems to need to know his 6-digit code to grab the bug when (not if) it goes missing. If the TB logging page were changed to not require this information of the bug's owner, I'd have no problem with not having a copy tag.

warm.gif

I voted for "it's fine right now". I'm holding on to the copies, so that if and when a bug goes AWOL, I can either reproduce it and put it back in service, or I can just start a "new" bug -- they indicate it's not "illegal" to use the copy tag on another bug. So, I figure I'll eventually get two uses for the money, and I buy them in 8's, so that is less than two bucks a pop by the time I use all 16 tags. I also write the name of the bug on the little mini envelope, which has the tracking number. Keeps it simple. These things are so fun, I'm only in my 3rd month of doing this and need a new set of 8 already! icon_biggrin.gif

p.s. the copy really can come in handy ... we had an event cache travel bug in hand for an event here in May, and I put it in its box to ship back to Dallas, but had not sealed and addressed it, and hubby accidentally threw it in the trash! And of course it was trash day ... I wrote the owner and bought him a new thing-a-ma-bob and mailed it, and he is now using the copy tag on Jar Jar's twin brother.

Happy Trails,

Candy

Candy (moosiegirl)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

I voted for "it's fine right now". I'm holding on to the copies, so that if and when a bug goes AWOL, I can either reproduce it and put it back in service, or I can just start a "new" bug -- they indicate it's not "illegal" to use the copy tag on another bug. So, I figure I'll eventually get two uses for the money, and I buy them in 8's, so that is less than two bucks a pop by the time I use all 16 tags. I also write the name of the bug on the little mini envelope, which has the tracking number. Keeps it simple. These things are so fun, I'm only in my 3rd month of doing this and need a new set of 8 already! icon_biggrin.gif

p.s. the copy really can come in handy ... we had an event cache travel bug in hand for an event here in May, and I put it in its box to ship back to Dallas, but had not sealed and addressed it, and hubby accidentally threw it in the trash! And of course it was trash day ... I wrote the owner and bought him a new thing-a-ma-bob and mailed it, and he is now using the copy tag on Jar Jar's twin brother.

Happy Trails,

Candy

Candy (moosiegirl)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

I agree that it doesn't really matter to me whether or not I have a copy tag....as for design though I would like to see clearer directions for logging written on the tag.

I agree with Ttepee. I imagine the "copy" tag is pretty cheap to make (it's the set-up changes in between stampings that tend to add costs to things like these).

But I would DEFINITELY like to see more explicit "How to log your find of this Travel Bug" instructions printed on the back of the tag. It seems redundant that we need to add an extra instruction tag to our travel bugs to help keep them from going AWOL. If we have to do that, we might as we do away with the physical aluminum tags we purchase from Groundspeak, and pay a much lower price for just a tracking number (with corresponding activation code) sent via e-mail. Then we could just include the number on our own custom tag, and save the costs of making the aluminum tags and having them shipped via snail mail.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

NOTE: I am NOT a regular trade item! If you are willing to move me to a new cache, please do the following:

1. Go to www.geocaching.com, and sign on with your user name.

(Not registered? It’s free!)

2. Click on “TRACK TRAVEL BUGS” from the list at the left.

3. Enter the tag number in the field below the barcoded spider, and click the arrow.

4. Click on the words “read how to use a travel bug” and follow the instructions.

When I send out a bug I include a card with it's name, my email address and among other stuff the text:

If you take this item, please log it out at www.Groundspeak.com or at www.geocaching.com/track. Please help this travel bug reach its goal by placing it in another cache as soon as possible.

So far I've only had one bug (of three) go AWOL and that seems to be because the cacher doesn't play anymore. He did log it out of the website and it shows in his possesion. Since then he hasn't hit any other caches. In case you're wondering repeated emails to him go unanswered.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Jeremy,

I think there also needs to be a line telling cachers what to do when they put the travel bug in a new cache (something like:

"When you put travel bug in new cache select travel bug at bottom of cache log.")

