what are the most remote caches in north Jersey?

Fusilli Jerry

What are the most remote caches in our area?

Ok, folks from other states probably think using the term "remote" and Jersey in the same sentence is an oxymoron. But those of you from north Jersey probably know what I mean. It's all about context my friends. :)

By remote, I mean the longest minimum hike from the closest parking spot, not necessarily the most difficult terrain rating. If the cache is both remote and difficult then all the better. For the purposes of this inquiry, I'd exclude any caches that require climbing equipment and such.

I haven't attempted this one yet, but maybe it qualifies. Middle'aNowhere (GCG0D1). It's name sure sounds remote anyway.

I have been sticking mostly south of Rte 23 so far but I figure there are some long hikes in the Ramapos and Newark Watershed. I'm hoping to do more hiking north of Rte 23 as the Autumn progresses.

Of the caches I have found, I'd say Old Stone (GC1W5VJ) was probably the most remote. It was just short of 10 miles round trip from the Splitrock parking lot. In retrospect, there may be a shorter approach but I wasn't aware of it until later.

Lots of places you can take long hikes. Some great caches in Worthington. Or you could do the loop at Terrace Pond in Wawayanda. Hee hee hee. NWCDC both above Rte 23 and below. Nice caches and trails in Stokes and High Point. But most of those hikes are as long as you want to make them. You can do two miles, or you can do ten. Check out the Great Loop Hikes thread. That maniac polskikrol will show you some great 17 mile hikes!

Lots of places you can take long hikes. Some great caches in Worthington. Or you could do the loop at Terrace Pond in Wawayanda. Hee hee hee. NWCDC both above Rte 23 and below. Nice caches and trails in Stokes and High Point. But most of those hikes are as long as you want to make them. You can do two miles, or you can do ten. Check out the Great Loop Hikes thread. That maniac polskikrol will show you some great 17 mile hikes!

Let me know what you are looking for and I can suggest quite a nice loop hike :laughing:

@Packanack: Wow the "da\/|ds0n c^chE" is exactly the kind of example I'm looking for. No short way to get there on foot. Is parking at the Ramapo Reservation the most sensible place or is there another good option?

While I do 99% of my caching solo, that might be one where I'd try to go with a partner. Growing up in Pompton Lakes, I still have all the urban legends about that area deeply ingrained in my mind.

@Harry: Regarding the Terrace Pond caches, I had a chuckle. I used to hike up there a bunch in the 90's before geocaching. I checked it out and I see there's several high terrain rated caches up there including "GC5" which looks like a good example of middle of nowhere indeed.

I know I can do a PQ for terrain 4+ caches and probably find the most likely candidates that way but I thought it might be fun to throw it out there for dicussion and examples.

@All: Hope to meet many of you this weekend at GONE. I'll be there with the whole Fusilli family. If the weather is good, we'll be camping Friday and Sunday. The group area is tent only but we have a pop-up camper so we'll get another site.

Davidson cache is an awesome hike from the Ramapo lot. This time of year with the leaves changing makes it that much better.

I haven't attempted this one yet, but maybe it qualifies. Middle'aNowhere (GCG0D1). It's name sure sounds remote anyway.

As for 'Middle'aNowhere' (Team Magsters caches), I'd think twice before attempting one of theirs, they quit the game a few years and have apparently decided to abandon their caches.

I think you should do the Davidson. An enigma wrapped in a conundrum. You know that each step you take beyond the Den is going to be observed, you will feel the eyes upon you but you won't ever see your observers--but you will know they are there. And while you walk you will ponder : Am I safe, will I do anything to offend my watchers. The quiet will become disquieting. Your nerves will get the better of you, causing your mind to race. Fear will encroach, near panic will ensue. You will either force yourself to go on, or turn back to the safety of civilization. The stories of your youth will sing in your ears, clearly and loudly.

And then you will think. I hould have stuck with the Rt 23 guardrail micros :laughing: `I know the shortcut , but you will really need your nerves of steel to make that walk, it knocks off a couple of miles, but takes you through even more forbidding landscape. Or you could drive in like Stayfloppy :D

Just who was cache ninja, signed on November 11,2000, placed first cache in NJ , 2 weeks later. Had more hides than finds. Of all his hides only 4 remain. 2 of which are here in NJ. Why, does Briansnat with all his hides still keep this one alive. No gallery photos of cache ninja appear--does that not also strike you as odd. His account is still active, but he makes no note nor hide nor find. Was he really a cacher or a Johnnycache seed. Remeber that Groundspeak began a scant 2 months before he hid Gerbil. Was this how the game began ?

Has anyone met Cache ninja ?

Edited by Packanack
Wow the "da\/|ds0n c^chE" is exactly the kind of example I'm looking for. No short way to get there on foot. Is parking at the Ramapo Reservation the most sensible place or is there another good option?

I think Stayfloopy drove to Davidson, but I've yet to figure out how he did it. I replaced the original container for Cache Ninja, but I think I cheated for that one and parked at Bear Swamp Lake. It might be the longest hike for a traditional cache in NJ if you come from the parking area on 202.

Middle a Nowhere was picked for the very reason that it was the farthest spot from any road that Team Magster could find (wish I knew what happened to him, he was a great guy and a good cache hider, but fell off the face of the earth). It is an ammo box, so even if it is abandoned, I'm sure it is in good shape. Someone built a camp near the cache when I had found it. Very unusual because it is in the middle of nowhere.

GC5 near Terrace Pond was the inspiration for Middle a Nowhere.

For a multi cache there is the NY/NY Multi State Multi Cache. That is a GOOD hike.

Has anyone met Cache ninja ?

Haven't met him, but I have corresponded with him. A man of few words. He does visit this forum. I think he even posted here a few months ago. It was once thought that he was the alter ego of another NJ cacher, but I don't think that is the case. He is a shadowy figure. Heck, he is probably reading this right now. I fixed Davidson because he asked me to (or I offered to and he accepted, I forget which).

Edited by briansnat

Yes, the cache ninja did post several months back, I think I chased him off by challenging his authenticity--he or she remains one of the great puzzles of geocaching. The name cache ninja has many permutations. Look to see how it shows on each of his hides. Who was that masked man ? Harry Dolphin gave me the link to the only known photo of cache ninja.

http://www.planetrogers.com/geocaching/villagevoice.jpg

Edited by Packanack

@Packanack: Wow the "da\/|ds0n c^chE" is exactly the kind of example I'm looking for. No short way to get there on foot. Is parking at the Ramapo Reservation the most sensible place or is there another good option?

I ran to up to "Davidson" from the middle of the Ramapo College campus, where I was living at the time. (My actual turnaround point was at the top of Bald Mountain, the Bergen County highpoint, where there used to be another cache.) Taking the fire roads, where the going was easy, it was around four miles each way. Parking in the Reservation lot on 202 will cut some distance off that. The only real closer parking would be in the mountain people's domain, which has been done.

Hey guys,

I'm pleased to report that I found the Davidson cache and several others today. I thought we'd get wet but the rain mostly held off. A great day of hiking and caching deep in the heart of Ramap Indian country.

Congrats! Did you have any encounters or attempt to bag the county high peak?