Crown Land Caches

tattooedandpierced

Good evening all, just wanted to mention that hunting season is upon us, like it or not, and the majority of crown lands allow hunting. Just a heads up to consider your safety when getting out there searching for treasure.

Good point. Presumably your are in Canada (based on the use of "Crown Land"). We realy don't have many shooting related hunting accidents here, so don't get too worried. Virtualy all shooting related hunting accidents in Canada are Americans who think they can knock off their spouse/freind in Canada and get away with it. (Seriously, no joke).

I picked up a copy of the provincial hunting regulations so I could figure out who would be shooting where and when.

Starting this time of fall, both MacKenzie and I wear our orange vests anytime we're out walking not in town.

For those of you with dogs, I picked up one of the 'one size fits all' orange vests at W/M and modified it into a neat vest for the dog. The back portion was shortened to fit him, the side adjustment straps were removed and the front two panels were re-cut to go around his chest. I took the extra material and made a strap that velcros under his tummy and added velcro to the front panels.

It also makes him standout in the bush so I can see him - fall leaves and a sable collie blend well :laughing:

I tried this in Ontario, but results may be the same in other places:

Try, you just try to find out, on the provincial government website, deep in all the hunting this-and-that, the answer to a simple stupid question: What dates should I wear bright colors in the woods?

Good luck. Maybe an active hunter could tell you, but the Ontario website sure won't. (Are you hunting for grouse? No, I'm avoiding grouse bullets. Okay, on to Moose....)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Check out GEOCACHER season! :laughing:

I'm impressed that the yanks have done away with hunting season altogether... so they don't have to be cautioned... especially by Canadians...

edit: I was reminded that this was moved over because they actually had the revolutionary idea of doing away with Crown Land in the mid 1770's... not hunting seasons...

Since I moved out from Ontario, I don't remember seeing ANY hunters out here wearing Bright Colours.

Just various camo outfits... I wonder who they are hiding from anyway...

Since most areas of the country have some sort of hunting season almost year round, I think ANYTIME is a good time to be visible in the bush... but that is the SAR in me talking... deep down I am not really comfortable marking myself as a visible target... THAT is the military side...

Now maybe if we required caches (especially micros) to be painted flourescent orange etc...

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

I tried this in Ontario, but results may be the same in other places:

Try, you just try to find out, on the provincial government website, deep in all the hunting this-and-that, the answer to a simple stupid question: What dates should I wear bright colors in the woods?

Good luck. Maybe an active hunter could tell you, but the Ontario website sure won't. (Are you hunting for grouse? No, I'm avoiding grouse bullets. Okay, on to Moose....)

Different species, different WMU's = various dates for "hunting" season(s):

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/FW/Pu...R_E001275P.html

And it's not just Crown Land here in Ontario where hunting takes place.

Since most areas of the country have some sort of hunting season almost year round, I think ANYTIME is a good time to be visible in the bush... but that is the SAR in me talking...

I agree completely! Pretty much all of the year is "something" hunting season.

And wearing visible clothing does make the Search & Rescue team job's much easier :unsure: I'd rather say "hey, I see him, he's on that hill over there" than "wait, I stepped on something, no, someone... wow, that's some good camo! :unsure:

I haven't been hunting in over 10 years, but when I did, there is the approx dates for Alberta

Bow season: Late August

Gun season: Early Sep.- November 30

Spring Bear: Can't remember

Then there are occasionaly other short duration population control hunts that may happen.

And again, it is not just crown land. It is all land other than national parks etc.

Of course most of the Seasons mentioned are for game / trophy type hunting... Like I said earlier...

there are 'seasons' for non game species. In Ontario we used to hunt for 'varmints' in the summer.

Groundhogs, crows, the occasional 'brush wolf' (coyote like) and the occasional nuisance DOG that was harassing cattle. This required a summer licence of course and was restricted to farmlands. There were of course local bylaw restrictions in those days. Certain areas were closed due to habitation by cottagers etc. and the Province had the Lords Day act that closed hunting on Sunday at that time. Rural residents got used to always expecting someone to be shooting at something... carefully of course! And most made themselves visible to others at all times. I expect things are much the same today, season and regulations change though. One of my hunting areas is now Downtown, not out in the sticks.

To Landsharks... That is a nice container... OLIN? or other. I was mostly kidding, (bad eyesight these days), but I do like those orange match containers on occasion. sigh! I recently dug out my old cave photography box...

a flourescent orange 50 cal box. Still in good shape after years dragging through many caves in the States.