I looked at forum threads before I picked up my first bugs and before I released my first bugs to see what to do, what problems could arise, and how to fix them.

One of my 2 bugs was picked up by an experienced cacher, but one who had never picked up a travel bug before. He mentioned the bug (and its number) in the cache log and he logged out the bug from the cache (using the travel bug page), but didn't log the bug in to the new cache he put it into.

Until you own a bug, you don't see the travel bug bit at the bottom of logs you enter. Maybe he didn't realize you have to enter a log from the travel bug page when you pick up a bug AND check off the bug from the cache log entry when you drop off a bug in a new cache.

MapLady

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

I voted for keeping the copy tag, but only because the bug owner still seems to need to know his 6-digit code to grab the bug when (not if) it goes missing. If the TB logging page were changed to not require this information of the bug's owner, I'd have no problem with not having a copy tag.

Get rid of the need for the owner to keep reentering the number and get rid of the copy. Also ditto on giving clear and simple instruction on tag for logging grabs and releases.

Worldtraveler

I like the duplicate tags. What would actually be the difference with vs. without? I can't imagine it would cost a whole lot more.

In any case to say that you don't like the duplicate tags because they take up room in you drawer isn't a good reason to get rid of them. Ever hear of a thing called the 'garbage can'. If you don't want the duplicate - toss it. icon_rolleyes.gif

If the expense is so much different, then why not have a bunch made up without duplicates and sell them to those who are so cost conscious.

WJJagFan

I like the duplicate tags. What would actually be the difference with vs. without? I can't imagine it would cost a whole lot more.

In any case to say that you don't like the duplicate tags because they take up room in you drawer isn't a good reason to get rid of them. Ever hear of a thing called the 'garbage can'. If you don't want the duplicate - toss it. icon_rolleyes.gif

If the expense is so much different, then why not have a bunch made up without duplicates and sell them to those who are so cost conscious.

WJJagFan

Although I have only one travel bug (Travel Dawg) I think having the copy on my key ring is neat. I like the idea that when I place my own cache (soon) I will put a couple of TB's in it and have those copies as well. I vote for keeping - they are inexpensive now - can't think of much else that is as inexpensive as this hobby, compared to other outdoor hobbies...HAPPY CACHING icon_razz.gif

Although I have only one travel bug (Travel Dawg) I think having the copy on my key ring is neat. I like the idea that when I place my own cache (soon) I will put a couple of TB's in it and have those copies as well. I vote for keeping - they are inexpensive now - can't think of much else that is as inexpensive as this hobby, compared to other outdoor hobbies...HAPPY CACHING icon_razz.gif

Do we know how much not having a duplicate tag would save? I like the duplicate tag, but I kept the little envelope they came in to and wrote down when and where I released my TBs.

I sent one TB out with nothing but his TB tag, and 3 with a 2-sided piece of paper in the baggie with them. Once side has the how-to for travel bugs the other the bugs mission page. I will see how that works.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

I can see the need to make the instructions more clear. If anyone wants to take a stab at it, feel free. Text needs to be small enough to fit but large enough to read.

I don't think you can possibly fit all that should be mentioned on the tags, so here's my suggestion...

"Taking this Travel Bug comes with special responsibilities. Please, view them at

www.Groundspeak.com/tbe before taking this."

TBE = Travel Bug Etiquette

--- Two paths diverged in a wood, and my... my GPSr pointed dead center between them. ---

People have good arguments either way. What I would like to see is a clearer way for people who place bugs with definite travel plans to include that with the bug. I have picked up bugs that had certain travel goals I didn't know about when I grabbed it. I've read logs that indicate other people have often done the same. It's too late by the time you get home and read the bug's plans. Also, I find it confusing that there is a second tracking number which doesn't seem to have a purpose. The number on the tag does everything so what is the other number listed on the page used for?

quote:
Originally posted by YukonShadow:

I find it confusing that there is a second tracking number which doesn't seem to have a purpose. The number on the tag does everything so what is the other number listed on the page used for?

