do people just not get it

Sounds like somebody doesn't like gun rights. Either way, that looks to be the name of the event he was attending.

If he said something like "On my way home from a convention advocating the RIGHT FOR EVER FREE AMERICAN TO BEAR ARMS DAG NABBIT! AND IF THAT 'OBAMA BIN LYIN' COMES TO TAKE'EM THAT'LL BE THE END OF THIS GREAT COUNTRY!".... Hmm THEN I'd be thinking he was pushing an agenda.

If I say "I was on my way home from a wonderful dinner at IHOP when we stopped by to grab this cache" I'm not advocating the rights of Pancakes or have some super subliminal agenda :)

Edited by Dragery

Sounds like somebody doesn't like gun rights. Either way, that looks to be the name of the event he was attending.

If he said something like "On my way home from a convention advocating the RIGHT FOR EVER FREE AMERICAN TO BEAR ARMS DAG NABBIT! AND IF THAT 'OBAMA BIN LYIN' COMES TO TAKE'EM THAT'LL BE THE END OF THIS GREAT COUNTRY!".... Hmm THEN I'd be thinking he was pushing an agenda.

If I say "I was on my way home from a wonderful dinner at IHOP when we stopped by to grab this cache" I'm not advocating the rights of Pancakes or have some super subliminal agenda :)

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!

rolleyes.gif

Blatant political agendas tagged on the end of Cache logs...

On my way home from the Second Amendment Foundation Gun Rights Policy Conference (visit link) from SFO down to Taft.

Get real people...regardless of how I feel about where you spent your weekend, let's not abuse the game here by using it as a soapbox.

I would disagree with you if they had not listed, and mentioned, the link. Otherwise there'd have been no harm, nor foul. Including the link made it into more than just a post saying where they'd just come from, such as in the IHOP reference in an earlier reply.

It is STILL much ado about nothing.

Mac

It's the link that really seals it for me, and the complete name...

so if you said

"I was on my way home from a wonderful Rutti Tutti Fresh and Fruiti breakfast at IHOP(link to IHOP) when we stopped by to grab this cache"

Then you're over the line.

Just to mention that you're on your way home from a convention, or even a gun rights convention is perfectly normal, like it is a conversation, but turning it into a link and an advertisement if pushing it.

Sounds like somebody doesn't like gun rights.

You Talkin' to ME?

Haha, no problem with gun rights. That statement sounds like something one would use just to make me into the opposition. You can't turn me into a bad guy just by saying something like that. Just because I don't like people thumping their religion on my doorstep doesn't mean I hate God. Get real.

It has nothing to do with gun rights, just to do with having to read about this guys personal politics in every cache I'm watching that he visited.

First of all, if someone putting a link in their log to something you don't agree with will spell the end of the game for you, your not playing right.

That being said, if someone left a link on their log, on one of my caches, I would send them a note asking them to remove said link. I doubt I would delete their log if they didn't, unless the log was way out of line. ( a while back someone was leaving a link to a racist website, that would get deleted with no warning.)

I have seen several links lately, mostly for some types of businesses. I really don't like it, but I don't let it bother me if it ain't my cache.

It's not a question of someone liking or not liking guns but whether links to "political" subjects are allowed in logs.

If it's okay to post a link to a gun event, then someone will say they should be able to post links to some other hot topic.

Geocaching is supposed to be a fun, neutral, hobby. That's what I like about it. I have no idea what political affiliation someone is, and I don't really care. As long as we're having fun, that's all that matters.

there's an entire cache near work that is dedicated to the kenyan.

OK, I have to admit that one took me minute. :wub:

I wouldn't have gotten it. Then again, I never heard of a Segway before today. :)

Definitely an agenda. Some guy from Canada was forced to edit over 1,000 cache logs which had an agenda (a signature, so to speak) for Plasma or Blood donations or something. I suppose I'm going to have to look that up now. :wub:

A lot of this stuff winds up being shades of grey (yet argued here in black and white, predictably enough), but I'll admit that including a hyperlink in the log makes me arch an eyebrow a bit.

Agreed.

It's one thing to say I grabbed this on the way back from /fill in event name here/, but it's different when a link is then provided to the event.

If it's a log on your cache, it's yours to delete as far as I'm concerned.

It's folks that take this game so seriously and want so many rules with no leeway that will wind up ruining it for me, truth be told. A game like this should require basic guidelines, not hard-lined rules. If it hadn't been for some people logging the fact that they'd eaten at a certain restaurant near a couple of caches that I found a while back, I'd have never tried that restaurant. And I like that restaurant. They had a link too.

On the other hand, I have not been on board with certain other logs that have been seen lately, namely those that have NOTHING to do with a found cache (or attended event) and are used for personal gain only. Maybe that's a double standard, I don't know. It's not like the guy was trying to sell you something in his log, and that might be where I draw the line. Just mi dos centavos.

First of all, if someone putting a link in their log to something you don't agree with will spell the end of the game for you, your not playing right.

I don't know why people are assuming that I have any agreement or disagreement with the content of what is linked to, the statements and links just do not belong there(tacked on the end of every log).

Still don't get. What is "the kenyan"? :laughing:

It's an oblique reference to the president.

