do people just not get it

It becomes political when politics are involved. :laughing:

So... If Senator Smith prefers Fred's, while Senator Jones prefers Bill's, soda becomes political? :laughing:

Only if either Senator tries to bring in some sort of government control. If Senator Smith wants to charge more sales tax on Bill's soda, or if Senator Jones tries to raise property taxes on Fred's factories, then it becomes political. :laughing:

It becomes political when politics are involved. :laughing:

So... If Senator Smith prefers Fred's, while Senator Jones prefers Bill's, soda becomes political? :laughing:

If the senate passed a law to ban Fred's Cola, or to subsidise Bill's Cola, then it would be political.

As for guns, it got political when it was introduced as the second ammendment to your constitution.

Edited by Andronicus

Blatant political agendas tagged on the end of Cache logs...

On my way home from the Second Amendment Foundation Gun Rights Policy Conference (visit link) from SFO down to Taft.

Get real people...regardless of how I feel about where you spent your weekend, let's not abuse the game here by using it as a soapbox.

Hmm is there more to this than just this little statement? Agenda? maybe (the link). Soapbox? I think you would have to get off of it in order for someone else to get on.

My opinion is that your statement has more of an agenda than his and only one of you is on a soapbox (you).

I'm going to take a stab and make a wild guess... pro gun much?

On my way home from the Second Amendment Foundation Gun Rights Policy Conference (visit link) from SFO down to Taft.

Get real people...regardless of how I feel about where you spent your weekend, let's not abuse the game here by using it as a soapbox.

Hmm is there more to this than just this little statement? Agenda? maybe (the link). Soapbox? I think you would have to get off of it in order for someone else to get on.

My opinion is that your statement has more of an agenda than his and only one of you is on a soapbox (you).

I'm going to take a stab and make a wild guess... pro gun much?

Does it matter?

I mean getting on a soapbox is the picture of standing on a street corner getting on top of a box and saying hey listen to me. Well which of the two OP or log guy did that? To me any forum topic opener is essentially on a soapbox no?

In the USA like it or not gun rights is something guaranteed by the constitution. It should not be a political issue unless you are trying to change that. If you go with the current laws in place that is not a political agenda. It is sticking with the status quo.

What if the log guy had said that he crossed the street at a crosswalk on the way to a city council meeting on the topic of not jaywalking. Is that an agenda or stating fact. The only line the log guy crossed was (in my opinion) posting the link.

Does it matter?

I mean getting on a soapbox is the picture of standing on a street corner getting on top of a box and saying hey listen to me. Well which of the two OP or log guy did that? To me any forum topic opener is essentially on a soapbox no?

So you're going to be critical of the OP for using the forums for their intended purpose? What?

In the USA like it or not gun rights is something guaranteed by the constitution. It should not be a political issue unless you are trying to change that. If you go with the current laws in place that is not a political agenda. It is sticking with the status quo.

There are people on both sides that would argue that parts of your statement are incorrect and that's a can of worms best left for the OT forum. But pro or con, it's a political discussion. You can't have a front without a back and you can't discuss one without the other. The two sides are inseparable and to evoke one is to provoke the other.

What if the log guy had said that he crossed the street at a crosswalk on the way to a city council meeting on the topic of not jaywalking. Is that an agenda or stating fact. The only line the log guy crossed was (in my opinion) posting the link.

Apples to aardvarks. Martian aardvarks with six legs. There is no debate, no pro and con. You want a good barometer for "is this a political topic"?? It's this: has a thread in general discussion ever been shut down because people couldn't keep it out of a thread and is there a 15 page discussion on it Off Topic.

Does it matter?

So you're going to be critical of the OP for using the forums for their intended purpose? What?

There are people on both sides that would argue that parts of your statement are incorrect and that's a can of worms best left for the OT forum. But pro or con, it's a political discussion. You can't have a front without a back and you can't discuss one without the other. The two sides are inseparable and to evoke one is to provoke the other.

Apples to aardvarks. Martian aardvarks with six legs. There is no debate, no pro and con. You want a good barometer for "is this a political topic"?? It's this: has a thread in general discussion ever been shut down because people couldn't keep it out of a thread and is there a 15 page discussion on it Off Topic.

Not being critical of the opening poster, nor standing on a soapbox. Simply saying it is funny to stand on a soapbox while telling someone else to get off of one when it has not even been confirmed that log guy was on one to begin with.

I'll stop with the gun rights issue since that in and of itself is off topic sorry I went down that route. :laughing:

If that Trimble advertisement is permitted then whatever links posted should be permitted.