Never lost a camera or flash though. Although it was lucky it started out orange, since it did not stay that way long. Reminded me that I never payed more than a dollar for one either!

Doug 7rxc

A 30 cal ammo can with a cool ORANGE marine grade container!

58103_437994826242_38520581242_5324081_4227092_n.jpg

That's either the biggest matchstick container I've ever seen or the smallest ammo can I've ever seen.

Looks like the emergency kit in my boat. A great container - I might keep an eye out for these as they are very waterproof :ph34r:

Of course most of the Seasons mentioned are for game / trophy type hunting... Like I said earlier...

there are 'seasons' for non game species. In Ontario we used to hunt for 'varmints' in the summer.

Groundhogs, crows, the occasional 'brush wolf' (coyote like) and the occasional nuisance DOG that was harassing cattle. This required a summer licence of course and was restricted to farmlands. There were of course local bylaw restrictions in those days. Certain areas were closed due to habitation by cottagers etc. and the Province had the Lords Day act that closed hunting on Sunday at that time. Rural residents got used to always expecting someone to be shooting at something... carefully of course! And most made themselves visible to others at all times. I expect things are much the same today, season and regulations change though. One of my hunting areas is now Downtown, not out in the sticks.

The moose, deer, and bear seasons get the "publicity", but there's seasons for pheasant, rabbit, squirrel, turtles, etc:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/gr...ment/239852.pdf

One has to pay attention, too, to local municipalities' by-laws regarding hunting. The Simcoe County Forests permit hunting (generally speaking), and that's where we have met up with hunters. And not in the fall.

Some provincial parks also allow hunting.

As was said previously....it's a good idea to be highly visible at all times of the year.

Here in Alberta all the bird seasons are enclosed in the time line that I had previously mentioned. Coyote season streaches to the end of December, but in reality, farmers will shoot those any time they see one. Also farmeres can get special permits to shoon nuisance deer or bear anytime. Oh and we don't have rabbit, squirrel, turtles seasons. Rabbit and squirrel can be shot anytime, we realy don't have turtles here. But I dont think you are realy at rist of getting shot by a rabbit hunter.

Here in Nova Scotia crown land isnt the only wods you can hunt in. basically you can hunt anywhere not posted (no quite there are other regulations) but from oct1 till feb hunters orange is a good idea. Big game season isnt that long but there are more people out with guns. Its better to be seen than just heard. I've heard stories of people shooting a bush cause it made a sound...hopefully it wasnt saying "woohooo FTF!"

that is cute, you need to position his hat a bit better :)

Well, it was just a 'sketch'... I didn't want to deface the GS Image too much... Sig is sensitive about appearance you know... Must have the profile image... just think of it as tipped back casually. I couldn't find my file of

GPSrs... I'm housecleaning and organizing the banks... stuff has move all over waiting to resort.

I also think it could look a bit better if the cap was over the left (Signals) brow... I may do one as flourescent Green... wouldn't want our frog to be mistaken for a Pumpkin later in the month.

Doug 7rxc

I was out pheasant hunting on Friday. As they are not native (and have >80% winter kill), they are released for hunting (on Fridays). I would not want to be out geocaching anywhere near one of the release sites on a Friday. I think you would be in some danger. That said, probably 60% of the hunters were not wearing orange, but either camo or brown. Doesn't seem too smart, but so far they haven't been shot...

I was out pheasant hunting on Friday. As they are not native (and have >80% winter kill), they are released for hunting (on Fridays). I would not want to be out geocaching anywhere near one of the release sites on a Friday. I think you would be in some danger. That said, probably 60% of the hunters were not wearing orange, but either camo or brown. Doesn't seem too smart, but so far they haven't been shot...

Will be interesting to see what they shoot at... I hear the government there is planning to pull funding for the release program... or more likely try to fund it with user fees via licence fee hikes etc. As long as it's not replaced with a Geocacher season...

Doug 7rxc

...Since I moved out from Ontario, I don't remember seeing ANY hunters out here wearing Bright Colours.

Just various camo outfits... I wonder who they are hiding from anyway...

Too true! I was out phesent hunting and was wondering the same thing. Even deer etc. are colour blind, so your ornge etc. isn't an issue. If you realy think it is, you can get ornge camo.