Guess I'm a little slow today, I still don't get it

It plays to the debate over his citizenship and his failure to produce a birth certificate.

Maybe that discussion could take place over in Off Topic...(here you go... http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=260751 )

There is a certain segment of our population who feels it incumbent on them to devalue our president in any way possible. One of their most persistent (and most easily disproved) claims is that Obama isn't eligible to be Prez, because he wasn't born in the US. This claim has been disproved over and over, and the fake birth certificates doctored up to "prove" Obama isn't a natural born citizen have been shown to be bogus as well.

There have been a number of lawsuits intended to "show" Obama isn't eligible, all of which have been thrown out of court due to a complete lack of credible evidence.

This of course doesn't slow down the believers -- they just come back with the same tired claims.

Yeah, I'm really tired of all the stupid conspiracy theories. If people would bother to look anywhere except www.rabidconspiracyfreak.com for their info (like a place that actually does research, and examines the evidence), these fabrications would die a quick death. That course of action of course doesn't appeal to the diehards, so on and on go the tall tales.

You asked.

Edited to add: Sorry Robert -- I was composing this as you posted.

Edited by mountainman38

It plays to the debate over his citizenship and his failure to produce a birth certificate.

Maybe that discussion could take place over in Off Topic...(here you go... http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=260751 )

Yes, let's stay on topic, which is questions about what's appropriate in logs and refrain from off-topic political jokes/discussions. Thanks.

It's not a question of someone liking or not liking guns but whether links to "political" subjects are allowed in logs.

Way off topic, but this caused me to wonder, how many people need to whine about a topic before it gets labeled as "political"?

Should we accept, as a given, that some topics are political, simply because of the number of people who shout about them?

For instance, if I said "I like Fred's Cola", (or some other imaginary brand), would that be political?

If a few hundred thousand of my peers also said, "I like Fred's Cola", does the sheer volume of proponents make it political?

What if several members of said horde were political figures? Would that make Fred's Cola a political subject?

Or does there need to be an opposing team before it becomes political?

Maybe a few hundred thousand contrary folks proclaiming "I like Bill's Cola", including a smattering of politicians?

Now is the cola issue political?

Just babbling... never mind the ole fat balding cripple muttering in the corner. :laughing:

Way off topic, but this caused me to wonder, how many people need to whine about a topic before it gets labeled as "political"?

Since the link war to a gun rights policy convention I think it's an automatically political tag. Is there a question as to whether Gun rights policy is or isn't political?

Haha, if that's a quiet "Meh" I'd hate to get in a real debate.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I wouldn't have gotten it. Then again, I never heard of a Segway before today. :laughing:

Hope you didn't have a job interview with inventor today. :D

What a weird way to die. Makes you wonder about those things if the inventor has control issues with it.

First time I ever saw a Segway I said they were unsafe, no way no how would I ever ride one, they just loiok like a hard face plant waiting to happen.

AS to the Original Topic, uncalled for. While a link to a pro gun site wouldn't offend me a link to an anti gun site would, so in all fairness both (and all others) would be removed from my caches.

Is there a question as to whether Gun rights policy is or isn't political?

Yeah, gun rights, (as well as abortion, illegal aliens and the death penalty, among others), somehow automatically get labelled as "political". I'm OK with that. What I was pondering was the process involved. If I wanted to get an issue like Fred's Cola vs Bill's Cola listed amongst the great political discussions of ages gone by, how would I go about it? Is there any empirical data detailing how a topic goes from being annoying to some, important to others, to being political? What is it, specifically, that grants political status to such melodrama? :laughing:

You know Clan Riffster I was starting to think you were sane. Then you actually dissed on A-frame trailers and now you say you like FRED'S cola?? You have obviously breathed in way too much lead down at the range!!! :laughing:

Just kidding of course. Got to pick on the LEO's it's my job. :D

How does one make something political or how does it become political. Easy just attach a hot button issue to it, it works for even the most innocuous of things. Let's take the most innocent of creatures as an example, puppies. Of course I picked puppies because cats suck!!!

See how easy that was?

Now I could leave that as is and get a ton of hateful responses. Why? Because cats don't suck? No, because people feel strongly about that issue and that's all politics is in the end. Feelings.

Is there a question as to whether Gun rights policy is or isn't political?

Yeah, gun rights, (as well as abortion, illegal aliens and the death penalty, among others), somehow automatically get labelled as "political". I'm OK with that. What I was pondering was the process involved. If I wanted to get an issue like Fred's Cola vs Bill's Cola listed amongst the great political discussions of ages gone by, how would I go about it? Is there any empirical data detailing how a topic goes from being annoying to some, important to others, to being political? What is it, specifically, that grants political status to such melodrama? :laughing:

It becomes political when politics are involved. :D

Blatant political agendas tagged on the end of Cache logs...

On my way home from the Second Amendment Foundation Gun Rights Policy Conference (visit link) from SFO down to Taft.

Get real people...regardless of how I feel about where you spent your weekend, let's not abuse the game here by using it as a soapbox.

Hmm is there more to this than just this little statement? Agenda? maybe (the link). Soapbox? I think you would have to get off of it in order for someone else to get on.

My opinion is that your statement has more of an agenda than his and only one of you is on a soapbox (you).

Edited by jameyp