-Replied to from my Gateway® using my Microsoft® keyboard.

Trimble pays Groundspeak, so they are likely allowed

-Replied to from my Dell® running Microsoft Windows XP® using my Dell® keyboard and my Microsoft® mouse while viewing on my dull Dell® monitors, trasmited via Cisco® network gear (routers switches etc).....

Edited by Andronicus

Right there with ya Robert. Same goes for "On my way home from church/mass/sunday school" etc...

Right there with ya Robert. Same goes for "On my way home from church/mass/sunday school" etc...

"On my way home from church" is not promoting anything. "On my way home from The Church of The Almighty Transistor. (visit link) Worship the technology" would be.

"On my way home from church" is not promoting anything. "On my way home from The Church of The Almighty Transistor. (visit link) Worship the technology" would be.

Agreed. To me, the link makes the difference in this situation.

Agreed. To me, the link makes the difference in this situation.

Even the detail make puts it over the top. Instead of "On my way home from the Second Amendment Foundation Gun Rights Policy Conference (visit link) from SFO down to Taft." they could have said "On my way home from a constitutional rights conference." A simple statement without taking sides in a log on a geocache.

If that Trimble advertisement is permitted then whatever links posted should be permitted.

If the NRA starts making cooperative efforts to develop software for caching and promote caching, then that makes sense. Until then... :unsure:

This should not make a difference. We all make cooperative efforts to promote caching on a daily basis by simply taking part, talking on these forums, sharing with our friends, etc. Either you do want advertisements allowed, or you don't. But it is grossly unfair to allow it to some, but not to others, especially when some is a sponsor, and others are your entire geocaching population.

If the NRA starts making cooperative efforts to develop software for caching and promote caching, then that makes sense. Until then... :unsure:

This should not make a difference. We all make cooperative efforts to promote caching on a daily basis by simply taking part, talking on these forums, sharing with our friends, etc. Either you do want advertisements allowed, or you don't. But it is grossly unfair to allow it to some, but not to others, especially when some is a sponsor, and others are your entire geocaching population.

Huh? What does our individual efforts to promote caching have to do with keeping the cache page politics and agenda free?

Your opinion is that the entire population somehow advertise when they log a cache? The NRA is the entire geocaching population?

You've completely lost me.

Personally I like seeing what other cachers are up to. I don't mind a simple plug. We tend to be of like mind in at least geocaching so we may have other interests that are similar as well. I do think he could have left off the link. I could easily google it if I were interested. The link is the only problem in my opinion.

I will say though that it is not a soapbox issue.

The non political agenda rules don't apply to trackables though.

Vote McCain Geocoin!

Vote Obama Geocoin!

:unsure:

My first reaction to this was "What, are they two sides of the same coin? Now THAT would be funny." Alas! As to the OT, I must agree that it's the link that makes the difference. If it could raise ire, no matter the topic, if ONE group plays EVERYBODY gets to play and that would just be too much.

Edited because I can't type.

Edited by Butterfly Fox

Vote McCain Geocoin!

Vote Obama Geocoin!

:ph34r:

That's true, and I own several agenda based Geocoins and Travel bugs...things are different when you pay for the rights. sooo...if someone want's to make a

"Second Amendment Foundation Gun Rights Policy Conference Travel Bug", then have at it.

That's true, and I own several agenda based Geocoins and Travel bugs...things are different when you pay for the rights. sooo...if someone want's to make a

"Second Amendment Foundation Gun Rights Policy Conference Travel Bug", then have at it.

Heck, I can confirm that there's already one out there. I picked it up and moved it on just like I would have any other trackable. Some of the previous finder had made an issue out of it, but I just didn't see the point. It's not like I'm going to change anybody's mind in a TB log.

Vote McCain Geocoin!

Vote Obama Geocoin!

:ph34r:

"I can't attend your 10-10-10 event but I'm dropping in a Second Amendment Foundation Gun Rights Coin". Click [link] for more information."

I saw one of these logs and didn't take offense at the time. I had actually run into this cacher at another cache that same day (where he did not mention the conference in his log), and he had told me he was on his way back from San Francisco (after I asked him where he was coming from), but he didn't tell me why he was in San Francisco. I thought it was nice when I read the log later that told me where he was, even if I wasn't interested enough to click the link.

It would probably be hypocritical for me to complain about this kind of log anyway, as I tend to drop random things into my logs to try to keep them interesting, rather than just the boring "TFTC", but it would bother me perhaps to see the same message on a hundred caches in the same day.

Edited by kablooey