hiking in north Jersey during hunting seasons

Fusilli Jerry

Hello Gents,

Here comes kind of a noob question for you. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

I'll be doing a lot of hiking this Autumn. How does hunting season affect where, when, and how I hike around north Jersey?

I know about wearing bright colors but what else do I need to know? Also, is there any etiquette I need to know?

I see tons of empty tree stands when bushwacking through the woods. I figure pretty soon I'll see some that are occupied.

Thanks!

Hello Gents,

Here comes kind of a noob question for you. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

I'll be doing a lot of hiking this Autumn. How does hunting season affect where, when, and how I hike around north Jersey?

I know about wearing bright colors but what else do I need to know? Also, is there any etiquette I need to know?

I see tons of empty tree stands when bushwacking through the woods. I figure pretty soon I'll see some that are occupied.

Thanks!

First wear floresant orange .At least on your head. I don't know if Jersey allows hunting on Sunday so check it out and you May have a day when no hunters are in the woods. If you know where the tree stands are avoid them. Nothing p@#ses a hunter off more than someone walking thru their hunting area especially early in the AM and before dark.You may ruin their whole days hunt just by walking thru at the wrong time even if it's just for a few minutes.

I would check with fish and game in NJ to see when the seasons start and end.

Because you may get yourself killed by improper information given you on an internet forum, I would suggest you do your own research. Thereby relieving us of the obligatory feeling bad if it was our infomation that gets you killed. :)

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hunting.htm

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/njregs.htm#hunting

Generaly, there was no hunting on Sundays---but guess what that is now changed. There is some hunting now on Sunday. So do not take that for granted. Check you location before you hike , some locations are no hunt areas. Be picky and go there. Orange is not the best color to wear for hiking, but it is the most common. HI Viz Pink is more visible than orange. Suggest you google Hi Viz Safety Vest. Yellow or Pink are more visible than orange. I think you would rock in hot pink Hi Viz.

NJ Hunting Laws are among the most complicated in the nation, and for that reason numbers of hunters is in decline. Nobody wants to have to deal with it. Oh, third tuesday in November --that is velvet antlered spikehorns taken by machete or bowie knife only-- an exageration but not by much.

What I find personally disturbing is the ability to take Feral Hogs in Deer Season in Section 25. That is what I mean by complicated, and there are some amongst us who may be put to risk.

Edited by Packanack

Thanks for the feedback gents!

some locations are no hunt areas. Be picky and go there

Are there places in north Jersey one should simply not hike during hunting season (assuming we know when that is)? Or just try to avoid those areas when you have other options.

NJ Hunting Laws are among the most complicated in the nation

I checked out the links and indeed the different games regs and season dates are complex for the layman. There must be a dozen PDF's for all the different game. I guess there's no simple calendar that just shows the dates?

Are hikers really expected to know when hunting may be taking place around here?

Here is a better link to help you.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...Uu99j70wUGiCgjA

I was serious about the Hi Viz Pink and Hi Viz Yellow. Got an E Mail taking me to task for being a smart a, but I really wasn't, this time. I ride a bike and remember a study saying that Hi Viz Pink and Hi Viz Yellow are two colors that do not exist in nature, that is why they stand out. Orange is too close to natural colors so it can blend.When the weather cools a bit more we will be starting up our Sunrise Stepoff Hikes again and you are welcomed to join us.

Actually much of the year is hunting season for something in NJ. Of course deer season is the big one and is the one you really need to worry about because of its popularity.

Bow season should be starting soon, if it hasn't already. Because bows have such a short range the odds of being mistaken for a deer are very low.

Shotgun season is a different story. But for deer it only lasts a week, sometime in December (I think the first week, but don't quote me on that). There is also a muzzleloader season, but I don't think it's all that popular so isn't a concern.

There will also be a bear season this year, unless the animal rights folks win their suit. Not sure when that is, but I think it's in Dec.

