Create a new attribute for seasonial periods

BOBINES84

In southern France, in summer, access to forest areas may be prohibited or restricted.

It is also the case, I think, for Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal and some places in the UK - elsewhere, I do not know.

I have proposed to Groundspeak, to inform unfamiliar geocachers with these restrictions by creating a new "attribute" "Year" or "365" crossed out, suggesting a bit like the "Winter " Attribute, a possible difficulties for access .

It could be helpful for us in publishing new caches in forest areas, giving informations for foreign visitors about the laws (and possible penalties).

Thank you if you are interested to vote "FOR" on the Geocaching.com website - Attention this new site gives you only ten votes for all the proposals.

If not interested, never mind, you' re welcome for geocaching in Provence !

Thank you

Link to the Forum

I think anyone who wants to put a cache in a location that is only open/accessible at certain times of the year or in certain seasons, should find a better location.

Times of the day/night restrictions are fine and there is already an attribute for that, but caches that are not accessible for whole seasons? months at a time? Not my idea of a good place to put a cache.

I think anyone who wants to put a cache in a location that is only open/accessible at certain times of the year or in certain seasons, should find a better location.

Times of the day/night restrictions are fine and there is already an attribute for that, but caches that are not accessible for whole seasons? months at a time? Not my idea of a good place to put a cache.

You are possibly missing out on some amazing areas thinking like that.

Certain areas get locked down for a period of time due to risk of fire, mating season and other area/species specific reasons. See this one for example : Clicky

To just blindly ignore all those areas (you know, the ones you wouldn't have found/been to without caching) is a bit of a waste I think.

You are possibly missing out on some amazing areas thinking like that.

Certain areas get locked down for a period of time due to risk of fire, mating season and other area/species specific reasons. See this one for example

To just blindly ignore all those areas (you know, the ones you wouldn't have found/been to without caching) is a bit of a waste I think.

Thanks for that link. You're right and maybe I was wrong. It's not quite the "closed from October to April" kind of restriction that was running through my head when I read this post.

Certainly looks like an interesting place to visit.

One of my worries was that TBs and coins could be stuck in a cache for 6 months at a time, but I guess a note on the cache page not to put trackables in there would help with that.

The only other option I suppose would be to put the cache at the limits of the restricted area to take people to it then if it was open they could go and take a walk round and if it wasn't they would have at least seen somewhere they may want to return to another time.

I would certainly want to take a look round the ghost village, and it's not a million miles from home either, so I'm adding that to my 'Interesting' bookmark lists of caches to visit right now.

I wonder how common such locations are in the UK? I suppose without an attribute no one can tell :anitongue:

Thanks for taking the time to post the link.

One of my worries was that TBs and coins could be stuck in a cache for 6 months at a time, but I guess a note on the cache page not to put trackables in there would help with that.

This is exactly what has happened to one of my TBs which is now stuck in this cache in germany until at least April. No very thoughtful of the person who left it there, but I suppose at least it should be safe enough. :blink:

This is exactly what has happened to one of my TBs which is now stuck in this cache in germany until at least April. No very thoughtful of the person who left it there, but I suppose at least it should be safe enough. :blink:

Oh dear.

But having said that, there are other caches without seasonal restrictions where TBs can get stuck. One of ours has been in GC1J9AA for nearly 4 months. Despite the owner promising to move them on if they are in there too long (and an email to him asking for ours to be liberated).

(Sorry OP for going slightly OT, but this is perhaps a consideration for restricted access caches)

Thanks for all these ideas and informations.

It' for two reasons that i support this idea of Attribute:

First, is for TB & Gc, not to be fixed for too long in a cache

Second, if you know Provence (but it's the same in others countries in southern Europe), the most part of its countryside is under régulations since middle of June until middle of september. There is still possibility to visit forest but with a complicated regulation.

It's a pity not to make cache in such areas and it could be unfaithful from the Provence Geocachers not to inform about these regulations (and possibles penalties).

There is a "Winter" Attribute, why not a kind of Summer one ?

PS I'm sure having seen somewhere a UK regulation for forest ( perhaps a very limited use) - I will look for it, because there was a special interesting sign.

Anyway, thanks for your help, and (if interested) , please vote.

Edited by BOBINES84