Download GPX files

exfedup

When I download a GPX file to my notebook, it will not give me the decrypted hints . I can only get the encrypted copy. Should add that whe I download the encripted copy, the unencripting (sp?) featuire does not work. The notebook has Windows 7

Edited by exfedup

The gpx files are in an xml format, but the hint fields are encode using a very simple code known as "Rot13". ROT 13 is a simple letter substiturion code each letter is replaced by the thirteenth letter after the one being encoded.

manual decoding and encoding is simple using a key like this:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

NOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLM

to decode, find the letter on the second line and read the letter above it on the first line.

What I prefer though, is to use the programg "GPSBabel" from a bath file to translate the gpx file into an html file. GPSBabel decrypts the hints by default in the html file. I also use GPSBabel to create a kml file that can be view on google earth, to aid in planning my cashing trips.

The gpx files are in an xml format, but the hint fields are encode using a very simple code . . .

That's true for the web site . . . the hints are obscured using ROT13.

However, in a downloaded .gpx file, the hint is not obscured, it is in plain text.

For example:

<Groundspeak:encoded_hints>between</Groundspeak:encoded_hints>

The gpx files are in an xml format, but the hint fields are encode using a very simple code . . .

However, in a downloaded .gpx file, the hint is not obscured, it is in plain text.

For example:

Ok, Ok I am a low level techee cretin. I know that I can convert the hints manually. I was just trying to understand why when I download a GPX file where the hints have been translated, it shows up on my computer as encoded? Why must one always find a third party download to solve the oversight problems created by the original authors?

Ok, Ok I am a low level techee cretin. I know that I can convert the hints manually. I was just trying to understand why when I download a GPX file where the hints have been translated, it shows up on my computer as encoded? Why must one always find a third party download to solve the oversight problems created by the original authors?

OK, seeing that you have a Garmin, you can use BaseCamp and it will translate back and forth without any third party softwares: FREE GARMIN SOFTWARE

For example:

I don't think your grasping what people are asking and saying. The hints, as they come from Groundspeak, ARE NOT ENCODED. There is no oversight, the hints are in plain text and are not encoded. You can read them just fine in an editor like notepad.

Now the question you have avoided answering is what do you do with the gpx file *after* you download them? It is after you download the gpx file that the hints become encoded, that is the step we need to know about so we can help you.