The tracking number on the tag is not supposed to be publicized, and acts as the 'secret code' to allow only those who've actually handled the travel bug to 'grab' it, or add logs to its page.

The other alpha-numeric reference number that begins with 'TB' is the one which should be used whenever referencing the travel bug in cache logs or the discussion forums. It's searchable for watching the bug, but doesn't allow you access to grabbing or logging it.

quote:
It's too late by the time you get home and read the bug's plans.
I guess, so long as the bug gets back into a cache soon, a slight hiccup won't matter all that much, and some movement may be better than none, but there are a few other options for avoiding that situation:

First, if a bug's goal is really important then, ideally, it would be accompanied by a label with that goal written on it.

Second, if the bug has been logged in the cache long enough for its link to appear on the cache page, then the cache hunter can read about the bug in advance, before going on the hunt.

Third, folks leaving a bug in a cache could record that bug's goal in the cache logbook so that later visitors can read them.

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

Design:

I REALLY like the scarab/barcode design of the bug itself. Whoever drew that or came up with the concept deserves some applause:

Beadstring:

I agree with the (widely-held?) opinion that the metal beadstring thing might not be the best hardware to use. It might be the most cost-effective for the organization, though, so I can certainly respect that. I myself replace the beadstring with zipties - this is not difficult to do, so I can just keep doing that.

Text:

I think a casual cacher who has never seen a TB in the wild might get confused as to what is "Groundspeak" when they are out geocaching; the stashnote is about geocaching and makes no mention of bugs; and the container is often labeled a geocache. Can the tags just refer to geocaching.com and not Groundspeak.com at all?

-----

froggy.gif You must be present to win.

I like Zuck's suggestion above, but just use this much of it:

quote:

Please move me to a new cache ASAP!

1. Log onto www.geocaching.com.

2. Click on “TRACK TRAVEL BUGS”.

The tag itself needs to be VERY concise, so I suggest getting verbose at the "track TBs" page.

Perhaps some of these ideas would work:

• have a "login" dialog box at the top?

• give the section on "Q. What do I do if I find a Travel Bug?" MORE prominence by placing it much closer to the top (visible at first glance - no need to scroll)
  • make the answer to that question much more detailed

-----

froggy.gif You must be present to win.

I have several bugs and keep all of the copy tags on a chain with the name written on each.. I get several people that have asked for the number and this makes it handy!

I also have two known missing bugs and have plans on using the copy tags to put a new bug into play again!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Just a Short walk" Says....

If You plant a cache they will come.....

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

give the section on "Q. What do I do if I find a Travel Bug?" MORE prominence by placing it much closer to the top (visible at first glance - no need to scroll)

I think this is a great idea. That page really should have some kind of finder's instructions above the fold. The "latest sightings" section could be moved down to compensate.

Another suggestion would be to make the textbox (where you type in the bug's tracking number) actually look like one of the dog tags.

I do think the TB page in geocaching.com might be a bit overwhelming to first-time users. I recently changed the text of our TB instruction tags to point to Groundspeak.com instead of geocaching.com. The Groundspeak front page is a lot less cluttered than the main TB tracking page on the geocaching site. The big, bold "Found a Travel Bug?" text in the middle of the page quickly tells new users what to do.

But, like the others, I'd really rather point people to the geocaching site, because someone finding my TB is more likely to have heard of "geocaching" than of Groundspeak.

Colleen

[This message was edited by Team Dralasites on June 20, 2002 at 05:08 PM.]

I like to retain the tag copy for reference, etc. and would like to see it continued. The copies hang around the neck of a 'clone' of our 1st TB for easy access & souvenirs of all of our TB's. The price for the tags seems reasonable & I don't think a cheaper TB is warranted as it could release many, many more that people wouldn't care that much about. If there was a travel bug in every cache it would somehow 'cheapen' them for me.

Capt. Jack