I'd definitely stay out of any WMA during firearms season for deer and bear. Other than that I don't worry much about hunting. I keep a hunter orange baseball hat in my pack and if I see evidence of hunters (usually cars parked in places where you don't usually see cars parked), I put it on.

Edited by briansnat

Hey guys,

Deer and Bear shotgun season begins Monday the 6th and runs through the 11th in New Jersey

Briansnat suggested staying out of WMA's during this time period which is probably a good idea.

Can anyone recommend some good hiking areas that do not allow hunting during the next week?

I'm going to do some research now but your recommendations are appreciated.

Sorry Packanack, I havn't had time to buy any pink vests. lol.

Central park, NYC. Seriously......around this time of year it can not be beat. I told my wife that if she gets up early next sunday I will shoe her the sights

Last time I tried to shoe my wife she said the nails hurt too much.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week...

Seriously though, I have the same problems here in long Island. It's really hard to tell the diffeent seasons for different targets in land managed by different agencies. I've heard that DEC agents were out last week telling people they couldn't hike on DEC lands without a hunting permit.

Deer and Bear shotgun season begins Monday the 6th and runs through the 11th in New Jersey

Briansnat suggested staying out of WMA's during this time period which is probably a good idea.

Can anyone recommend some good hiking areas that do not allow hunting during the next week?

Ramapo Valley County Reservation does not permit hunting of any kind (though it is connected to Ramapo Mountain State Forest and Ringwood State Park, which do allow hunting in some areas).

Harriman State Park, just a little north of the border in NY is a great park - there is no hunting allowed in this park (well, there is a small portion of the park west of the 87 that allows hunting, but the "better" park of the park is *excellent* and does not permit hunting).

Bill

so the "gerbiL cacHe" would be ok to go for during the 6 day shotgun season?

i missed the recent event but want to get up there. on the other hand, i was considering saving this for a milestone or snowshoe attempt

gerBiL is definitely well within the "safe zone" of Ramapo Valley County Park..

Bill

Edited by wjgrun

so the "gerbiL cacHe" would be ok to go for during the 6 day shotgun season?

i missed the recent event but want to get up there. on the other hand, i was considering saving this for a milestone or snowshoe attempt

gerBiL is definitely well within the "safe zone" of Ramapo Valley County Park..

Bill

See info link below.

http://www.nynjtc.org/content/top-10-nohun...-and-new-jersey

Well, I'm not a hunter. But I have no objections to hunting. I've met more than a few hunters on the trails, and never had any problems. But, I will try to stay away from hunting areas during hunting season. Thank goodness for Sundays!

I've also met a lot of bears while hiking. I understand the reasons for bear hunting. But Andy Bear will not be out in the woods, except for Sundays! 231 of his cousins were killed on Monday. But, you know, I'd be pretty upset if any of the bears that I've met, and named caches after were killed. Cindy Bear, Patti Bear, Bonzo Bear, Jockey Bear, Bear on the Loose (Oh. He's in Central Park...) Guess I'm taking it personally?

Well, I'm not a hunter. But I have no objections to hunting. I've met more than a few hunters on the trails, and never had any problems. But, I will try to stay away from hunting areas during hunting season. Thank goodness for Sundays!

I've also met a lot of bears while hiking. I understand the reasons for bear hunting. But Andy Bear will not be out in the woods, except for Sundays! 231 of his cousins were killed on Monday. But, you know, I'd be pretty upset if any of the bears that I've met, and named caches after were killed. Cindy Bear, Patti Bear, Bonzo Bear, Jockey Bear, Bear on the Loose (Oh. He's in Central Park...) Guess I'm taking it personally?

589 total for the 6 day hunt. That's sad to hear but supposedly it's better for the species as a whole to thin the herd now and then. I know that most of the bear encounters I've experienced were in the last couple of years. Didn't see any in my first three or so years of hiking in NNJ.